•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

difference between barlow and telenegative?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 earthbot1

earthbot1

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:00 AM

I purchased a 2x telenegative and am wondering if it has any different limits/applications than a barlow? :question:

#2 Greg Keys

Greg Keys

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:27 AM

A true tele extender is a device for astro-photography. Some are empty tubes to allow attaching a camera in conjunction with an eyepiece, some have lenses inside to further play with the magnification factor. See this writeup by our host: Tele Extenders
The real question here is what exactly did you purchase?

#3 earthbot1

earthbot1

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:30 PM

Thanks. I got a Meade 4000 2x Telenegative....I posted the wrong name first time.
One on left.
Posted Image

#4 j schmo

j schmo

Explorer 1

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:05 PM

It's Meade's version of a "short" barlow. If I recall correctly there were two models released of differing quality. Do you know which model you have?

#5 Greg Keys

Greg Keys

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:12 PM

That, my friend, is a barlow :)
Tele - distance (or length)
Negative - to ruduce - minus
A barlow plays with the focal length of an eyepiece by reducing it (negative distance)
A 25mm EP becomes a 12.5 with a 2X barlow
Magnifiction of a scope is the scope FL divided by the EP FL
So, a 2X barlow reduces an eyepieces FL by half, a 3X reduces the EP FL to 1 third.

#6 earthbot1

earthbot1

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:17 PM

Ok...thanks for the info!

#7 sixela

sixela

Hubble

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:57 AM

I purchased a 2x telenegative and am wondering if it has any different limits/applications than a barlow?

Well, technically a barlow is one form of telenegative. In other words, not all telenegatives are barlows, but a barlow is one kind of telenegative (with just one cemented doublet).

Of course, it doesn't help that some "barlows" are really telextenders/telenegatives but not really barlows.

My Zeiss barlow is a barlow, but my Baader VIP barlow isn't, since it has an air-spaced doublet.

My former TMB barlow was a barlow, but my former Orion Shorty plus "barlow" (three lenses) and former Powermate┬╣ (two doublets) weren't.

In practice, I used all four without worrying too much about the number of lenses and lens groups ;).

--
┬╣(TeleVue is a bit more precise in its use of words and won't refer to a PowerMate as a barlow)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics