•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Black Forest Star Party Sept 10-12, 2010

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
233 replies to this topic

#1 GUNER

GUNER

Throw Me A Clue Here

• topic starter

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:49 PM

I posted early about this last year (06/22) So I waited a month before posting this year. Who's going? We stayed late last year but are heading up early this year. Got my 12" all repaired & just dying for some dark skies!

#2 peleuba

peleuba

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:36 PM

I posted early about this last year (06/22) So I waited a month before posting this year. Who's going? We stayed late last year but are heading up early this year. Got my 12" all repaired & just dying for some dark skies!

Should be there all week.

#3 Spoonsize

Spoonsize

DURHAM 157494

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:00 AM

Is it too late to register?

#4 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:04 PM

Steve, registration is still open.

#5 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:58 AM

Got confirmation of my registration the other week. I plan on arriving wednesday, sounds like a lot of other people will be there for quite a while as well.

What does the state park charge per night? Just wondering what wednesday and thursday will cost me...and when does the ranger come by to collect the fee? I'm normally up until sunrise so I sleep until at least 11am most mornings.

#6 GUNER

GUNER

Throw Me A Clue Here

• topic starter

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:11 PM

I want to say $5 per night but I'm not sure on that. I didn't have change so I stuck in a 20 when we stayed for two nights extra last year. There is a registration kiosk which is near the restroom when you put your money in an envelope & put it in a fee tube.
There are four domes that can be rented for extra money but you have to reserve them. You can check on that here:
http://tinyurl.com/3xqsuo
If I remember correctly there were some still empty last year so they might still be available.

#7 bherv

bherv

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:31 PM

A friend and I are planning on making the 6 hour drive to attend.We are planning on arriving Friday and staying until Monday. This all depends on the weather of course.This will be my second trip to Cherry Springs and I hope it is much more enjoyable than my trip to CSSP in 2005.I thought I would not make the trip again but the lure of really dark skies has changed my mind.
Barry

#8 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:54 PM

What does the state park charge per night? Just wondering what wednesday and thursday will cost me...and when does the ranger come by to collect the fee? I'm normally up until sunrise so I sleep until at least 11am most mornings.

The cost is $10 a night. There are payment envelopes and a place to deposit the fee.

All observers must register if they plan to stay on the field overnight. Astronomy Field fee envelopes are at the registration kiosk which is near the restroom. Please follow written instructions, posted fee schedule, and list your location on the field so that you can be located in an emergency, then deposit the envelope in the fee tube.

http://www.dcnr.stat..._darkskies.aspx

Dave Mitsky

#9 Deep13

Deep13

Skylab

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:23 PM

I go every year. It's almost a pilgrimage.

#10 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:01 AM

:shrug: Would they let me have internet access? :smirk:

#11 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:13 AM

I've just mailed in my registration. I would most likely arrive Thursday after a 5-hour drive from Toronto. What food is available on site? Can I use a Primus stove (butane/propane canister type) if I bring my own food?

Looking forward....
Dave

#12 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:15 AM

:lol: Same here. It has become a bit of a tradition. I usually get their Tuesdays, or Wednesday at the latest depending on the weather. I don't want to be setting up in the rain if I can help it.

I go every year. It's almost a pilgrimage.

#13 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:46 AM

Thought ya said you weren't gonna make it? :question: But I hope you do! I need someone to pick on. :slap:

#14 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:47 AM

I hope my registration got there in time. If not, I'll camp across the road. :grin:

#15 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:52 AM

Propane/butane stoves are fine. Just no charcoal or other "open flames". I am sure any food vendor will not be there until probably Friday. But there is a small ma & pa store a couple minutes up the road I visit every time I am up there.

I've just mailed in my registration. I would most likely arrive Thursday after a 5-hour drive from Toronto. What food is available on site? Can I use a Primus stove (butane/propane canister type) if I bring my own food?

Looking forward....
Dave

#16 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:54 AM

Dave Mitsky answered your question. Payment is on the "honor system". You don't need to find a ranger.

Got confirmation of my registration the other week. I plan on arriving wednesday, sounds like a lot of other people will be there for quite a while as well.

#17 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:56 AM

As of the website today, July 25...

There are 291 of 475 registrations taken, 184 available. The last 100 free spots usually go quickly, so don't wait too much longer -- every year we unfortunately have to turn people away, and for some reason, this year we are selling out faster than last year.

#18 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:40 PM

Thought ya said you weren't gonna make it? :question: But I hope you do! I need someone to pick on. :slap:

Who is going to pick on my friend Steve?

#19 Spoonsize

Spoonsize

DURHAM 157494

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:47 PM

Hey Jeff.....will CHRISTINE be there? You can certainly pick on her if I can't be there.

#20 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:31 PM

The cost is $10 a night. There are payment envelopes and a place to deposit the fee.

All observers must register if they plan to stay on the field overnight. Astronomy Field fee envelopes are at the registration kiosk which is near the restroom. Please follow written instructions, posted fee schedule, and list your location on the field so that you can be located in an emergency, then deposit the envelope in the fee tube.

http://www.dcnr.stat..._darkskies.aspx

Dave Mitsky

Thanks Dave.

It sounds like nearly everyone will be there very early, and according to their site registration is filling up even faster than usual this year.

#21 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:44 PM

:p I believe she said she couldn't make it since the Almost Heaven star party is the previous weekend.

Hey Jeff.....will CHRISTINE be there? You can certainly pick on her if I can't be there.

#22 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:52 PM

I believe it was some guy called Roswell Bob. :whistle:

#23 Tiny

Tiny

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:03 PM

As of the website today, July 25...

There are 291 of 475 registrations taken, 184 available. The last 100 free spots usually go quickly, so don't wait too much longer -- every year we unfortunately have to turn people away, and for some reason, this year we are selling out faster than last year.

Actually that was as of the 19th. I sent a registration in on friday. If it already filled, i'll be very surprised but wont cry. Its an 7-8 hour drive for me so not exactly looking forward to that. Debating leaving either late Thursday night or early friday. Thankfully i suspect traffic will be dead the whole way.

#24 Spoonsize

Spoonsize

DURHAM 157494

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:58 AM

Dang....It's hard for me to even think about this. YOU throwing Roswell under the bus! How ironic.

I believe it was some guy called Roswell Bob. :whistle:

:lol:

#25 GUNER

GUNER

Throw Me A Clue Here

• topic starter

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:52 PM

Hey Jeff,
How have you been. Can't wait till BFSP so we can catch up. We will be heading up on Wed this year. Julianna has to work on Monday so I'll be packing up late Saturday early Sunday. No all day lazy pack up for me this year.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics