•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Teeter #66 - A 14.5" Truss Dobsonian Telescope

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Olivier Biot

Olivier Biot

Amused

• topic starter

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:13 PM

Teeter #66 - A 14.5" Truss Dobsonian Telescope Review

#2 Bob Abraham

Bob Abraham

Messenger

• -----

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:02 AM

This is a superb review. Thank you very much for putting it together!

Bob

#3 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:45 PM

Very nice review. It should be of benefit to anyone building a Dob or assembling a kit.

Thank you for sharing.

#4 rockethead26

rockethead26

Cosmos

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:55 PM

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen!

#5 WOBentley

WOBentley

Deep Sky Denizen

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:24 PM

Great Review of what appears to be a great product with very good customer service also! A beautiful scope, enjoy!

#6 RogerLaureys

RogerLaureys

Mariner 2

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:04 AM

This is how a review should be!!!
Thanks for using your time to inform us

#7 rockethead26

rockethead26

Cosmos

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:32 PM

An Update...

Rob asked me to send in my focuser board from the UTA with the too large hole for the Moonlight focuser that has been bugging me so he can replace it with a new board with the proper sized hole. Removal of the board was simple and required removing only 4 brass screws. He asked for the focuser as well so he could remount the focuser in the same orientation to make installing the new board as painless as possible for me.

In the other thread on the reflector forum discussing this review, Rob noted that he will, from now on, have each board cut to the proper sized hole for Moonlight or FeatherTouch focusers. I'm very glad that he took my bother seriously enough to do that.

This is another great example of superb customer service from Rob especially after the sale. However, as I said in the review, I knew he would make this right for me. Even though I was dragging my heels on making a decision, he jumped in and made the offer. I know I harped on this a bit much on the review, but I will be a much happier camper when I receive the new board, and future owners of Teeter's Telescopes will not have to worry about it.

When the board returns to me, there will be no remaining issues as the new mirror bumbers arrived and after installation, solved the mirror movement issue. Now the mirror cannot slide side to side more than about 1/16" during transport. Collimation usually only takes a couple of quick tweaks and in less than 5 minutes, I'm ready to go.

This telescope is (or will be soon when I get the new focuser board) dang near perfect.

Thanks Rob! :jump:

#8 rockethead26

rockethead26

Cosmos

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:46 PM

A quick update.

I just received my new focuser board from Rob today. My focuser had developed a rough spot on the course focuser, so Rob offered to send it to Moonlight for repair while he was preparing the new board if I would send the old board with the focuser mounted so he could take some measurements before removing the focuser.

It took a bit longer than expected for Moonlight to turn around the repair, but I received what looks like a brand new focuser, or at least a brand new draw tube. The new draw tube has machined grooves on the inside bottom 2 inches of the draw tube to cut down on reflections which my old focuser did not have. Bonus! The dual speed foocuser is buttery smooth on both controls now and the new board looks much better, too! Thanks, Rob. :thanx:

I installed the new board and focuser (it fit the old screw holes through the UTA upper and lower rings perfectly), squared the focuser and then installed newly available secondary collimation thumb screws that I had purchased from ProtoStar.

The new screws eliminated the need for the T-handle hex wrench that I had been using and really reduced the time for the secondary collimation, especially when using the CatsEye XLK Autocollimator. I could leave my eye right at the pupil and make the fine adjustments without moving back and forth from the autocollimator to the UTA to place the tool for each minor adjustment.

These knobs are keepers! They look good, do not intrude into the light path and cut the collimation time way, way down. Making the extra-fine adjustments needed when looking through the XLK autocollimator's offset pupil were still touchy, but certainly no more difficult and possibly a bit easier than using the hex wrench considering the tendency of the long wrench to torque as the screw tension increased. No torquing in the thumb knobs. They turn very smoothly.

My Teeter is now 100% complete. The telescope and Rob have completely exceeded my expectations. This was certainly one of the best decisions I have ever made. :jump:

If you're looking to buy a premium wood dob, at least talk to Rob Teeter before making your final decision on the builder. I don't think there are any better.

Now I just need some clear skies to play with ol' Teeter Number 66. Being in the middle of monsoon season here in Arizona means it could be a bit of a wait. :cloudy:

#9 RAKing

RAKing

Voyager 1

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:04 AM

Excellent review, Jim.

Thanks for taking the time to document your experience so thoroughly. I'll keep Teeter in mind.

Cheers,

Ron

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics