•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

E. Vion- Paris

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jenovacell

Jenovacell

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:45 AM

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this or not, but I recently came upon what I believe might be a real E. Vion Paris telescope. Does anyone have any facts about these telescopes that might help me pinpoint its age or if it's even real? I don't have time to post a pic at the moment but I will in the next day or so. Thank a lot! And happy independence day :grin:

#2 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:58 AM

Jenovacell

Welcome to Cloudy Nights Classic Telescope Forum. I'm sure you'll get the info you need here.

Rich (RLTYS)

#3 Jenovacell

Jenovacell

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:51 PM

Alright here are the pictures. The telescope measures 41" long I believe and opens and closes smoothly. It appears to be in focus when I look through it though I'm pretty new to telescopes so I can't be sure. The leather is in great condition and nothing appears to be missing. If you need any other pictures I can post them. Any thoughts would be welcomed! Do you think it's the real deal, and if so what would you say it is worth?

http://www.picturetr...8293136/preview

This is the link to see the pictures because it wouldn't let me post them directly on here. Thanks again!

#4 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:03 AM

Jenovacell,

I've been collecting antique spyglasses/telescopes for a decade now, and have no doubt that you have an authentic antique.

E. Vion telescopes are french made, and typically date to circa-1900. I notice that yours appears to have a solar filter on the eyepiece end. You should be able to "slide" this filter open and shut using a little pin and sliding gently (I would not recommend testing the solar filter, though! - if it has any cracks or chips, you could damage your vision). The solar filter seems to be a common feature on these late 19th, early 20th century telescopes. Your telescope looks to be in good+ condition.

Now, your telescope might not be complete. These larger spyglass type telescopes would typically come with some sort of a stand. It's definitely not easy to hold a 41-inch optical tube steady. The stand could have ranged from something as simple as a bracket to grip the telescope with a pin or screw to mount the scope to a tree, board, or ship's railing to a full floor stand with brass components. The telescope may have had a case at some point, too, but these circa 1900 French scopes sometimes came in only a cardboard box per early Sears catalogs.

As for value, this is something a bit subjective. The E. Vion mark is fairly common with antique telescopes and I've not read (or noticed) much to distinguish these scopes' optical performance from other period French instruments that go unsigned. Around 2002 I found an older E. Vion telescope on all brass stand for sale for $1,600. That was far over-priced then from what I saw in the broader antique telescope market.

In recent years, I've seen French circa 1900 telescopes quite similar to yours selling for $250 to $500 from dealers, though those were unsigned . One dealer I know has an E. Vion telescope similar to yours for $650, but the brass is in better condition and this is a dealer's price. The "real market" sale price tends to be at least 15 to 25-percent lower. Note: do not polish the brass! This will drastically reduce your telescope's value to antique collectors.

Based on what I've seen of your telescope and what I know of the market, I'd say that your scope is worth about $250 to $500 real market value, depending on the venue.

- Jay
South Florida

#5 Jenovacell

Jenovacell

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:31 PM

Thank you so much! You've really been a great help. I'm excited I found this piece and hopefully I can put it to good use! Thanks again :)

#6 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:24 PM

Glad to be of help. I started out collecting telescopes by serendipitously finding one similar to yours in an antique shop many years back. Since then, I have at least as many antique scopes as I do modern ones. It becomes addicting!

- Jay
South Florida

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics