•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Performance of 8.5x44 vs 9x63 vs 10x50?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
52 replies to this topic

#51 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 January 2004 - 05:17 PM

Okay, I hope we are over that hump now. I joke like I did with Gord about Big Bino Viewers (I did actually think his post was about binoviewers until I read it), and with Ed-C about viewing meteors with bins. I can see how people might take me wrong and think I'm being sarcastic or "haughty". Often innocent remarks start "flame wars" over what was actually a misunderstanding. As a writer/teacher, I'm well aware the differences of communicating in person and in print. The problem with print is that, despite symbols and gremlins, the subtext to the message is often unclear since you can't hear the voice or see the face. As humans we rely heavily on nonverbal communication, and we need to be sensitive to that fact while not losing our sense of humor or our individual perspectives. No easy task!

On the Internet, we add another layer, the fact that we're communicating with people from different cultures. For example, Brits have a different sense of humor than Americans. I was over in England as an exchange student and went to see a Tom Stoppard play, and the English girl I was with had to explain many of the references that eluded me. Similarly, when we went to a Woody Allen film, I had to "translate" the funny lines, and then she'd laugh out of synch with the film. People probably thought we were nuts.

As far as the point of contention, having recently viewed the night sky through big bins for the first time in a long while, I can see how small aperture/low magnification bins may seem almost like naked eye views, particulary if you observe from a dark site. However, when observing from my light polluted backyard, even 7X35s greatly improve contrast and resolution, particuarly on bright objects such Andromeda and the Orion Nebula. Some nights I can't even see Andromeda overhead without bins.

Plus, I also like birding so I appreciate a bin that I can use for both hobbies. The views through my 8X32 SE are stunning on a clear night even though the image scale is small. Though I prefer handheld bins, I also enjoy the views through higher power big bins, even though it takes more work (I have to take out a tripod and put out my Skywindow to cool down, just like a telescope, so I figure I might as well take out the telescope). But I do appreciate the increased contrast and enhanced comfort of viewing the night sky with two eyes, hence why I have big bins.

#52 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 January 2004 - 08:33 PM

Stick around Kenny... and Everyone!

I would not have learn't so much in such a short period of time WITHOUT the huge variation of opinions and the debates they triggered :grin:

AND... I must say that of the few forums I have dared join, this would be by far the most constructive, friendly, and overall :) "great place to hang around" that I have come across!

It's our differences, our varied experience, and our willingness to share this with others that makes the world (and this forum) go round...

#53 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 January 2004 - 10:48 AM

Hello All,
I'm with Frilby, Ed and the entire gang on all your points.
Lets go back to yack'in about the topic! We need EVERYONE!

Regards,
Ray A.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics