•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

S/V B85 or Oberwerk 20x80 Deluxe

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
61 replies to this topic

#26 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 02 May 2005 - 07:23 PM

www.stellarvue.com

#27 Apracticalguy

Apracticalguy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 May 2005 - 11:39 PM

Are the SV B85 made in China....this is getting confusing....Orion and SV are in my backyard (Good old CA)....

Does Vic have anything to do with manufacturing the B85 or is he just the importer....?

#28 chascar

chascar

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 02 May 2005 - 11:43 PM

Vic morris manufarctures his productuct one at a time and selects the optics individually I put myself on wait list for B85's delivery expected late May early June. No chinese optics here my friend. You pay for quality and thats what you get.

#29 chascar

chascar

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 03 May 2005 - 12:10 AM

well maybe one at a time is a little hopeful but the optics are selected individualy as with wthe scopes nd the assembly is all done in US I don't know where the components are from and the deposit price is $100.00 for the wait list. the binos are stepped down 90,s that means 90 mm masked down to 85 so it works out to a true 90 with sharper optics theoretically. The focus is individual as well. The telescopes are highly regarded as you have read there is little info on the binos most likely due to low production numbers.

#30 Apracticalguy

Apracticalguy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 May 2005 - 12:23 AM

Wonder how he can assemble them by hand and sell them for $348.00....if this is so...this is money well spent and worth the wait :)

#31 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:37 AM

Stellarvue binos are entirely made in China per Stellarvue's specifications. SV tests them prior to shipping. The clear aperture on both the 15x63 and 20x85 is 63mm and 85mm respectively. Masking is done in front of the objectives.

#32 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:22 AM

Yep, they are made in China. I don't believe that there are any bins made entirely, or even partially, in the US. [If Bill Cook claims this, I'm inclined to believe him].

The bins are stopped down from 90 to 85, but they will only collect light like a 85mm binocular...with much improved edge performance compared to a non-stopped 85mm binocular

#33 chascar

chascar

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:44 AM

wow guilty as charged of two biggies if thats the facts (1. assumtion ) and (2. not enough questtion secific to binos thought same as scopes.) Thats a big surprise .......but I still going ahead will put the dep . down today decided to wait a few weeks more for them. Now only have to decide on mount. how is your new mount working out i've seen the pics and like the what appears to be a more compact and manageable set up as I plan to travel with them alot camping mostly with family. Any feed back on weight and range of motion. the pics look very positive for grab and go as well as compactness for travel. :foreheadslap:

#34 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:17 AM

SV went tried numerous companies before they settled on the one they chose. A mystery as to who they picked. The last time SV offered binos was about 4 years ago in smaller sizes.

The Microstar Light is working very good for me so far. I have to fold the eyecups in to keep from bumping and shaking the view. It settles down quickly though when bumped. The Bogen 3046 is a great tripod. The Bogen 501 video head is very popular with many users here, but I haven't tried it myself. I would have picked that one but it was cheaper adapt the Microstar to bino use. The Microstar can carry alot of weight for it's size. For carrying it, I just grab the lower section of the Microstar and carry it and binos with two hands or one hand when going thru doors. The weight breaks down into 9 lbs. for tripod, 3 lbs. for the Microstar and 8 lbs. for the B85s. At 20 lbs total it's a very managable setup. I find that viewing above 70 degrees is uncomfortable for me for more than a few minutes.

A P-mount can be adapted to the Microstar. I made one from red oak that works well with up to 15x70 binos.

The Unistar Light is probably the better design since it uses an angled post which moves the binos away from the tripod more than the Microstar does.

#35 chascar

chascar

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 03 May 2005 - 12:08 PM

I believe it I was actually able to find a review of there smaller binos on excellis. Thanks for the reply I was curious if it was the micro star that you had or a larger version. I have never seen a P-mount up close do they collapse down small enough for travel and space limitations in all the pics I've seen they all look pretty cumbersome. I was toying with the idea of constructing some type of chair like set up like yours or the others posted in the bino galleries. I don't know about where you are but the wether has been very sporadic so I have quite a bit of time to formulate the best options. thanks nightwatch for the confirmation of the edge preformance characteristics of the stopped down opjectives not far from you in Boston, Frankin and the clouds seem back with us. do either of you have any real estimations of the limiting mag usually achieved with this size bino or seperation preformance of 20x85's....thanks again Charles......Maybe I should aka my forum name with atypicalguy lol...

#36 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 May 2005 - 12:15 PM

For the P-mount, here's what my home made one look like on the Microstar.

http://www.cloudynig...rt=7&thecat=500

It sort of folds (squashes) into about the size of a tripod.

#37 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 03 May 2005 - 12:20 PM

do either of you have any real estimations of the limiting mag usually achieved with this size bino or seperation preformance of 20x85's

check the current Limiting Mag thread for a chart. Will be almost exactly the same as 20x80s. Add less than 0.1mag for 85mm vs 80. Around 11.0 to 11.5 in average to very good skies.

Check the current thread on BPI preformance index for an explanation of separation. depends on your eyes. If your eyes are very good, expect about 8 arcseconds.

edz

#38 chascar

chascar

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 03 May 2005 - 12:27 PM

Thanks Ed I just found and printed out the index some light reading when its slow at work this evening. by the way I love your quote my kids and their cousins have a better time with Binos than with my scope most of the time.

#39 Apracticalguy

Apracticalguy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 May 2005 - 01:08 PM

There is a lack of info out here on the SV's and their web site is vague....also called their store today and no one was available to answer my questions...I wonder if a GREAT telescope maker should be in binos....the SV web site doesn't give a lot of info....hmmmmmmmm?

#40 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 May 2005 - 01:14 PM

I've had pretty good luck with their Yahoo Forum.

http://groups.yahoo....?yguid=54286001

or emailing Vic Maris. He's good about returning emails.

#41 Apracticalguy

Apracticalguy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 May 2005 - 04:09 PM

Sure would be nice if someone could summarize (in a spread sheet format) the key features of:

SV B85 20x85's
Oberwerks Deluxe II 20x80's
Orion Explorer's 20x80's

Just an idear :)

#42 chascar

chascar

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 03 May 2005 - 04:36 PM

It would in deed I heard back from Vic Maris and the binos are aisian made and are thoroughly optic tested with some assembly at SV us facility and if I understand his responce correctly the masking/stopping down is done by hime at the same. Also the knob flaw that craig had is also dealt with in the US with the new replacement designed knobs.

#43 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 May 2005 - 04:53 PM

Info for the Stellarvue B85

http://www.stellarvu...binoculars.html

Info for the Oberwerk 20x80 Deluxe II

http://www.bigbinoculars.com/2080t.htm

Info for the Orion Explorer 20x80

http://tinyurl.com/72otz

#44 Apracticalguy

Apracticalguy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 May 2005 - 05:34 PM

I had an opportunity to talk with Vic today...he confirmed two things:

1. His binos are made in China....to his exacting specifications.

2. The B85's are ready for immediate shipment...can be ordered online or by phone.

#45 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:00 PM

Sure would be nice if someone could summarize (in a spread sheet format) the key features of:

SV B85 20x85's
Oberwerks Deluxe II 20x80's
Orion Explorer's 20x80's

Just an idear

Great idea

First somebody needs to go out and buy all three of them.

edz

#46 Alby

Alby

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:01 PM

HEHEHE;

It won't be me......I'm broke:)

Alby

#47 chascar

chascar

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:09 AM

For those interested I found alot of info about the eye and acuity on todd gross' site and alot probably applies to binoculars and bino viewers I found it while trying to fiquer out the advantages of individual focus vs. central other than personal preferance.

#48 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 04 May 2005 - 09:48 AM

have you checked out our

"Best Of" links to threads on "Resolution and Visual Acuity"

and our

"Links to Web" section on "Optics and Vision"

edz

#49 chascar

chascar

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:50 AM

Not yet but I just read your cn report on 100s it was very well done and i wish I had found it earlier. It really spells out the types of info we've been tossing back and forth. I e-mailed Vic Maris and called SV yesterday I got alot of good informaton. I have to say thet after reading your CN report I feel torn the Obie 20x80 you talked about seem like a great all around choice The sharpness and coating sound spot on are they the light wieght model or the broadband coated waterproof version. I still like the Idea behind a 85 stopped down from 90 to increase feild sharpness to the edges. I looked at the 22x100's and my use for the binos is to not supplement my scope thats still the realm I think for my 7x50's. I'm looking for analternative to the long set up of the scope that I can travel with and with enough resoloution to mkeep the interest of my kids when camping/starparties

#50 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:39 PM

As stated in the article, the 20x80s I reviewed are the Oberwerk Standard. They are neither of the two you mention above.

Stopping down the outer 5mm of the objective lens will have very little affect on sharpness across the field of view. The sharpness across the field of view is primarily dependant on the eyepiece in use. The BT100 gives the proof of that. Using a highly corrected eyepiece would do a lot more to correct field sharpness than stopping down the lens. Of course, the stopping down does fractionally increase the f# from say f/4.0 to to f/4.25. A minor difference if any. It will correct some edge distortions and it probably have a minor benefit to CA.

edz

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics