•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Not Considering a Mac - Yet

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
119 replies to this topic

#101 summitlake

summitlake

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 January 2004 - 10:38 PM

Ron, I agree I would never cheapen quality to "cut corners" or save a buck. My thinking is that, for this project, I don't need a power supply that can support 4 to 6 HD's, a USB chain of 6 devices and two or three burners and players. The quality brand names that I know about start at 400-420 watts and work their way up: Vantec, and PC Power & Cooling. I do have a perfectly good PC Power & Cooling 400W in the closet. My hope was for something a little quieter with a lower current drain and heat buildup.

Slam, those DashPC's certainly look intriguing! Are you driving today, or do you want to be navigator?

#102 NuroSlam

NuroSlam

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 January 2004 - 10:42 PM

I've been following the dashpc project for about a year, i've tried it out on a laptop and other then a few pieces of code that were specific to his drive layout it worked very well. I have a 12" touch screen thats just waiting for a car to go in.

Slam

#103 NuroSlam

NuroSlam

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 January 2004 - 10:43 PM

Just spoke to a freind on IRC and hes currently using mythtv on his home entertainment center

www.mythtv.org

Slam

#104 summitlake

summitlake

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 January 2004 - 01:41 AM

V. impressive. I must say that this technology is so far beyond my needs and interests that you could just as well call me a TV Luddite. Recording three or four download threads at once is, for someone like me, like dropping quad Cummins diesels into Noah's Ark.

I do know the coding and GUI end of the business well enough to say that the mythtv product would be a challenging programming project. The screen shots and description looks awesome.

#105 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 25 January 2004 - 03:22 AM

Bigger is better - especially in power supplies. PC Power & Cooling won't let you down - regardless of the noise

#106 summitlake

summitlake

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 January 2004 - 12:33 AM

Household computer #2 is up and running, another Cooler Master/ASUS/AMD 3000+ combo. It is now running fine, still needs a lot of W2000 updates (already has SETI of course). Have to call CRU on a bad DataPort - fan failure alarm is "always on" though the fan runs fine. I had a spare on order so that saved the day.

By the time I figure out how I want to set up this little black Silverstone music center PC toy, and do it, I will be ready to give the computer building business a rest.

The Atlas mount for the 10" Orion has been here since before Christmas, and I haven't even set up THAT yet (though there are space issues in this little apartment -- a serious case of telescope size and space misjudgement).

Somehow photos of computers are not as exciting as photos of telescopes, but I will try to take and upload a small one in the next few days. I sure appreciate all the help I've gotten on this forum - Mac, harrumph (hey, I'm still considering, aren't I?) - so thank you all.

#107 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 29 January 2004 - 01:40 AM

If you be considering a Mac, I hope it's not a laptop - Apple just agreed to a major warranty extension on notebooks due to major mobo and display problems...

#108 rboe

rboe

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 29 January 2004 - 11:18 AM

If you be considering a Mac, I hope it's not a laptop - Apple just agreed to a major warranty extension on notebooks due to major mobo and display problems...

To clarify, it's only the iBook line and it's only for one component exhibiting a certain failure mode. The link below has the gory details.
http://www.apple.com...port/ibook/faq/

Sounds like they got burned, like the hard drive manufactures do from time to time, by a third party component failing.

The warranty extension is for three years from the original purchase date and does not cover any other Apply products.

#109 summitlake

summitlake

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 February 2004 - 12:03 AM

My laptops demand a USB keyboard/mouse connection but my Wintel desktops vastly prefer old fashion PS/2 ports. Oh yeah, sure, I know you can plug keyboards into the USB ports, but the ports have a bad habit of going to sleep and never waking up. Soyo had a dedicated USB keyboard slot, but even that wasn't reliable, and try to bat 50% booting into BIOS with a USB keyboard.

Oh sure, I know Apple dropped the ADB and serial ports for USB-only I/O, and not only that but they got their act together on USB drivers. I have not heard of any problems with Apple USB.

All of which makes a KVM switch an interesting exercise. I have a Belkin 4-port that supports USB only, so I have some direct keyboard connections to the desktops, which partially defeats the whole purpose of having a KVM, doesn't it?

So I ordered an Avocet SwitchView 4-port which supports both USB and PS/2. Best of both worlds. Cross platform and everything. It arrived today. Started hooking everything up.

The Belkin had all male VGA output ports. The Avocet has all female. Wouldn't you just know it! I already have enough cables to start a store - like Rusty has retail CPU cooler fans - and now I need adapters. Or use my old long VGA male-males and -- what the heck did I do with that raft of serial cables I used to have? Oh, lordy.

#110 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 11 February 2004 - 11:30 PM

I've used USB-to-PS/2 adaptors with nary a problem. The sleepy USB ports can generally be cured with a little BIOS tickling. Make sure that wake-on-keyboard and wake-on-mouse are enabled; some mobos need that feature (if onboard) enabled. Also "enable" USB (don't use the auto feature) id that's a choice.

Naturally, none of this will help, as you have already substantiated that you are cursed due to the gender problems with the KVM switches.

You need serial cables? I got'em. :grin:

#111 summitlake

summitlake

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 February 2004 - 12:31 AM

I'll check them there BIOS's again. I was wondering about the USB to PS/2 adapters in a pinch ... thanks!

You got cables? AND retail box CPU coolers? Man!

#112 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 12 February 2004 - 12:41 AM

Sometimes, the best thing you can do to a system that isn't working quite right is to go into the BIOS setup, set the CMOS defaults, save 'em and reboot.

#113 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 12 February 2004 - 12:58 AM

Real Men don't do BIOS defaults.

And of course, I got serial cables - and floppy cables for 5.25" drives (of which I still have 2). And I also got 2x350 watt redundant AT P/Ss and a few ISA I/O cards, and one lone VESA video card (which I don't think is alive).

But I ain't an accumulator, as all my Commodore 64/128 and PET 64 stuff is gone (I think).

#114 rboe

rboe

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 12 February 2004 - 09:30 AM

Step One; I have a problem.....

#115 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 12 February 2004 - 01:44 PM

Real Men don't do BIOS defaults.

Nope, only professionals! ;)

#116 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 12 February 2004 - 11:23 PM

I DON'T have a problem

I DON'T have a problem

I DON'T have a problem

I DON'T have a problem

#117 rboe

rboe

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 13 February 2004 - 08:48 AM

I DON'T have a problem

I DON'T have a problem

I DON'T have a problem

I DON'T have a problem

:roflmao:

I'd tell what step 2 is, but I've never gotten beyond step one myself. :foreheadslap:

#118 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 13 February 2004 - 11:50 PM

Huh? There IS a Step 2? when dis happen?

#119 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 13 February 2004 - 11:54 PM

When the slave drive on the secondary IDE controller stopped working because the CMOS bit controlling the number of heads got corrupted by a rogue poke to that byte in CMOS.

#120 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 15 February 2004 - 12:20 AM

I don't be permitting that to happen...so far

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics