•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

StarMax 127 or Intes Micro M503

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 April 2005 - 12:11 PM

Does anyone know how these 2 scopes compare? I can get a new Starmax 127 with EQ mount for about the same price as a used m503 OTA.

Is there any advantage, optically or otherwise, from one to the other?

Thanks,

Patrick

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 15 April 2005 - 02:05 PM

I have the Starmax and find it to be pretty good for basic scope for solar system objects and bright DSO. It does have its limitations, though.

The major differences between the two scopes are the f number and the size of the visual back.

The Starmax is f12.1 with a smaller secondary than the M503. This should help bring out some shading that might be harder to see visually. The smaller obstruction will also help *slightly* with splitting double stars because of the diffraction pattern. The Starmax is limited to 1.25 inch accessories because of the size of the visual back. However, this visual back also has a T-thread built-in.

The Ites has the advantage to using 2 inch SCT accessories, allowing wider FOV and focal reducers for photography. The slightly lower f number will help with faint extended objects slightly.

Both should work very well on planets and the moon as well as DSOs that can stand magnification (open clusters & globs).

If I had to do it all over again, I would still get the Starmax, as I like the mount package for starters.

Hope this helps,

Stephen

#3 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 15 April 2005 - 09:05 PM

Stephen covers it well. The M503 is the Mak version of Celestron's C5. It is an all round scope. I use my M503 from 25x and up.

But the shorter focal ratio PLUS the fact it can take long focal length 2" EPs means it can have larger exit pupils, which is the indicator of image brightness. The Intes also has better baffles.

But unlike Stephen, I would still buy my M503 if I could do it again. I am not a big fan of package deals. You are sure to get a mix of opinions here. :lol:

#4 PMB

PMB

Viking 1

Posted 16 April 2005 - 08:37 AM

I have owned the 503 and used a 127. If I were to do it over again I would wait for a used 503 on Amart. They are a better build and are of the Rumak design which you can collimate. Again, 2" EP ready, thats a big advantage. Many of the used 503 on there are almost new and are a good buy. If this is your main scope and you plan to use it alot I would go 503. If its just a second grab and go and you are more curious and dont plan to hang on to it, I'd go 127. Just my thought. Good luck!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics