•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nexstar 6 SE

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
131 replies to this topic

#1 flboy

flboy

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:49 PM

It arrived this afternoon and thought I'd share some differences that I noticed right off.

First the scope base fits the tripod better/easier than the 5 SE did. It seemed that the three mounting pads extended out from the base, which made it more difficult to align the mounting holes.

The 6 SE dew shield is longer/wider and has a notch for the dovetail, which 5 SE didn't.

Tripod on the 5 SE had a washer, spring & knob and the 6 SE has a washer & knob, no spring.

There's more clearance between the base and the star diagonal.

Now it's time to align the RDF for tonights viewing.

John

Attached Thumbnails

• 4063894-IMG_0003.JPG

#2 flboy

flboy

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:50 PM

Oh yea, the scope is 90 degrees. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• 4063898-IMG_0002.JPG

#3 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:15 PM

Hi John:

Congratulations! You're gonna love that scope! :waytogo:

I think the reason the 6/8 mount is easier to put onto the tripod is because there are little indentations for the 3 feet. Once you drop it onto the central pin, a slight rotation locks it into those indentations which aligns the screws with the holes. Since the 4/5 tripod plate is flat so you have to work at it to find the right location for the mounting holes to line up.

And yes, MUCH more clearance behind the diagonal. In fact, the 5SE pretty much has to be all the way forward on the dovetail just for the stock diagonal to clear the base. There's no room for adjustment. Seems odd that, in the case of the 5SE, the only real purpose of the dovetail is to remove the OTA, not adjust it.

-Dan

#4 Peter9

Peter9

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:27 PM

Hi John,
Pleased you now have your new scope. The 6se is a great scope which I'm sure you are going to enjoy.

Regards. Peter.

#5 BillStar

BillStar

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:39 PM

John,
Woo-hoo!
Congrats!
:waytogo:

(first-light report please)!

#6 flboy

flboy

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:59 PM

Dan ~ thanks!
It's so easy for me to mount the 6 than the 5. You're right about how "you have to work at it to find the right location for the mounting holes to line up." Kind of a pain in the dark :(

Oh yea, the 6SE power on/off switch is a nice rocker, where the 5SE has a thin slide switch. The rocker will be easier for me.

Peter & Bill ~ thanks and yes, a first light report will follow.

Orion is up around 5am, so I'm hoping to catch it in the next couple of mornings. Plus Jupiter is out after midnight.

John

#7 ftrobbie

ftrobbie

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:13 PM

John

Have fun with it, use Art's useful thread and you will hopefully realise that it was the equipment not the end user that was at fault. But if you get stuck you know what to do. Just watch the power socket if you are running off of an external battery. The Celestron mount connector is sloppy, I have proved that the plug on my lead is a 2.1mm The pins in the mount continually need spreading male and it is loose.

Now wait patiently and then get a good eyeful of Jupiter and if you are still up, Orion. It has looked beautiful around 0400-0500 BST in the UK the last few mornings.

Have fun

Rob

#8 kkokkolis

kkokkolis

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:37 PM

Enjoy that lovely scope. When I don't use it I go and take looks at it and smile. And consider that I have it 15 months now. Only the love I have for my wife lasted longer in my life!
I observed recently with 4 friends. They had 2 SW 8'' f/ Newtonians on a Vixen and a SW EQ6 equatorial mounts and a 6'' Bresser achro. 6SE beat them easily in quality of views. They were jealous!

#9 flboy

flboy

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:27 AM

Rob & Kkokkolis ~ thanks for those words of encouragement.

#10 Tel

Tel

Voyager 1

• In Memoriam

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:58 AM

Hi John,

Very many congratulations on obtaining your new 6SE. :bow: :bow:

Now you can really get down to some serious viewing and in time, ---- perhaps a little imaging ? :idea:

Best regards,
Tel

#11 flboy

flboy

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:40 AM

Hi Tel ~ and thanks! Yes, imaging will start soon.

#12 flboy

flboy

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:03 AM

I went out yesterday afternoon to align the RDF with the scope, but it was too hot as I was sweating like a pig and didn't want sweat droplets landing on the EP. So I'll align it tonight.

I went out around 8:30pm and Vega was really bright in the western sky. I pointed the scope towards it and after a couple of adjustments, I had it centered in the EP.

I then turn on the RDF and with both eyes open, start the alignment process. I couldn't see the red dot, know matter what angle I viewed from. I started to move the Alt knob and the red dot came on, but then went right off. So I tapped the side of the RDF and I could see the red dot come on with each tap, but go off immediately. I then tapped it a few more times until it finally stayed on. I then recentered Vega in the EP and went back to the RDF and it was off. I tapped it and the red dot appeared, but once I started to adjust either the Alt or Az knobs, the red dot would go off.

There must be a short within the RDF :foreheadslap: so I called it a night.

While unpacking the scope, I noticed in the small box that the RDF, EP & Star Diagonal were loosely on the bottom with the brown packing paper on top. There was plenty of air space for the diagonal to bounce around, landing on the RDF. Also the RDF is in a plastic bag, not in a box like the EP & star diagonal. So may be the RDF got banged around enough to cause a short within it's circuity.

I'll call Telescopes.com and see if they'll next day air one to me.

I had to laugh about this last night because it's been one thing after another, but I know I'm getting close to viewing those wonderful objects in the night sky!!! :grin:

#13 Crusader

Crusader

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:44 AM

John, you could try to adjust the little knob that turns the RDF on and off. You'll see that there's a screw in the center of the know which you could tighten. I have a Skywatcher RDF that was also extremely flaky, and tightening that seemed to help quite a bit.

Also with this finder I have to turn the brightness up by quite a bit before it actually starts to show.

#14 flboy

flboy

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:06 AM

John, you could try to adjust the little knob that turns the RDF on and off. You'll see that there's a screw in the center of the know which you could tighten. I have a Skywatcher RDF that was also extremely flaky, and tightening that seemed to help quite a bit.

Also with this finder I have to turn the brightness up by quite a bit before it actually starts to show.

I went over the every component, screw and knob, and everything was tight with no visible defects.

Fortunately Telescopes.com came to my rescue. They are shipping me out:
http://www.telescope...ountingbase.cfm

at no charge via Fed-X 2nd day service. So I'll have this on Friday. They told me to destroy/throw away the Celestron RDF.

Telescopes.com again has shown me that customer service is their number one goal!!! :applause:

#15 Crusader

Crusader

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:26 AM

Fortunately Telescopes.com came to my rescue. They are shipping me out:
http://www.telescope...ountingbase.cfm

at no charge via Fed-X 2nd day service. So I'll have this on Friday. They told me to destroy/throw away the Celestron RDF.

Telescopes.com again has shown me that customer service is their number one goal!!! :applause:

Now that is a bargain. Just don't be too surprised at how huge the Telrad is. I recently imported one for use on my XT10 and it's much larger than I expected.

#16 flboy

flboy

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:29 AM

[/quote]Now that is a bargain. Just don't be too surprised at how huge the Telrad is. I recently imported one for use on my XT10 and it's much larger than I expected. [/quote]

It sure is a bargain :)

They forewarned me that it would be larger than the RDF, but 100X better.

How do you like it? Any insights to share?

Thanks!!

#17 Crusader

Crusader

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:05 PM

I haven't actually attached it to my scope yet, so I haven't used it yet. I'm waiting for a 4" riser to arrive from the US before attaching it.

I did play around with it, running around outside with it like a gun. :grin:

The circles are nicely visible and you can change the brightness from very faint to very bright. You don't get the parralax you do with a normal RDF, but you do need to get your eye close to the viewing window to get the maximum field of view, and to see the full set of circles.

#18 flboy

flboy

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2010 - 01:37 PM

Thanks for the input!

#19 BillStar

BillStar

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:20 PM

Orion is up around 5am, so I'm hoping to catch it in the next couple of mornings. Plus Jupiter is out after midnight.

Wow, you've got a lot of patience! I'd have to grab Orion at around 2 a.m.
:grin:

Bill

#20 flboy

flboy

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:39 PM

Hey Bill!

I'm going after Orion's neb & then Jupiter(5am).

And it should be clear again :)

#21 flboy

flboy

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:01 PM

Crusader got me thinking about this replacement finderscope and I'm wondering if it's too large? It's 8" X 1.75". It basically takes the entire OTA.

I have seen some large(I call them mini-scopes)finders within this forum, so I'm sure someone well share.

#22 Crusader

Crusader

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:13 AM

It shouldn't be too large, although it will look bulky. The Telrad seems to be more designed for Dobs and larger scopes.
The degree circles are also a bit of a waste on a Go-To since you'll only use it to align the alignment stars. It doesn't weigh much, so on that point you should be fine.

#23 flboy

flboy

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:37 AM

Okay & thanks!

#24 flboy

flboy

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:14 AM

I went out around 1am to view Jupiter, but unfortunately there was a thin layer of haze in the upper atmosphere, so the views were not as crisp or clear as previous viewings.

I did see Jupiter's moons, just like Crusader's photo. I don't remember seeing them through the 5SE, but then again, I was primarily focusing on Jupiter.

I saw 4 moons total. Three bright, 2 on one side & 1 on the other, and one faint moon lower right of Jupiter. It was awesome to see this and worth the wait :)

I got lucky and manually eyeballed Jupiter into the EP the 1st try. I did notice much more vibration when adjusting the focus using the 25mm EP than with the 5SE. And since the "seeing" conditions weren't the best, I honestly can't say that the views are better with the 6 over the 5. But clearer nights are on the way :) and I'll be able to give a better opinion.

I went out around 5am to see Orion's Neb, but the full moon was too bright and the upper level haze was still in place. So instead of setting up, I'll wait until the moon gets closer to the last qtr.

Note: even with poor seeing conditions, the optics that Celestron has in these SE series scopes is truly amazing. For $800 USD, you can't bet the views :)

#25 flboy

flboy

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:45 AM

Oh yea, I was surprised at how bright the moon's around Jupiter are. Truly beautiful!!!

I also checked the collimation and from a rookies point of view, when I defocused the scope, the circles/rings seemed symmetrical to me.

I'm looking forwarded to adding the 2X Barlow along with some higher mag EP. I haven't used them yet, only the 8mm-24mm zoom.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics