•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Carl Zeiss Jena 10X50mm

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#26 richtea

richtea

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:17 AM

Hapo

The binoculars in the pictures look to me as though they have the later and better Zeiss T3M multi coatings from the colour of the lenses
Another way to determine if they are the latest coatings is to check the serial number on the front post (this should be a 7 digit number and begin within the range 48..... or higher on i believe)
As for dust on lenses or internal haze etc according to the experts this can sometimes be of little concern depending on the severity or nature
I have a tiny internal fleck on one of my front lenses but the view is totally clear
Holger Merlitz is highly regarded around these models and i see his usual very valid comments already on this thread
Imho and from personal useage i genuinely feel the Carl Zeiss Jena range in various configurations 10 x 50 7 x 50 8 x 30 (and 8 x 50 12 x 50) represent excellent value for money and are amongst the classic optical design successes
The 10 x 50's are to my eyes actually better for daytime and dusk viewing as opposed to direct night sky watching although to be fair i have limited novice experience of the sky viewing having only recently tried it out
I think the wide field of the 10 x works better in the day and early evening as the edge softness seems less pronounced
That said its hard to buy a brighter more relaxed detailed view in many other binoculars i have tried at that price point
There are many seemingly reputable ebayers who trade in these binoculars and i think the fact that the market still endures and flourishes says something positive about the marque

Rich T

#27 Wes James

Wes James

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:15 PM

"The 10x50 Zeiss Jena is excellent, as long as you don't need to use it with glasses (eye-relief is short). In good condition, they easily cost 200 $, so you should get it. Just make sure that you don't get one of the Japanese 'fakes'. More Info on that is on my Web-page

www.holgermerlitz.de"

Would be interested in reading about these Japanese 'fakes'- unfortunately for me, I don't speak German! Any English translations of this info??

#28 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:39 PM

Holger's HOME web page address seems to have changed recently and no longer contains all those excellent binocular reviews .

Perhaps Holger himself may read THIS someday soon and update us on this matter .

What I DID manage to find was a very informative web page by another extremely knowledgable CN member we also very sadly haven't heard from for a while , Claudio :

http://66.102.9.104/...uk&ct=clnk&cd=1

Kenny

#29 chris charen

chris charen

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:52 PM

I had a pair of Zenith 16x50s. 'Good to excellent' Japanese optics. Coated optics. They were the equal to my Pentax and almost as good as my Yashicas. Not a lot of edge distortion and no obvious color. Difficult to hand hold at 16x. Only issue I had was fungus build up eventually sold them.

#30 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:09 PM

I'm sorry the above link took up so much space that we need to apply to the local council for an extension to our PC screens to read it !

I also notice that Claudio's DETAILED account is no longer available as a web page .

There were MANY small points which Claudio observed to distinguish between GENUINE and " fake " models , but I only remember TWO from the top of my head .

One was the focus wheels on the GENUINE models were METALLIC
whilst on the " fakes " they are PLASTIC .

And GENUINE models had a SEVEN digit serial number whereas the " fakes " I believe have only SIX numbers on them .

I also seem to recall something about the way the FIELD Of VIEW is indicated on the prism covers , and the types of prism cover SCREWS to be other " clues " .

I could be mistaken about THIS point , but I think the ORIGINALS , if they had a field of view inscription at all , did NOT have it indicated in DEGREES , but I think the " fakes " DO .

I wish Claudio could see this and put these points across more accurately , but at least this gives an IDEA of the kind of cunning involved with this strange business .

Regards , Kenny

#31 Wes James

Wes James

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:26 PM

Thanks for your thoughts on this subject! My former wife & I used to collect Depression glass... Cheap "give-away" glass dishes from the depression era- and when it became popular to collect, of course- the countefitors were not far behind... the differences were subtle- and if you didn't know the difference, you might think you're getting a piece worth $300.00- when in reality- because it was a fake- would be worth only $10.00-15.00. The differences could be that on the bottom of a correct piece there would be 5 emvossed cherries- on a fake- 6, the branches of a cherry blossom branch would look real on an original and flat on a fake. Important to know the differences- and I became worried when I started reading about fake Carl Zeiss Jena's, as I've got a pair of 7x50's and a pair of 10x50's- recently purchased through European dealers... but mine seem to check out as correct. Thanks for your inputs from memory, Kenny- you've made one C/N's member feel a lot better!

#32 holger_merlitz

holger_merlitz

Mariner 2

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:39 AM

>>Holger's HOME web page address seems to have changed recently and no longer contains all those excellent binocular reviews .

---------------------------------------------------------

Dear Kenny,

Thanks for your concern! I have also noticed the problem and try to find a solution. Perhaps my provider has quit business, I can't reach anybody there and I will have to switch to another one. Hopefully, within a couple of days the web-site will be back online.

Best,
Holger

#33 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:04 AM

Good to hear from you Holger !

I hope you manage to sort the problem out soon .

Looking at your " google credentials " I'm surprised you ever find the TIME to spend on BINOCULARS :-)

Kind regards , Kenny

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics