•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Unknown sighting

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bratman2

Bratman2

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 29 April 2005 - 08:49 PM

Just got the Bausch & Lomb 20 x 80 mounted on the new tripod. Called the wife out to look at Jupiter and its moons. Saw a moving light in the southwestern sky. Picked up my 8 x 50 binoculars and it appeared to break through the atmosphere, separating into 2 pieces. It was heading northeast. The front object was bright and moving fast with no trail. The rear object was slower and had spiral band coming off of it, like a pinwheel. Did anybody else see it and know what it was? This happened about 8:45 EST.

#2 HfxObserver

HfxObserver

Apollo

• ****-

Posted 29 April 2005 - 08:52 PM

Might have been that US military rocket that passed south of eastern Canada this evening.

Observer reports are comming in here now.

-Chris

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 29 April 2005 - 09:47 PM

OH my gosh...I am in eastern NC and my friend and I were outside about 9 pm. We looked up and saw this ballish light. It had a very wide "vaporish" trail. You could see through it. A minute later it exploded!! Not a small one a big one...we thought a plane was going to crash! As we watched it it broke off into two pieces. It started to get further apart from each other until finally, we couldn't see it anymore. My brain is on overdrive because I don't know what I saw. I even wrote NASA to beg them to tell me what it was...lol....I'll let u know if the answer...lol..what do u think...have you found out any new info? we had no binoculars...this was seen very clearly with the naked eye

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 29 April 2005 - 09:55 PM

hey I hope someone sees this post and puts me out of my misery. I have never paid attention to the sky and now I want to know more! I know there are a lot of you out there that know what I saw or where to go to find out, so please let me know....quick....LOL

#5 holger_merlitz

holger_merlitz

Mariner 2

Posted 29 April 2005 - 10:02 PM

Whatever rocket test this was - according to your description, it was apparently not a successful one :-)

#6 Bratman2

Bratman2

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 29 April 2005 - 10:07 PM

I don't think it exploded, I believe it was entering the atmosphere. I had just caught view of it in my Octarems right before the shock wave shot across the sky. What a way to start out astronomy, second clear night. I am in eastern NC also.

#7 Bratman2

Bratman2

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 29 April 2005 - 10:13 PM

Wife says I am wrong and it did explode, was quite a view. Never seen anything like it in the 44 years I have been around. Passed the Octarems to my wife and tracked it with the 20x80 B&L until we couldn't see it anymore.

#8 Bandoblue

Bandoblue

Mariner 2

Posted 29 April 2005 - 10:15 PM

It was the last east coast launch of the Titan 4b heavy-lift expendible booster with a classified military payload. The launch was a success. You almost certainly saw depleted stages falling back to earth and venting the remaining propellent--probably the big solid boosters.

Here's a link about the launch:

Titan 4 on Spaceflightnow.com

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 29 April 2005 - 10:16 PM

yeah, my friend just called and asked if I found out what it was. I agree, it was the most amazing thing I evern. I am sure not many people have witnessed that particular happening...whatever it was. I think I just got bit by the astronomy bug...LOL

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 29 April 2005 - 10:21 PM

ok...was hoping for something a little more interesting :( but it was still very exciting to see. THX...now I can go to sleep

#11 Bratman2

Bratman2

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 29 April 2005 - 10:25 PM

Imagine what it looked like 8 times larger when the shock wave hit. I don't have a clue as to how I will ever top that sight. Possibly it was leaving the atmosphere causing such a dramatic shock wave. The B&L really brought it out.

#12 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 29 April 2005 - 10:54 PM

We should keep an eye out on the news about this. Sometimes spaceweather.com will have articles about these kinds of events. Very interesting.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics