•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M 13 with Stellarvue 15x63 binos

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 tlogan6680

tlogan6680

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 April 2005 - 10:23 AM

Clear late last nite and relativley dark after neighbors went to sleep. Woke up and got out my new toy-Stellarvue 15x63 binos. My lights were out, so i was dark adapted. Went outside and scanned the heavens using my older Adlerblick 7x50es and saw that M13 was well placed to see. Got the Stellarvues, and was just blown away by M13. It was the first time this year (i have high trees on the east of my yard) and the first time using a "big" bino. I am impressed. The view was as good as through my 80mm refractors-much granulation. Two eyes is (are?) the way to go, I am hooked!
ps. love the fact that the Stellarvue has individual eye focus and so focus does not change each time you touch a lens with your eye.
Tom in CA
Adlerblick 7x50
Stellarvue 15x63
Celestron 80mm (f 11.4) refractor (20 years old and still my favorite)
WO ZenithStar 80
Celestron 6 in Refractor-"the beast"

#2 SaberScorpX

SaberScorpX

Skylab

Posted 30 April 2005 - 12:17 PM

Nice report, Tom.
The Orion 15x63s have also become my favorite handheld weapon of choice.
In fact, they recently turned a newbie neighbor on to the benefits of binovision.
While comparing low-power views with his new ST80 he started questioning his purchase.
I kept reminding him that his scope was doing a fine job, plus he had the option of using higher powers.
"Well then why does everything look so much better in yours?", he insisted.
"Because you're using both eyes", I replied.
I could actually see the little light of realization go on over his head.
He ordered the Mini-Giants the next morning.

Saber

Ready to tackle the Herschel 400?
http://www.geocities...rpx/SGH400.html

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 30 April 2005 - 02:34 PM

Binocular vision IS the way to go IMHO. Saber, your anecdote is a classic one. I am often surprised how many people would never consider using bins for astronomy.

love the fact that the Stellarvue has individual eye focus and so focus does not change each time you touch a lens with your eye.

Tom, could you explain this? There is another thread which has touched on the subject of center vs. IF focusing so I'm curious as you what you mean here.

#4 tlogan6680

tlogan6680

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 April 2005 - 03:26 PM

Re individual eyepiece focus:
My Adlerblicks are center focusing with one eye fine adjustement. Now that that bino is older, when i lean into the eyepiece, i knock the bino out-of-focus. With the Stellarvue, there is no center focusing but rather IF focusing and the focusing is slightly stiff, so it stays in focus. I love this! BUT if you wear glasses, and switch back and forth, and want to take your glasses off, then that might be a problem. ON THE OTHER HAND, there is so much eye relief on this bino, i keep my glasses on
Tom in sunny? CA

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 30 April 2005 - 04:50 PM

I see. I have used both types and have never experienced anything to sway me to prefer one over the other. In your case, I can understand.

#6 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 01 May 2005 - 09:18 AM

A slightly more viscous lubricant on the focus dial shaft would eliminate that annoying focus drift when you press your eyes up against the eyepieces. Caution. Taking binoculars apart should not be assumed a simple task and should not be performed by everyone.

edz

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics