•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

S/V B85 or Oberwerk 20x80 Deluxe

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
61 replies to this topic

#1 chascar

chascar

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2005 - 12:30 PM

Hi all with the start of camping/starparty season = Kids/ pop-up. I've decided to part with my hunting rifle and as a gift to myself and family I'm going to take the plung and get some astronomical binos. I've always wanted a pair of good ones and have narrowed the field I need some solid advice. I have a great 20yo piar of swift 7x50 nitrogen filled seahawks from my sailing days so I think i'm covered for hand held any input would be greatly appreciated :help:

Ps for the hunters out there not giving up just concentrating on bowhunting re kids + guns thing for now= next 15 years or so.

#2 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 April 2005 - 12:49 PM

Do you mean the 20x80 Deluxe II instead of the Deluxe?

I've found the SV B85 to a sharper bino than my Oberwerk 20x90. The Individual Focus (IF) is a great feature and I seldom have to adjust focus during an observing session. The included case is well padded. The only problem I've had with B85 is the center post and clamping knob threads are loose, but currently holding with a temporary knob. This is currently being corrected by Stellarvue who is making a new knob.

The Oberwerk 20x80 Deluxe II seems to have the same body as the SVs but doesn't have the IF.

#3 chascar

chascar

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2005 - 12:53 PM

Yes That right my mistake the almost look identical

#4 chascar

chascar

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2005 - 12:54 PM

Yes That right my mistake the almost look identical I asked about that when I called and that is being addressed they are changing over to stainless and are backordered 4to 8 weeks due to knob fix

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 20 April 2005 - 12:56 PM

Craig Simmons I believes has a pair of the SV 85mm bins. So maybe he can add to this. I have the 20x80 deluxe II. I assume this is what you are referring to (Deluxe vs Deluxe II). By the looks of it, the SV 20x85 bins are just stopped down versions of Oberwerk's 20x90 bins. So, in my mind we are comparing two very similar bins. Differences:

The SV bin has doublet objectives while the deluxe is a triplet. The SV has 5mm more for its objectives. The deluxe II is center focused while the SV is IF. The oberwerk bin is about $60 cheaper. I am not aware of any other outstanding difference between the two.

Do you have a tripod for either of these bins? If not, I would go with the deluxe II and use that money for investing in a tripod/head. I don't beleive you are sacrificing that much light grab going with 80 mm over 85 mm.

#6 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 April 2005 - 01:07 PM

NW, the SV85 and Oberwerk 20x90s are different binos. The bodies, focusers and EPs are different and from what I've seen after looking through both of them, the SVs are sharper. The Deluxe II and SV B85s have similar bodies, but with the triplet design of the Deluxe II, it may be as sharp or sharper than the B85.

#7 chascar

chascar

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2005 - 01:13 PM

I have a surveyors tripod that will do double duty I was thinking of the UA bino mount its available from SV as well but I may run out to Webster and eyeball it as I live in Franklin not very far from home co.

#8 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 April 2005 - 01:16 PM

I hope to take delivery today of a UA bino bracket and 3/8" post (currently at the post office) for my Microstar/Bogen 3046 combo. I'll post a review ASAP. BTW, UA has just announced a new mount, the Macrostar (HD version of the Microstar) which will be rated for 20 lbs.

#9 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 20 April 2005 - 01:16 PM

If you do plan to go visit Larry at UA, call first. There are no showroom hours and he gets rather busy in the shop, so it helps to plan an appointment first.

edz

#10 chascar

chascar

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2005 - 01:20 PM

Craig look forward to reading it when you grab it and Ed thanks for the info . Have to take off to work will check in at eleven thanks so much for the discussion so far see ya at 2300 for any more info

#11 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 20 April 2005 - 01:36 PM

I never said they, the 20x90 obies and the SV 85, were identical. I said, to me, they were very similar. [Just to be clear.] I already stated the difference with the focusors. The body and EP difference I was not aware of, but all of those I would classify as trivial differences between these two bins anyway. There could be some other cosmetic differences I can't notice from pictures. And I would expect the sharpness to be better with the SV 85. It is, after all, stopped down from 90 mm. One would expect that.

#12 chascar

chascar

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 22 April 2005 - 12:58 PM

I like the micro star mount in the other thread but was leaning towards a parallelogram type. what are the best option or opinions on mounting something this size looking at different threads there seem to be many option is the one I am considering the best.

#13 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 22 April 2005 - 01:13 PM

Look at all of these photos in the Binocular Gallery and see more than a dozen different kinds of mounts.

http://www.cloudynig...cat=528&thumb=1

edz

#14 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 April 2005 - 01:54 PM

Bino Chair
Pros: Most comfortable, not as easy to use as a parallelgram mount (but may vary depending on mounting mechanism), comfortable zenith viewing.
Cons: Not very portable, can't share the view, some chair designs limited in bino weight capacity. Seated viewing only.

Tripod w/ Video or Altaz Head
Pros: Most portable, view can be shared but not as easily as parallelogram mount, solid mounting.
Cons: Not as comfortable as a bino chair and/or flexible as a parallelogram mount. Zenith viewing may be uncomfortable. Observer must move around for alt-az viewing.

Tripod w/ Parallelogram mount
Pros: Wider range of viewing from one standing or seated position than Video/Alt-az mount, but not as much as bino chair. More seating or standing options than Video/Alt-az mount or bino chair. View can be shared the easiest.
Cons: Not as portable as Video/alt-az mount, but more portable than bino chair. Zenith viewing may be uncomfortable.

#15 chascar

chascar

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 24 April 2005 - 01:29 PM

Thanks so much ....I like the pros of the parallelogram I intend to share with kids when we go camping and such after raeding a bunch more and your input I think I'm going with the SV B85's . The mount is still in the air I'm going to call UA and try to make appointment the end of this week if I can . I was really interested in that link with all the mount photos and want to know if the s cradle would handle the SV's I noticed that Ed saib the 20x100 Obies overloaded it and the vibration dampening was a bit long do you think there is significant weight diffrence between the 20x100 and the SV B85's if I read things right craig said they were stopped down 90mm

#16 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 April 2005 - 01:52 PM

The B85s have an aluminum body and weigh 8 lbs. The 20x80 Deluxe II weigh 7 lbs. If you're going to use a UA P-mount, it will have the mounting you need for either bino. The Scope Stuff cradle wouldn't be a good choice for a P-mount IMO. It's designed to be used with tripod heads and provides more clearance and extra altitude and azimuth panning motions. BTW Oberwerk has a one-of-a-kind Deluxe II with individual focus in their "Specials and Closeouts" section.

http://www.bigbinocu...om/tradeins.htm

#17 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:31 PM

That's interesting that they have an IF version of the deluxe II, but it is not clear to me which type (center vs. IF) is honestly better. I have used both types and I don't notice a personal preference.

#18 chascar

chascar

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 30 April 2005 - 12:57 PM

Hi all was away for the week work stuff you know. thanks for the link craig I'll have to look into them .I personally prefere IF over central focus knobs talk soon have some catching up to do think purchase will be over weekend on begining of week I'll let you all know where it falls at decission time.

#19 Apracticalguy

Apracticalguy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 April 2005 - 07:11 PM

What does S/V B85 stand for?

#20 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 01 May 2005 - 06:29 AM

S/V = StellarVue, a company, and 85 = the binocular objective diameter in mm.

#21 chascar

chascar

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 02 May 2005 - 10:42 AM

Craig I just e-mailed the people at the link you attached and will let you know what they tell me about those I.F.'s there is a 8 week wait for the S/V's and I wanted to have before Mem. day if possible. Did you ever get to do any more indepth comparisions If the scales really point towards S/V I would *BLEEEP* it up and just put the deposit down and wait for the S/V's. I tend to be a stickler for optical quality and hang on to what i get for a long time. The money spent to what you get is very important.....plus it goes along way to keeping spouse understanding.

#22 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 May 2005 - 11:13 AM

The only comparison I've done side by side is with the Oberwerk 20x90s. The SVs were better. The 20x80 Deluxe II are similar in appearance to the SVs, but without having used them with the SVs side by side, I can't say if one is better than the other. I can just list features and talk about the binos I have used. The Obie Deluxe II with a triplet objective, theoretically should provide a better color corrected image at the least. But until both binos can be used side by side my guess is as good as anyone's. The biggest factor in my choosing the SVs was SV reputation of selling consistantly good quality optics and customer service, and my own experience with their AT1010 refractor. Oberwerk has a good reputation for it's products and excellent customer service also.

#23 chascar

chascar

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 02 May 2005 - 11:30 AM

THANKS FOR THE QUICK REPLY......I have to admit that the reputation of SV and Vic Morris is outstanding and I would be hard pressed to take for granted the input from all those that have answered me in this post I have to admit though that I am surprised how little information is out there about The SV Binos. ( Another choise I am contemplating is wether to use a A1010 or 80/f9 piggy backed on my 6 inch w GEM but thats a diffrent forum.) I saw the B85 post you made on the SV site and even there they were only found after very specific searches. I own I. F. with my 7x50's and have to admit my personal prefences lean towards that configuration even though I can't claim with any certainty it superiorty over the alternative

#24 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 May 2005 - 11:45 AM

I'm suprised too at the lack of reviews in general. I think I've seen more reviews and comments on the SV B63 (15x63) than the B85s. Even the SV test group wasn't very specific in their comments, about the only thing they said was they liked the views. I think these binos have low production numbers in the hundreds so that may have something to do with the lack of reviews.

#25 Apracticalguy

Apracticalguy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 May 2005 - 06:03 PM

Is there a web site for "SV's" - who sellers them?

Thanks

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics