•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cleaning Dust from Inside Mak Cass

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 April 2005 - 02:56 AM

How difficult is it to clean dust from inside the OTA of a Mak Cass? Is it very difficult to open up the OTA to vacuum the particles out? I'm thinking about using a Lymax cooler, but don't want to be blowing dust around inside the tube.

Thanks,

Patrick

#2 matt

matt

Vendor (Scopemania)

Posted 18 April 2005 - 03:36 AM

Dust will not fly off unless the blowing is done directly on it.

How much dust is there? Most of the time it's better to have some dust than scratching something. Could you take a picture to show us?

If there is severe dust inside, the only solution is to open the tube to clean the corrector, so it better be worth it!

#3 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:52 AM

I don't know yet...I am in the process of buying the scope used. The seller indicated that the OTA had dust in it, but didn't seem to be affecting the view. The price is right so I was planning on proceeding with the purchase. What do you think?

Patrick

#4 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:03 AM

Don't worry about it. We have a rule here. NEVER look down your OTA with a flashlight, you'll see things you don't want to, and no matter how much 'cleaning' you do, it'll still look bad. Don't mess with it unless you're actually seeing a deterioration in your viewing...and even then suspect the atmospheric seeing first.

#5 Tim2723

Tim2723

The Moon Guy

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:01 AM

Hi Patrick,

Matt and The Belly are right about leaving well enough alone, but if you're reffering to the M603 in your other post, they do have a reputation for loose metal fines in the tube. Unlike a little (or a lot) of actual dust, metal fines can be a problem in the long run. One of the reasons I went with the MK66 instead of the M603 is that the MK66 is perfectly clean inside. I suppose a 66 can have this problem too, but there are less reports of it.

If it turns out to be a real issue after all is said and done, Mike at ITE can clean it for you (and check out the optics as well).

#6 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:22 AM

Mike at ITE can clean it for you (and check out the optics as well).

Thanks Tim...that's good to know.

Patrick

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics