•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

7x42 roof and 7x50 porro.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Napier

Steve Napier

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 April 2005 - 03:20 AM

It would be interesting to hear of the pros and cons of these two sizes and styles of binoculars,especially after the wonderful 3 way 7x50 comparisson.
Ive always used porros in the past until I was recommended a pair of 7x42 by Kenny and I must say its the best binocular view ive ever experienced.
I wonder how the top models of 7x42 roofs like the Zeiss FL
compare to the top 7x50 porro prism models.
Steve.

#2 holger_merlitz

holger_merlitz

Mariner 2

Posted 30 April 2005 - 04:29 AM

Hi Steve,

I haven't tested the new Zeiss FL yet, but some time back I did a careful comparison between the Fujinon 10x50 FMTR-SX and the Leica 10x50 Ultravid. Based on that experience and quite in agreement with other guy's descriptions one can safely claim that they are on par in their optical performance. Since 1988, with the introduction of the phase-correction coating, the best roof prisms have reached the performance level of the best Porros. Any differences still visible in such a comparative test are not related with the roof/Porro issue any more but due to other effects like quality of coating, stray light control and all that.

Since roof prisms are technically more demanding and less fault tolerant than Porros, they are more expensive. That's one reason for the Zeiss being twice as expensive as the Fujinon (another reason is the name, of course...). But Porros are usually more bulky and heavy, so when going for a high end roof you are mostly paying for compactness rather than superior optics.

Regards,
Holger

#3 Steve Napier

Steve Napier

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:36 AM

Hi Holger.
Thanks for that interesting little summary.
I really like using my 7x42 FLs,they are the most comfortable glasses ive ever used and as you would expect incredibly bright,a good 8.6 degree true FOV too.
Steve.

#4 holger_merlitz

holger_merlitz

Mariner 2

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:07 PM

Hi Steve,

Since I haven't seen the 7x42 FL so far: How is the edge-sharpness of this binocular, when observing the night sky? Are the stars heavily blurred close to the edge? Have you ever compared that with any other binoculars, e.g. the older 7x42 Dialyt? I wonder whether they were able to cope with the field curvature at such a wide field of view.

Regards,
Holger

#5 Steve Napier

Steve Napier

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:42 AM

Holger,hello again and apologizes for the delay,I don"t own a PC I have to book sessions at my local library.
I bought the Zeiss 7x42FL specificaly for terrestrial use but obviously Ive used them for night sky too.
Edge sharpness is not their strongest point but,for terrestrial use this is not an issue for me.
Colour correction and truthful colour image is outstanding.
I wont be swapping these glasses.
Best wishes
Steve.

#6 holger_merlitz

holger_merlitz

Mariner 2

Posted 06 May 2005 - 08:27 PM

Thanks, Steve. With such a wide field, perfection is not possible (compare with the Miyauchi Binon thread...). I generally prefer a wide field with some imperfections towards the edge over a perfect but narrow field.

Best regards,
Holger

#7 Steve Napier

Steve Napier

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 May 2005 - 04:11 AM

I strongly recommend you try to test a pair of the FL series Holger.They are available in the the more compact 32mm size now.
Best wishes
Steve.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics