•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help on good binocular setup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Chris_H

Chris_H

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 17 December 2003 - 08:14 PM

Hello boys and girls.

I ran came across some extra money and instead of blowing it on more Christmas presents :smirk: , I was wondering about getting a good binocular setup instead. I have a 120mm refractor, but will be selling it soon because my right eye took some damage a while back so I don’t really use it anymore. I dont want to lose too much aperture, so I’ve been looking at the Oberwerk 22x100. But with my "luck", a 120 bino will probably come out next year! I have around $1200 to spend, so if anyone has a good setup to recommend, let’s hear it! :jump:

#2 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 17 December 2003 - 11:26 PM

I have the Ober 22x100s, and for 4 large, it's hard to beat them; I'm VERY happy with mine.

But with that amount of resources, you could look at more exotic sets - and www.bigbinoculars.com is a good start.

You might try a posting on AstroMart and see if you have any responses/suggestions....

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 18 December 2003 - 01:12 AM

Chris;

Just to ask the question, why not view with your left eye?
Might take some practice so it doesn't fatigue quickly, but it should be trainable.

Keith

#4 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 18 December 2003 - 09:48 AM

Consider for any of the large 16x70, 20x80 or larger binoculars, you need to think about reserving $200-250 for a muont and $100-$150 for a tripod.

That leaves you with $800-900 for binocs.

It'll probably cost you at least $50 to get it all shipped, So maybe you should look at binoculars in the range of $750 to $800.

There are a few reviews of the Oberwerk 22x100s.

Depending on your targets, you'll get more gain from premium glass and coatings and additional magnification than you will from aperture.

Don't be too concerned about giving up some aperture. The magnification in binoculars is generally so low that the primary loss as compared to a scope is not in aperture, it's in magnification.

A binocular at 20x compared to a scope at 80-100x will see about a full magnitude or more lower.

A 100mm binocular (viewing at low powers of 20x to 25x) vs a 120mm binocular at the same powers will see only about 0.3 magnitude lower.

A binocular at 25x vs another binocular at 20x will see about 0.3 mag deeper. You can easily make up for the 20mm difference in aperture by a 25% increase in magnification.

There would be a difference in faint diffuse objects. The larger aperture would gather more light.

edz

#5 Chris_H

Chris_H

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 18 December 2003 - 03:39 PM

Keith, I tried doing that for about a month but I was just too uncomfortable. I might try again another time though. Until then I figured binoculars would work better for me. :)

Edz, if power is more important then aperture, what would you recommend? I don’t think I want the fov to be smaller then 3. I looked at the Fujinon 16x70 but I can’t find a place that ship overseas. The shops here demand a PREMIUM price (~$1450) - far more then I’m willing to pay for them! :bawling:

I was thinking about getting a parallelogram mount. I already have a sturdy wooden tripod, but I don’t know if I will be able to use it, since it has one of those metal "thingies" that lock the SP mount in place. :confused:

Chris

#6 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 18 December 2003 - 04:13 PM

Well, you had your eyes set on those 22x100 Oberwerks and that's not a bad idea. I wouldn't worry about not having 120mm. Those are big 8#+ binoculars and they need a very sturdy mount. You could probably hang them off of a parallelogram like the Unimount Basic. You can get the center mounting post for the Unimount to fit any size ****'re likely to have.
http://www.universalastronomics.com/

I don't own the 22x100, but I have seen them. They are the same body as the 20x80 Deluxe which I do own. They have a short range on the right eye diopter adjustment, unless it's been recently modified.

I also own the Fujinon 16x70. It's pretty hard to beat the contrast in these binoculars, even with a higher powered view.

APM Germany sells the Fujinons.
http://www.astromart....asp?cid=136643

http://www.apm-telescopes.de/

#7 Chris_H

Chris_H

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 18 December 2003 - 11:44 PM

Thank you for your help Ed. I think I'll go for the 22x100 and if I don’t like it, I can always send it back and buy the Fujinon instead.

I have one more question; Do you (or anyone else in here) know if there’s anyway to attach a narrowband filter to the 22x100?

Chris

#8 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 19 December 2003 - 12:15 AM

Chris,

I think you'll be pleased with the Ober 22x100. I don't know of any way to attach filters to binocs with fixed EPs...at the least, they'd have to go externally, and there'd have to be some kind of homemade adaptor to secure them.

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 19 December 2003 - 01:33 AM

Chris;

I have my 11x70's on a parallelogram mount. It is a great way to view. No arm strain, easy to move around etc. To view overhead you still have to bend your neck back a long way unless you rig them up next to a reclining beach type chair.

Keith

#10 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 19 December 2003 - 09:37 AM

Filters for binoculars are inserted between the eyepiece and the eyecup. Remove the eyecup, set the filter over the eyepiece lens loose and replace the eyecup. that holds it in place. it is generally recommend only one filter be used, on the dominant eye. the other eyepiece is left unfiltered. This way your eyes will process the star images and the nebular images and see more information.

edz

#11 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 19 December 2003 - 09:30 PM

edz - great advice - my only problem (on the Ober 22x100s) is that I replaced the winged eyecups with the flat ones from the 20x80s, and they're a bear to get on and off....

#12 Chris_H

Chris_H

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 19 December 2003 - 11:17 PM

You guys rock - I should have joined earlier! I’m sure that would have stopped me doing stupid and expensive mistakes... :mad:

Well I ordered the 22x100 today and of course felt bad straight away. Buyer’s remorse sucks big time, but I’m sure it will go away when I get them! ;)

I didn’t order a parallelogram yet, because I have a question. Both the Unimount Basic and Unimount Deluxe can take the same load. What will the 6 degrees deluxe model have over the 4 degree basic one? Most seem to go for the deluxe version. I’m not being cheap here, but why fork over twice as much $ if you don’t have to! ;)

On the filter issue. Are we talking normal filters here or are there filters made specifically for binoculars? I read somewhere that someone removed the filter from the housing and put it under the eyecup. Supposedly it worked just fine. Is this what you mean, Ed? Now reading Rusty’s comment, is there anywhere we can get HQ eyecups or do we have to use super glue? :p I see the Oberwerks are only $10 so I’m assuming they aren’t top quality stuff.

Chris

#13 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 20 December 2003 - 10:37 PM

The Ober flat eyecups are fine - not flimsy nor overly stiff - but I had to lube 'em with some liquid soap to get them on. If I didn't wear glasses, I'd have just used the winged ones, as the lens cap snaps into them - there's no provision on the flat eyecups.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics