•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Newbie needs help picking binoculars.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#26 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 December 2003 - 05:31 PM

Glad to see the Boone-oculars were found. :) They really get distressed when they lose things.

I ordered a couple of pairs of Celestron 10X50's for $23.95CDN a pair. Heavens and Earth had a good deal, and I don't pay PST in BC because the store is in Alberta. I even get free delivery to Langley. :jump:

#27 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 December 2003 - 05:34 PM

One more thing. Are 10X50 going to be good magnification for the boys? They are supposed to be small light-weight rubberized binocs by Celestron. They are on backorder, so I can cancel, or change, if the feedback is not positive.

thanks..

#28 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 December 2003 - 05:56 PM

10x50s are small? For you and me they are about the perfect size, for small hands I'm not so sure. I can only relate the the Nikon 10x50s that I've seen though, I've not seen the celestrons.

What is PST (some sort of tax I assume). great price!

#29 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 20 December 2003 - 06:31 PM

I'm delighted that the lost binos were found , but I have a hunch that 10 x 50s are too big for a 4 year old.

clear skies --Kenny .

#30 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 December 2003 - 10:36 PM

Thanks for all the help with the binocs info. I found some Tasco 8x21's for $19.34CDN and Walmart. We picked up a couple pairs for the boys. The are small and light. Should be good for them to see the "faraway mountains" and the skies..

PS I settled on a Synta Sky-Watcher 90mm refractor with AZ3 mount for a scope. I decided I needed to keep it real simple with the ability to do terrestrial as well as experiment with my camera later. Dickinson says some good things about it as starter scope. With all the things in my life, I just want to pick up the scope and run outside and look. If I get into it, I'll get a second scope later.

#31 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 December 2003 - 10:41 PM

Good choices, David...Enjoy your scope and I hope the kids enjoy their new binocs! You have the right attitude and a good scope to help you decide.

#32 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 December 2003 - 12:39 PM

Hello again,

Thought I'd ask my question here also! Has anyone compared the Pentax 20+60's against the Oberwerk 20+80's either the standard or lightweight models? I cannot make up my mind which to purchase?

Thank You,
Happy new Years!
Ray A.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics