•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

what distance betting objective

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 jack savard

jack savard

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:33 PM

I am in the process to built a binocular whit two 90mm triplet objective at about 350 mm FL

I built it whit mirror and my question is about how much distance I can put betting the two objective

if I put it at maximun I have something like 15 inch betting the two or I can put it very near something like 6 inch look like my ordinary 25X100

do i have a better perpective at 15 inch
or nothing better

advise please

:tonofbricks:

#2 edcannon

edcannon

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:40 PM

I'm going to attempt a reply. I think instead of "betting" you mean "between", so your question is how far apart your objectives should be on your home-made 90mm binocular. I can only guess on the correct answer to that question, but I would think that there would not be much to gain by setting them far apart, as your targets in astronomy are at "infinity" in terms of lens focus. I would think that there would be no reason to have them any farther apart than the minimum distance to allow them to work mechanically.

Good luck!

Ed Cannon - Austin, Texas, USA

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:40 AM

I believe this forum had a discussion on the visual effects of changing the objective spacing many months ago. A forum search could probably dig it up if anyone is interested.

#4 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:47 AM

That was relative to the close focusing of terrerstrial viewing and pertained to depth of field. Very good discussion, however it would not pertain to viewing at infinity.

I agree with Ed C, no benefit for astro observing.

edz

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:49 AM

Oh yeah. That was it. Excellent recall EdZ...or did you cheat and look it up? ;)

#6 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:05 PM

While I struggle to remember the names of people that walk by my desk every day whom i've worked with for 10-15 years, that little nugget was stuck in some otherwise unused brain cell.

edz

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics