•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Double Vision with 15X70 Oberwerk

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 APV

APV

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 May 2005 - 11:13 PM

Just received a pair of these on astromart. The binos are in perfect condition cosmetically but I am getting double vision no matter what I do. THis is my 3rd pair of binos and I have never seen this before. Is this due to lack of stability (very heavy to hold) or am i just plain out of luck. :foreheadslap:

Albert

#2 SaberScorpX

SaberScorpX

Skylab

Posted 02 May 2005 - 11:20 PM

Hi Albert-

Sounds like they're out of collimation.
Check this link http://www.oberwerk....t/collimate.htm and others at the top of this forum on collimation.

Saber

Ready to tackle the Herschel 400?
http://www.geocities...rpx/SGH400.html

#3 APV

APV

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 May 2005 - 11:37 PM

Saber,

I was afraid of that. Have you ever done this before? Is it easy?

#4 SaberScorpX

SaberScorpX

Skylab

Posted 03 May 2005 - 12:08 AM

I've tweaked a few binos. Usually not a big deal.
A tiny turn to one of the setscrews may be all that's needed.
Check the collimation article links under 'LINKS to Web - Binocular and Astro Info' for more detailed instructions.

Saber

#5 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:36 AM

Also check the "best Of" links and follow the threads to Collimation for discussions on how to perform. there are several articles here on CN with a complete description of how to adjust your binoculars.

edz

#6 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:42 AM

Be sure to mount and check them before you attempt collimation.

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:15 AM

Invest a few bucks into a jeweler's flat tipped screwdriver.

#8 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 03 May 2005 - 12:33 PM

Hi Albert-

Sounds like they're out of collimation.
Check this link http://www.oberwerk....t/collimate.htm and others at the top of this forum on collimation.

Saber

When it comes to optics, it shouldn't be assumed that importers offer the best level of advice. First, whenever possible, your test target should be much further than 100 yards distant.

Secondly, the website states that "perfect collimation" can be achieved with their method.

Their method is EXACTLY that which I use to rough an instrument in. However, collimation (unconditional alignment) cannot be achieved this way.

If you are the only one to be using the instrument, or if other observers have the same IPD, or if the collimation error stays small throughout the full swing of the axle, the work will be TOTALLY ADEQUATE. Still, Collimation means a binocular is in alignment at all IPD settings.

By this, I am not dismissing the value of contitional alignment. I am the only person who ever uses my astronomy binos. Thus, conditional alignment is totally adequate for me. However, I feel the need to defend the term "collimation" in a world in which consumers are ever willing to settle for less to save a buck.

Cheers,

Bill

#9 SaberScorpX

SaberScorpX

Skylab

Posted 03 May 2005 - 02:21 PM

Albert,

You could first try informing the seller, giving him the option of refunding your money or having the binos collimated himself and reshipped with more protective packaging.
Even if this was an unintentional shipping accident, I would not be a happy camper.

Saber

#10 APV

APV

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:42 PM

Saber,

If I can fix it I will do so. If I cant I will speak with the seller. I did ask the question of collimation before purchase so I guess it happened during transit.

Thanks

#11 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 04 May 2005 - 04:47 PM

APV, I am sure you can tweek your bins to achieve conditional alignment. It's not tough as long as you follow the recommendations posted in the "best of" section.

#12 Brian B.

Brian B.

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:10 PM

APV - also check the alignment of the objective barrels. WHen I received my 15x70s back from Oberwerk after repairs (for a bad hinge casting, which caused the tripod socket to break free), one of the barrels had been pushed to the point that it jumped the threads. There was a gap visible along one side of the joint, as a clue. I was unable to turn the barrel because it was cross threaded, but I was able to "pop" the barrel back into the threads with a moderate amount of pushing on the objective end. That solved my double-vision problems, and I didn't even bother with collimation.

You shouod definitely check that out first, before playing with the collimation.

Brian B.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics