•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Short notes on Asymmetric Binocular Telescopes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Olivier Biot

Olivier Biot

Amused

• topic starter

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:25 PM

Short notes on Asymmetric Binocular Telescopes

#2 wzmek

wzmek

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:02 PM

Dr. Tat-Sang Choy,

Thanks for posting your very informative article about your "asymmetric binocular", and thanks for the kind words about my own article.

The tips that you give in your article about your construction and alignment experiences will help tremendously. I do have some further questions and comments.

Concerning your Point 1): Figure 2 shows what appears to be spring loaded pins or screws holding the star diagonal to the rest of the scope. Do these supply your fine alignment adjustments? If so, how does the observer engage them?

Point 2): I had thought of that, but didn't remember to get it into my article. My own notion was to mount the focuser of the lower tube assembly on a sliding plate, the lateral position of which will be controlled by 3 thumb screws arranged 180 degrees around. The screws pull laterally, so loosening one and tightening another will move the tail plate in a controlled fashion. This will be done while observing (not easy; sort of like trying to fine-tune a Cassegrain's PM collimation while looking at a star!)

Point 3): Good tip. I will strengthen my box-style tube with internal spars and struts. The spars can serve as baffles as well.

Point 5): Another good tip. I will plan accordingly. I do not anticipate a driven equatorial mount to begin with. However, I now know to beef up what I was thinking of for my mount design.

Point 7): My thinking here was that my daughter loves to look through my telescopes, and this binocular, once it's done, will be no exception. When she and I have stayed up together on past occasions to observe lunar eclipses, sharing my 7x50 binocs, I've noticed that her IPD is so much less than mine that I can barely see through the binocs when she hands them back to me. So will at least try to make it work.

Thanks for the inspirational observing reports as well. Anticipation!

Regards and Clear Skies,
Bill

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics