•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Simple Question related to maintenance of a C8

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2005 - 12:13 AM

Hi All,

Just after some advice on servicing an old Orange C8. In recent times I have found the DEC gear / thread to become a little stiff / ceased and was thinking of lubricating it. What is best to use, does it really matter, will any old oil do such as WD40? What are peoples thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Michael

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2005 - 12:14 AM

Oops, should have added I am talking about the slow motion control, at the bottom of the fork mount (just in case it isnt clear).

Thanks

M

#3 Tim2723

Tim2723

The Moon Guy

Posted 14 April 2005 - 09:40 AM

Hi Michael, and welcome to Cloudy Nights.

For most applications, it's best to avoid lubricants that can run into other components or evaporate away, leaving residues where you don't want them. There are several popular choices, but the most common is white lithium grease, available at auto supply stores. About three bucks for a lifetime supply. Good for stiff focusers too.

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2005 - 06:40 PM

Thanks for the reply. I was a little suspicious of common lubricants for the reasons you sugges so I guess I will have to go and track the White Lithium Grease down....

#5 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 14 April 2005 - 07:22 PM

I'd recommend Super Lube Grease over any lithium soap-based product. It's available at Radio Shack as, IIRC, "Lubricating Gel". It's a Teflon-bearing product with synthetic base stock.

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2005 - 06:21 PM

Well I ended up going with the lithium based product and now the RA is as smooth as a babies bot bot..... Thanks for the advice, now I find the Dec needs a similar treatment (you dont notice these things till you fix one of them and then say 'hey shouldnt they all run so smooth')

Thanks again

Michael

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics