•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Tool: DSO Browser

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#76 DSObserver2000

DSObserver2000

Viking 1

• Loc: Big D, Texas

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:52 PM

Thank you for creating this wonderful site. It is my favorite website and I always use it. I've been to a lot of astronomical websites and so far this is the best one I've seen. :)

#77 DSObserver2000

DSObserver2000

Viking 1

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:30 PM

I can't seem to search for visible objects anymore and get a "An Internal Error Has Occurred" message. I've tried on multiple devices and get the same message. Is there a way to get around this problem or is this a server error? Please help, I'm as blind as a bat without this site.

#78 DSObserver2000

DSObserver2000

Viking 1

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:53 PM

Nevermind, it's fixed. Thank you :)

#79 sebagr

sebagr

Telescopius - Astronomy Planning Made Easy

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:31 AM

Nevermind, it's fixed. Thank you :)

Hi Brandon,

Sorry, I was not following this thread so I wasn't aware of the problem. I'm a full time programmer who maintains this site on my spare time, so it may take some time until I fix problems like this one. If you (or anyone!) finds a problem, I'd appreciate if you could contact me with a direct message here in Cloudy Nights :)

By the way, I've just released new features!

- Moon calendar (monthly and yearly) adapted to your selected hemisphere and timezone.

- You can now create a user to save your observing list and share it across devices

- If you create a user, you can receive a monthly e-mail with object suggestions tailored to your location

- A quick weather report in the home page towards the bottom - should be enough to see at least if we have clear nights ahead or not :)

More updates are coming, but they are big changes and require some love (i.e. long hours). As I said, I'm a full time programmer who maintains this site on my spare time, so any help from your part will be greatly appreciated (there's a secure donation form in the home page).

As usual, if you have any comment please let me know!

Clear skies!

S.

#80 sebagr

sebagr

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:03 PM

Hi guys,

Just a heads up, I've just released a re-styling of the site aimed to make it usable in mobile devices (tablets and phones): http://dso-browser.com

I also added some quick suggestions in the homepage, and an altitude chart next to search results to see the altitude of the objects during the night: http://dso-browser.com/dso/search

Hope you like it! Or at least that you find it more useful :)

As usual, please let me know your comments, good ones and bad ones.

Clear skies!

S.

#81 bhamon

bhamon

Sputnik

• Loc: PRUNELLI DI CASACCONI, CORSICA, FRANCE

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:14 AM

Hi Sebastian,

Congrats for the wonderful job you've done with Deep Sky Object Browser. I'm just starting to discover it but it seems really powerful.

However, I'm having some problems with the search criteria on DeepSkyObject Browser. It seems that it doesn't take into account the local time i'm setting for the observation.

Here is a screen capture I've just made.

captur10.jpg

You can see that the results are showing some objects visible after midnight although I've specified from 9pm to 12am il the local time field...

What am I doing wrong ? Thanks.

Jean Boris

#82 sebagr

sebagr

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 05 September 2015 - 02:13 PM

Hi Jean,

I'm glad you like the site :)

You are not doing anything wrong, what you bumped into was an error: the search algorithm got confused when the minimum or maximum hour was exactly 0 hours (12am). The system would take that "0" as if the search option was not set and would ignore it.

I've just fixed that and seems to be working ok now.

Thanks for letting me know! If you have any other comment, question or suggestion, I'm all ears :)

Clear skies!

S.

Hi Sebastian,

Congrats for the wonderful job you've done with Deep Sky Object Browser. I'm just starting to discover it but it seems really powerful.

However, I'm having some problems with the search criteria on DeepSkyObject Browser. It seems that it doesn't take into account the local time i'm setting for the observation.

Here is a screen capture I've just made.

You can see that the results are showing some objects visible after midnight although I've specified from 9pm to 12am il the local time field...

What am I doing wrong ? Thanks.

Jean Boris

#83 bhamon

bhamon

Sputnik

• Loc: PRUNELLI DI CASACCONI, CORSICA, FRANCE

Posted 06 September 2015 - 08:52 AM

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for the quick response. Everything looks fine now.

Another question : do you plan to add a sky chart function to the Deep Sky Object Browser. I mean a chart where would be plotted the DSO added in an observing list. I don't know how difficult that would be.

Thanks.

Jean Boris.

Hi Jean,

I'm glad you like the site :)

You are not doing anything wrong, what you bumped into was an error: the search algorithm got confused when the minimum or maximum hour was exactly 0 hours (12am). The system would take that "0" as if the search option was not set and would ignore it.

I've just fixed that and seems to be working ok now.

Thanks for letting me know! If you have any other comment, question or suggestion, I'm all ears :)

Clear skies!

S. 

#84 sebagr

sebagr

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:14 PM

Another question : do you plan to add a sky chart function to the Deep Sky Object Browser. I mean a chart where would be plotted the DSO added in an observing list. I don't know how difficult that would be.

That was not in my plans but sounds like a great idea! I'll see what I can do :)

Cheers!

#85 Blackened

Blackened

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:06 PM

Great amazing Website. I just stumbled on it and WOW. I have one question thou. How do I set the search settings just to show me nebula in the West? I have limited visibility and would like to set a preference for instance to either show me objects in the west or south?

#86 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Aurora

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:16 PM

Great amazing Website. I just stumbled on it and WOW. I have one question thou. How do I set the search settings just to show me nebula in the West? I have limited visibility and would like to set a preference for instance to either show me objects in the west or south?

You can bound it by the RA parameter (sidereal time) in the "Coordinate settings". Similarly you can bound N/S by using DEC constraints.

For e.g. for tonight 8PM try entering the RA constraints: 0H 00M to 20H 0M. This will give you all objects from the zenith to the horizon in the West.

Edited by Astrojedi, 19 November 2015 - 04:17 PM.

#87 Blackened

Blackened

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 November 2015 - 01:30 AM

You can bound it by the RA parameter (sidereal time) in the "Coordinate settings". Similarly you can bound N/S by using DEC constraints.

For e.g. for tonight 8PM try entering the RA constraints: 0H 00M to 20H 0M. This will give you all objects from the zenith to the horizon in the West.

Sorry I dont know how to enter the 00M? Is it like this?

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

#88 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Aurora

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:28 PM

Sorry I dont know how to enter the 00M? Is it like this?

Sorry to confuse you. Just select 0 as shown in the attached screenshot. DSO browser does not have an entry for minutes. So you will be entering 0h - 20h in the RA field

Clipboard01.png

Also note that I have a north facing backyard and depending on where I setup I have a limited view of the southern sky. So I have also entered DEC values from -10 to 90 which will give me everything in the northern half of the sky plus objects up to -10 deg south of the celestial equator

Edited by Astrojedi, 20 November 2015 - 07:34 PM.

#89 Blackened

Blackened

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 November 2015 - 03:25 AM

Fanks. This will make such a great Android and Iphone App.

Edited by Blackened, 21 November 2015 - 03:25 AM.

#90 TNWulff

TNWulff

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Allardt, TN

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:51 AM

Just found this link. Looks like a great resource, looking forward to trying it out.

#91 calli

calli

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Berlin, Germany

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:34 PM

Hi!

Great and usefull tool!

I just found a quirk in chrome in Android . when i try to add a location and choose "find my location" i am back in the my locations page.

And a idea/feature request: together with the location there could be a list of degrees with free sky to the sky. Here at my home i can for example not look to the East for example.

Best regards,

Carsten

#92 sebagr

sebagr

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:20 PM

Hi guys,

I'm back to share some great news! After months of working in my spare time, I've just released the new version of the site in which you can upload your astrophotography, free of charge as usual.

Features include:

* Attaching pictures to objects, so when people is searching for targets they can see other users's pictures and browse the photographer's profile.

* Specifying which equipment you used, subs (lights, darks, flat frames), how the seeing and transparency were that night, etc.

* Add a link to your own website to promote it

* Upload astrophotography of any kind, not only deep sky objects. You may upload pictures of eclipses, the milky way core, planets, you name it.

In here you have some examples of mine:

Sculptor Galaxy

Southern Pinwheel Galaxy

Supermoon eclipse

I'm planning to add more features soon, such as plate solving, picture rankings, and many more :)

With astrobin becoming a paid service this year, I believe the DSO Browser is now the only site which allows you to create your astrophotography profile, like, and comment on pictures absolutely for free and without limits on the amount of pictures you upload :)

Last but not least, thank you for your bug reports and feature requests so much! I haven't had time to tackle those because I was working hard to finish the Pictures feature. Hopefully I'll take care of them soon :)

As usual, if you have any comment or suggestion, I'm always open to discuss them, either here or privately.

Clear skies!

Sebastian.

#93 Bigzmey

Bigzmey

Mariner 2

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 15 March 2016 - 07:58 PM

Hi Sebastian

I love your site! It is my favorite "go-to" for session list generation and looking for DSO info. Lately, however it is hard to get on, or if you get on you can get kicked out in the middle of creating a list.

Does you site has a limit, i.e. 500 users at a time, or it is some other issues?

Thanks. 

#94 sebagr

sebagr

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:31 PM

Hi Sebastian

I love your site! It is my favorite "go-to" for session list generation and looking for DSO info. Lately, however it is hard to get on, or if you get on you can get kicked out in the middle of creating a list.

Does you site has a limit, i.e. 500 users at a time, or it is some other issues?

Thanks. 

Hi there,

I'm sorry you are having problems! What do you mean with "kicked out"? Are you logged out, or is the site unreachable?

The site doesn't have any user limit so this shouldn't happen to anyone. If you keep having problems please contact my by PM so we can see what's going on.

Thank you for letting me know!

Clear skies,

S.

• bladekeeper likes this

#95 Alec_Pond

Alec_Pond

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Brasília - Brazil

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:58 AM

Hi Sebastian!

I've just discovered your site while trying to graphically represent DSO's hourly altitudes!

You've done an excellent job here! IMO, with the new uploading capabilities this site could easily replace Astrobin, since its planning capabilities are a plus.

Allow me to make some suggestions:

- create a "contact me for suggestions" link in the site itself;

- allow expanding the hourly altitude graph for enhanced data detail;

- while planing, usually the date and location are different from your profile default, but you are forced to enter the observation's site  location and time every time you change the object or come back to the main page... The same applies to the objects in "what´s in the sky tonight?". It would be useful if you could just freeze in one of your locations and in one of your future time of observation and have this saved as your prefered account setting until you change it again. My observation's sites are far away from where I live...;

- it would be great to somehow have some Light Pollution Index, or meteorological data tailored to astronomical seeing, in the chosen observation location.

Clear skies,

Israel_B

PS: I've been also experiencing these problems with the server down, and the site being unreachable, lately. 

#96 sebagr

sebagr

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2016 - 05:03 PM

Hi Sebastian!

I've just discovered your site while trying to graphically represent DSO's hourly altitudes!

You've done an excellent job here! IMO, with the new uploading capabilities this site could easily replace Astrobin, since its planning capabilities are a plus.

Allow me to make some suggestions:

- create a "contact me for suggestions" link in the site itself;

- allow expanding the hourly altitude graph for enhanced data detail;

- while planing, usually the date and location are different from your profile default, but you are forced to enter the observation's site  location and time every time you change the object or come back to the main page... The same applies to the objects in "what´s in the sky tonight?". It would be useful if you could just freeze in one of your locations and in one of your future time of observation and have this saved as your prefered account setting until you change it again. My observation's sites are far away from where I live...;

- it would be great to somehow have some Light Pollution Index, or meteorological data tailored to astronomical seeing, in the chosen observation location.

Clear skies,

Israel_B

PS: I've been also experiencing these problems with the server down, and the site being unreachable, lately. 

Hi Alec,

Thank you for your suggestions! I'll keep them in mind for next versions, as I'm constantly working on the site :)

I'm sorry you are having problems with the site. As you suggest, the site should be remembering the location you set so you don't have to set it over and over again. That's how it works for me at least. If you don't mind, please PM me telling me which browser you are using and what is your username in the DSO Browser and I'll check what's going on.

Thank you!

#97 erikw

erikw

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Groningen, The Netherlands

Posted 27 March 2016 - 12:25 AM

Excellent job, very handy. Bookmarked it instantly. Thanks for all the work and effort you put in it.

#98 Bigzmey

Bigzmey

Mariner 2

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:27 PM

Hi Sebastian

Thanks. 

Hi there,

I'm sorry you are having problems! What do you mean with "kicked out"? Are you logged out, or is the site unreachable?

The site doesn't have any user limit so this shouldn't happen to anyone. If you keep having problems please contact my by PM so we can see what's going on.

Thank you for letting me know!

Clear skies,

S.

"Kicked out" meaning I am working on my list and when I type lets say "M45" in the search window and click "go" sites becomes unreachable. It is better now, I will let you know if issue comes back.

#99 sebagr

sebagr

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 04 April 2016 - 05:18 PM

Ahh that must have been some problems I had with the old server.

Last weekend I upgraded the server to a more powerful one, more responsive and with more features, so hopefully it should be more stable now :)

#100 RunningMan

RunningMan

Messenger

Posted 30 May 2016 - 01:40 AM

Awesome tool, thanks for sharing it!

• sebagr likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics