•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Tool: DSO Browser

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#101 picios

picios

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:36 AM

I'm also a programmer and I now from my experience how much work it takes to create such a detailed website. Great tool, I love it!

Edited by picios, 08 July 2016 - 01:38 AM.

#102 Solar storm

Solar storm

Mariner 2

• Loc: Iowa

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:54 AM

I also wanted to say that all your hard work is fantastic!

#103 sebagr

sebagr

Telescopius - Astronomy Planning Made Easy

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:57 AM

Thank you for your compliments, I'm glad you like the site!

I just wanted to mention that I've now included the full Sharpless and Hickson catalogues (without pictures, yet), and improved the overall response time of the site.

#104 sebagr

sebagr

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:41 PM

Oh, I also included most of the IC catalog, we now have 50% more objects in the site :)

#105 nerich

nerich

Viking 1

• Loc: Greensboro, NC

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:56 PM

Amazing work! What a helpful tool for planning observing sessions. Absolutely wonderful. 

#106 nunciusaustralis

nunciusaustralis

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Rio de janeiro, Brazil

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:39 PM

Amazing. 

Edited by nunciusaustralis, 19 August 2016 - 04:40 PM.

#107 CzechAstronomer

CzechAstronomer

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:32 PM

great! i have been recomending your site to many people!

#108 makeshiftdevan

makeshiftdevan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:21 PM

Thank you for a great tool!

#109 sebagr

sebagr

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:18 PM

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to share some news about the DSO Browser:

- We can now check the weather, 7-day hourly forecast, right into the site: https://dso-browser.com/weather

- There's a unique weather chart showing astronomy-related conditions in color-coded bars so dark regions are good for astronomy, so it's quite easy to see which moments will be great during the night.

- When selecting a date, the popup will now show the moon phases and the weather forecast for the next 7 nights, so you can see which night is the right one in a glimpse.

- You can now import your observing list into the Sequence Generator Pro (I think it's in beta their end, I think it'll be released soon).

- And it's been a while out there, but some of you may have not noticed we have a Sun, Moon & Planets Information section, which shows the times and elevation charts for the Sun and planets (and Pluto, poor Pluto).

If you like the site, please remember it's absolutely free but you can help me improve it and maintain it. Thank you!

As usual, if you have any comment or suggestion, I'm all ears :)

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 20.40.47.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 20.42.02.png

• Nucleophile, laixiaolue and mbrio76 like this

#110 laixiaolue

laixiaolue

Vostok 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:50 PM

Is it possible to add a "GOTO" button to send the coordinates to telescope via wifi/com? I am also a programmer, I can help if you need drivers for telescopes.

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to share some news about the DSO Browser:

- We can now check the weather, 7-day hourly forecast, right into the site: https://dso-browser.com/weather

- There's a unique weather chart showing astronomy-related conditions in color-coded bars so dark regions are good for astronomy, so it's quite easy to see which moments will be great during the night.

- When selecting a date, the popup will now show the moon phases and the weather forecast for the next 7 nights, so you can see which night is the right one in a glimpse.

- You can now import your observing list into the Sequence Generator Pro (I think it's in beta their end, I think it'll be released soon).

- And it's been a while out there, but some of you may have not noticed we have a Sun, Moon & Planets Information section, which shows the times and elevation charts for the Sun and planets (and Pluto, poor Pluto).

If you like the site, please remember it's absolutely free but you can help me improve it and maintain it. Thank you!

As usual, if you have any comment or suggestion, I'm all ears smile.gif

• sebagr likes this

#111 sebagr

sebagr

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:32 AM

Is it possible to add a "GOTO" button to send the coordinates to telescope via wifi/com? I am also a programmer, I can help if you need drivers for telescopes.

That's a terrific idea that didn't come to my mind because of technical limitations (usually websites can't access hardware directly). But I found some ways in which this could be achieved - if only with specific browsers.

I'll give it a try and let you know if I need any help. Thank you for your suggestion!

#112 michaeldurban

michaeldurban

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Durban, South Africa

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:43 PM

you made this?

wow...i just had a look..what a great tool !!

im in south africa and this is exactly what i needed..

thank you so much..great work !

#113 Lcm47

Lcm47

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Humble, Tx

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:18 PM

I just signed onto the Browser site and input all info for Planetary Nebulae -  Wonderful presentation !  I printed and clicked many references for My List.   This is an awsome tool. 

Thank You !

elsieMouse47

#114 Michael11

Michael11

Messenger

• Loc: Israel

Posted 10 June 2017 - 12:53 PM

Looks really nice,

I'll try using it as a post-observing lookup tool

#115 ninelives

ninelives

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Idaho

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:55 PM

This is a great tool! Just got my first telescope (120mm SW ProED) and this will be a big help in deciding what to look at. Thanks!

#116 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maia, Portugal

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:03 PM

Hey Sebagr, how are you?

Congratulations on your website, its an awesome tool. Been using it for a while and i love it.smile.gif

But im having a small problem . I cant seem to edit image details on uploaded images and i dont know why!!! I like to place information on how the image was taken.

Can you help me?

Thanks

Emanuel

#117 sebagr

sebagr

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:29 PM

Hi Emanuel,

Thanks for your kind words, I'm sorry you are having problems!

I've just sent you a PM so we can fix this ASAP.

Clear Skies!

• Emanuel likes this

#118 4thpage

4thpage

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Williamsburg, VA

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:40 PM

What a fantastic site! It really helps narrow down a night's viewing. And the weather section with the hourly conditions hover-slider thing is awesome. Great work!

#119 MP173

MP173

Apollo

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:00 AM

An amazing tool.

Thanks for all your work and dedication.

Use it often.

Ed

#120 amzking

amzking

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Space Coast, Florida

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:28 PM

Thank you so much, this is going to be incredibly useful to me as a new observer.  

Wondering what kind of adjustment I should make to compensate for a light polluted sky (like suburban levels of pollution.)  I have an 8" SCT but I set the magnitude limit to a 6" to compensate - does that sound correct?  Or is that even necessary?

#121 sebagr

sebagr

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:46 PM

Wondering what kind of adjustment I should make to compensate for a light polluted sky (like suburban levels of pollution.)  I have an 8" SCT but I set the magnitude limit to a 6" to compensate - does that sound correct?  Or is that even necessary?

Here you have a nice guide describing The Bortle Dark-Sky Scale (9 levels of light pollution): http://www.skyandtel...dark-sky-scale/

Just find the magnitude difference between a perfect dark sky and yours, and adjust accordingly. For a suburban sky you might need to go down to mag 12 approx.

#122 treadmarks

treadmarks

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Boston MA

Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:12 PM

Thank you so much, this is going to be incredibly useful to me as a new observer.  

I think I've found some good search parameters to ensure only "best of" or showpiece objects turn up. For galaxies and nebulae, I limit surface brightness to better than 22, and size of at least 5 arcmin (this excludes PN, but they tend to be easy in LP). Star clusters seem to be a simple question of magnitude, I'm using 7 right now. I'm also limiting to Messier, NGC, and IC.

I think DSO Browser is one of the best resources on the Web for an amateur astronomer, along with lightpollutionmap.info and of course CN. Much thanks to the creator.

#123 Svezda

Svezda

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:17 AM

Hi everyone!

...As stated in the FAQ, the site will always be free. However, if you find the site useful, I'd greatly appreciate even the smallest donation - it would really help in keeping the site online and adding more useful features...

Sebastian, I just made a donation and I hope that many other users will help support your wonderful contribution to amateur astronomy.

• sebagr likes this

#124 sebagr

sebagr

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:03 AM

Hi everyone!
...As stated in the FAQ, the site will always be free. However, if you find the site useful, I'd greatly appreciate even the smallest donation - it would really help in keeping the site online and adding more useful features...

Sebastian, I just made a donation and I hope that many other users will help support your wonderful contribution to amateur astronomy.

Thank you very much, Jason, I really appreciate it! smile.gif

I'm currently working on making the site feel more native-app-like and even have offline features, stay tuned smile.gif

Clear Skies!
  • mbrio76 likes this

#125 dgordontx

dgordontx

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central, TX

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:11 PM

Glad I ran across this. Was wondering if there was something like this. I'll give it a whirl.

Just checked it out and registered. Awesome. Thank you.

Edited by dgordontx, 23 February 2018 - 03:22 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics