•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

LX200 12" GPS or C11

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 December 2003 - 12:42 PM

Hi
This is a first for me.
I am considering buying a LX200 12" GPS to do photometry.
I have heard all sorts of stories concerning the drive, bad tracking and having to slow down the slew rate of the scope.
I have also considered the C11 on a G11 Losmandy mount which folks have said is superb. But I feel this system could end up quite expensive. Anybody have any thoughts? :confused:

#2 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 16 December 2003 - 03:45 PM

I can't speak to the C11 on a G11 because I don't own them :)

But there are plenty of folk doing photometry with LX200's

New ones are now shipping with SMT which will, when permanently mounted and polar aligned, increase pointing accuracy (Its like T-Point) after training. I don't know about slowing down the slew rate? I've never heard of problems in that area.

But I'm sure you will be satisfied either route you take.

The C11 on the G11 will be more expensive.

If you can get yourself to a star party and see each scope you may be able to make a more informed decision. :)

#3 Echo

Echo

Gemini

Posted 16 December 2003 - 03:48 PM

I have an LX200 10" and have never had a problem with the drives or tracking. The C11 is a great scope too. You're looking at mega bucks for the Losmandy mount though.

#4 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 16 December 2003 - 06:06 PM

If you never plan on doing serious astrophotography the Meade is a great scope. Otherwise I would recommned the C11 on a good EQ mount such as the Losmandy G11. Granted you will pay a lot more, but you will have more versatility with the EQ mount than the Meade Fork mount.

Charles

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 December 2003 - 06:22 PM

Hi
Thanks Echo looks like the Mead for me :jump:
The C11 and G11 is great but I feel the budget could exceed.
In regards to the slew, In was told that if you chase around the sky too much you could trash the dec drives.

Regards

Khurt

#6 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 16 December 2003 - 06:45 PM

Charles, define serious.

I consider Ron Dantowitz a serious astrophotographer. Jack Newton, Jason Ware, Thierry Legault also. They have done some pretty serious work with Meade fork mounted scopes of all sizes.

So could you give me your definition of serious?

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 December 2003 - 06:51 PM

HI Charles

What I intend to do is photometry :)Would a wedge improve the versitality of the Fork Anyway?

Regards

Khurt

#8 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 16 December 2003 - 07:10 PM

Craig, I also stated more versatility. Can you mount another scope on the Meade Fork/mount assembly? Why have a mount assembly that can handle only one scope? Yes you can take great pictures with a Meade, but the Forks limit your versatility! When I finished with my system of systems I will have one mount and three scopes, a wide field refractor, medium field refractor and a Mewlon as the SCT. That is in my opinion versatility and a better setup for serious astrophotography!

Charles

#9 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 16 December 2003 - 07:45 PM

I agree with Charles; I've had 'em all. I recently switched back to a forkmount Meade precisely because I realized I'm not serious about astrophotography.

I get great performance and the most aperture for the buck with a larger forkmount - but it certainly isn't optimised for imaging. I know there are guys who overcome the disadvantages and get great images but that speaks more of them than of the gear they are using.

BTW, Charles - I'm dumping all my CCD imaging gear and just picked up a Canon Digital Rebel SLR. That'll do me for what pictures I want to take - but it'll still be necessary to set up portably with a GEM for some of what I want to do because the big Meade can't do everything. It's just not versatile enough.

#10 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 16 December 2003 - 07:59 PM

I agree John, if I could build a Observatory in my back yard I would still have Bertha permanently mounted on a wedge and doing astrophotography with her. For the dollar you can not beat a Meade or Celstron Fork mounted system. After buying Bertha I realized that it just did not make sense to have a mount tied to the same scope. That is when I decided to get a good EQ mount that will give me options everynight rather than being tied to one scope and mount.

Setting up a Meade with wedge everytime you want to take pictures is a pain and long process. I bet most of the great Meade astro shooters are permamently mounted scopes.

Charles :)

#11 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 16 December 2003 - 08:02 PM

Hey John did you ever try out your field derotator yet?

Charles

#12 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 16 December 2003 - 08:08 PM

Hey John did you ever try out your field derotator yet?

Charles

Hi, Charles.

It'd been either raining or snowing ever since it arrived. I'm hoping it'll let me get up to 15 minutes or so with the Rebel and see how long it takes me to run out of targets I can get with that. For extended objects the SCT is inappropriate so I'll either have to resort to temporary setups with the GEM and faster scopes or stick the wedge under the Meade and overload it with piggyback stuff.

The Meade is great for what it's for; it's just not the perfect do-everything scope. I already know I don't want to pay for a perfect do-everything scope, though.

#13 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 16 December 2003 - 10:10 PM

I can't wait to see how the derotator works. I was always interested in it but never could find anyone that would review it good enough for me to invest $400.00 in one. You out to start out on something like the crab nebula with you light canon. Try about a 1 to 2 minute exposure and stack them. Have you tried shooting nebulas before? To focus it is a little trickey with a digital camera. so focus first on the moon or Saturn and then go to the nebula.

Charles

#14 Florent

Florent

Ranger 4

Posted 17 December 2003 - 06:52 AM

Hi Charles,

About the Meade Field De-Rotator, I used it for 3 years for my CCD pictures with my 8" & 12" LX200 classic. You can see my results on my web site.

About the fork mount and GEM mount, I am agree. I used a 12" LX200 for my CCD images and It was very difficult to transport and we can only use one OTA. My new setup is better for the CCD imaging : Losmandy HGM TITAN Gemini Goto mount. With it I can put my Meade 12" UHTC SCT OTA or my William Optics FLT-110 Triplet APO OTA. Early in January, I wait my New Megrez 80 II Triplet APO OTA. This new setup weights more that my old 12" LX200 but It is easier to transport and to install for my back.

But the bad thing : this setup is more expensive that a SCT with a fork mount. But my TITAN is more accurate for the CCD imaging with short, average and long focal length.

Regards,

Florent :jump:

--------------
CCD ALTAZ & AO web site : http://www.astrosurf.com/ccdaltazao

Pithiviers le Vieil/Jouy-En-Pithiverais-----------------FRANCE

My USA web site : http://members.aol.c...Pobs/poiget.htm

Losmandy HGM TITAN mount
Meade 12" UHTC SCT & William Optics FLT-110 APO OTAs
SBIG ST-10XME/CFW-8A/AO-7

#15 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 17 December 2003 - 07:59 AM

Charles,

I agree with the versatility part of your post, no doubt about it. A good GEM is what its all about really.

But :) there's always a but.

You said and I quote

If you never plan on doing serious astrophotography the Meade is a great scope.

And thats just plain old incorrect any way you slice it.

Just wanted to clear the air so to speak

#16 StormKat

StormKat

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 December 2003 - 09:30 AM

Sheeez, at the rate I'm saving and with you guys raising the bar, I'll NEVER be able to purchase a new telescope.
:grin:

#17 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 17 December 2003 - 06:46 PM

Grizz I agree to disagree and stand by my qoute if you want to really be serious, you will have more than one scope for astrophotography and the mount is the keystone. Now to support your disagreement, Can you be serious and only have a Meade? Yes and no, it is a matter of opinions and I will honor your opinion as being correct as much as my opinion being correct!

#18 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 17 December 2003 - 07:13 PM

Charles,

The only issue I have with your statement was that it implies that serious astrophotography can't be done with a Meade fork mounted scope. I have seen that it can be done by various types of Meade fork mounted scopes. The number of scopes that someone owns was not the question, I agree the more the merrier and different type scopes have their own good and bad qualities Meade included. Some folks just don't have the extra $$ to own multiple scopes to swap around on a quality GEM so if your limited to a fork mounted SCT then IMHO serious astrophotography can be done.

So I will agree to disagree also and honor your opinion as you are obviously a gentleman. :D

#19 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 17 December 2003 - 07:30 PM

Okay Grizz you're getting too serious about this. I concede!

You and I have different definitions of what Serious means and you can jump in anytime you disagree with my opinion and I will always love you.:grin:

BTW I see you added LPI Imager to your signature block. When are you going to post some pictures and give us a review on that baby. I'm really interested to hear about it!

#20 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 17 December 2003 - 08:35 PM

Well if the snow and rain ever stop and the clouds go away for more then a few hours I'll get some quality time in with the LPI. I like what I see so far. For the price its a winner combined with the software. Its not a DSO camera for sure but some nice results on brighter DSO's have been posted in the Yahoo autostar suite group. I'll have fun with it for sure.

I appreciate the love :)

#21 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 17 December 2003 - 08:41 PM

Yes, please do, I and many others have been talking and asking questions about the LPI Imager. We need a good honest review. I think John bought one also.

Charles

#22 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 17 December 2003 - 09:31 PM

Yes, please do, I and many others have been talking and asking questions about the LPI Imager. We need a good honest review. I think John bought one also.

Charles

Please do keep us posted. Yes, Charles, I have one but you know how often I get to try this stuff. You guys will all be experts by the time I get the chance - then you can all teach me.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics