•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Comet 103P Hartley

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:34 PM

Just a heads up guys so you can start planning for this event. I'm sure more will surface on this comet, as it may start doing some sudden brightening like that last one - forgot the name - getting old.

Oct 8 is will be around mag 5 +- and near the Double Cluster in Cass. Should make for a great photo shot.

Oct 20 it will be closest and may develop the classic tail - in Perseus as it also gets closer to the sun. Did that make sense? Like the phrase "throw the cow over the fence, some hay".

Anyone manage any frames last dark cycle? We need some activity here. Lots of lurkers paying a visit to see many of our postings, with some saying hello. Many former film users I'd bet.

#2 calder

calder

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:52 AM

Hi Igor,

I've been following some of the posts about this comet and will be attempting to get some shots of it. I'll be checking out a new observing location later this week and depending on how dark the sky is, I may have a look to see if I can locate it.

I did get one 60 min. shot of the Pleiades on the 7th with my 35mm Canon attached to my SV70. This was first light for the SV70 as well as my LP filter. The film is still in the camera as I have some frames left to expose. I wish I had time to do more exposures that night because the sky was pretty clear. I could just barely see M31 naked eye without averted vision. Alas some clouds moved in and that put an end to my night. I hope to finish the roll in the next couple of weeks so I should have some images to post soon.

CS, Bob

#3 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:11 PM

Hey good to hear from you Bob. Sounds like you have been struggling along with the rest of us to get some good frames in. Hope that M45 shot turns out for you. What film did you use, and the f ratio of the scope?

I'm going to keep tabs on Hartley as well, but if you hear of it growning tail, etc, chime in. I can't think of a sweeter combination, comet and the Double Cluster.

I'm hoping enough film guys will take a whack at this object, and hopefully some will have clear weather to be able to post some shots. Different lenses, and or scopes, formats, would make for an interesting thread.

Good hunting to us all.

igor

#4 calder

calder

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:41 PM

The SV70ED is a 420mm fl. F/6 scope. The film is a roll of E200 pushed to 320. I got off to a good start this year with a bunch of shots taken in April and May but then my mount started acting up and the secondary on my C9.25 came loose in the corrector plate. In June I had to move my 94 year young father into a nursing home and that took a lot out of me and my time spent observing. The 7th of Sept was the first time I was able to get out since May and that was more of a maintenance session than anything else. I also found out last May that my local Ritz camera store closed and now I have to drive approx. an hour to get to the nearest camera store. I did get a new mount last week (Orion Sirius EQ-G with GPS & extra counterweight with ADM dual replacement saddle). After I get a chance to use it in the field I'll give a report in the mounts forum. My initial impressions of this mount are good. I'll be putting the mount through its paces at the new observing site I'm trying this week. On my shots list, I would like to get images of Jupiter and Uranus in the same frame as well as comet Hartley. I'm also hoping it's clear for the next dark period.

It's been a summer of changes but things are starting to settle down now and I expect to get out imaging more.

Clear Skies,
Bob

#5 Rick Thurmond

Rick Thurmond

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:50 PM

I'll take a look at it tonight, and maybe a photo on Acros. Thanks for the heads up.
Rick

#6 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:40 PM

I was thinking of you Rick, and a frame with Acros. Should be perfect for the comet. Shoot, develop, scan - post. Hope this fires everyone else up as well.

igor

#7 Rick Thurmond

Rick Thurmond

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:35 PM

the pressure is unbearable...

#8 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:07 PM

Bob, sounds like you have a good combination there. Looking forward to your results. We always seem to have our rough patches, and hopefully you are thru it. I wish your father well.

I had an EQ6 as well, and frankly, it was a very good mount. I spent one night - broken clouds moved in, drift aligning it, and once that was done, got the polar scope dialed in perfectly. I could spin the RA axis around and Polaris stayed on the line. This saved me time during set up, and I could get an accurate drift done inside 45 minutes to where I could use the 400 lens. The ST-4 guider simply plugged in and worked. The only reason I sold it - under mounted for the Tec.

It's fine mount. Get to know it - tighten up the gear mesh a bit, and it won't let you down with the performance.

igor

#9 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:45 AM

They are tracking the progress of Hartley quite well in a thread if the forum -
Planetary and Solar System. Beginning of October it should be near the Pac Man Nebula.

No pressure Rick - if anyone can do it - how bout now - well? I know you will be the first to post Hartley in the film forum. I'm too cheap to pull a roll with 9 shots remaining.

igor

#10 Rick Thurmond

Rick Thurmond

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:42 PM

Ha! sheet film wins over roll film:
http://www.rickthurm...Sept26Acros.jpg
This was a fifteen minute exposure on Acros from Sunday night. I'm surprised how much the comet moved in 15 minutes. This was through my C14 with about 2400 mm focal length.

I suppose as the comet gets brighter, one could take shorter exposures, though its angular velocity will continue to increase, right? I hope to shoot it Sept 9 when it is near the double cluster and the heart and soul nebulae, using my 150mm lens on a Rollei. Hopefully then it will have a tail and some color. I plan to use Ektar 100 for that.
Rick

#11 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:07 PM

Just getting back to the forum here. Wow, you guys are getting busy, planning and imaging the new comet. Skies will be darkening soon and I hope to catch it as well. Actually I should have it in some of my wide field shots from last month. I have to get anther couple rolls exposed before I send out.

Great shot Rick. That sucker is moving along pretty quick. As it gets brighter it will be getting my attention.

#12 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:32 PM

I knew that was going to happen. Well done Rick. That thing moves faster than the field rotation in my mount. Ektar sounds like a good choice for it in Oct. Should give some nice star colours as well.

igor

#13 Rick Thurmond

Rick Thurmond

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:46 PM

Thanks, Igor, it was fun to shoot it. Hopefully now it will put on a nice show.

#14 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:03 PM

I'm just sorting thru my 35-mm slides I shot a few years ago. Captured that comet that was in Perseus that brightened suddenly - the name escapes me.

I was trying to imagine what something like that would look like going thru the Double Cluster? Waiting on my films to arrive from processing. I hope to have something to post of that object and others.

igor

#15 Rick Thurmond

Rick Thurmond

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:04 PM

In 15 minutes, it moved 4.5 seconds in RA and 23.9 arcseconds in declination. I'm not sure how to combine those two numbers to figure out how far it actually moved in arcseconds.
Rick

#16 calder

calder

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:01 AM

Hi Rick,

Nice catch you have there. If that was shot at a 2400mm fl., it is going to be a challenge to visually guide on because of the corrections in both RA and Dec. If I figure correctly, based on your numbers, the comet moved approx 24.38 arc seconds in the 15 min. that the exposure took. I can't wait to see your Ektar shots!

CS,
Bob

#17 Michal1

Michal1

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:08 PM

Nice shot Rick! Can I ask what are the brigth spots at the top right and left corners of the frame? For determining the length of movement I'd identify a pair of stars in the frame, measure their angular distance in a computer planetarium (e.g. Cartes du Ciel allows it) and compare it with comet trail length. Distances in the image can be measured by counting the pixels or with a ruler touched to your screen.

I'm going to shoot the comet if weather and time allow. I hope to capture it's journey between stars during the whole October. Unfortunatelly there can be easily overcast for several weeks in this part of year.

More experienced shooters, what exposure would you expect to be best for the comet? I've noticed all the good film exposures of the comet Holmes I've found on net were pushed.

M.

#18 Rick Thurmond

Rick Thurmond

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:43 PM

I'm not sure which bright spots you mean. There are some smudges, which are more likely terrestrial than astronomical e.g. fingerprints on my scanner. I can't match up the pattern in the stars in my photograph to what I see in Voyager 4.5, though that's where I got the coordinates I sent my telescope to: R.A. 0h 10m, Dec 52* 57'. Strange. I'm able to line it up in AstroImageBrowser.
Rick

#19 Michal1

Michal1

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:07 PM

OK, another possibility is to employ the plate scale equation for obtaining the width of the film frame in arcsecs. I tried to compute the movement length from the numbers you wrote, too. The number I get is very close to the calder's result.

M.

#20 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:48 PM

My math is bad, just not a numbers man. The speed of Harley posses an issue. I've seen images with a nice comet and blurred stars, and vice versa. My G11 mount does have comet tracking ability, but I need to give accurate co-ordinates over a period of time to allow Gemini to do the calulations.

I'm thinking I will shoot sidereal rate, and let the comet blur it's way across the frame. Unless it suddenly goes bazinga like Holmes did. Wouldn't that be nice?

igor

#21 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:42 PM

Rick, I'm passing on Hartley. I've seen some digital captures from a guy with a big Tec 200 - it's just a streak of light. Yawn. I would rather spend my precious time on other targets. Meteors look better than Hartley.

igor

#22 Rick Thurmond

Rick Thurmond

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:45 PM

I took some shots last night with a 150 mm lens on my Rollei. 1, 2, 4, and 8 minutes at f/4 on Ektar 100 color negative film. It will be a while before I can get that film developed. I had the camera on my mount, but it was unguided. I'm not expecting much, this was more of a film test.
Rick

#23 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:15 PM

Rick, I've done star trails with Ektar, and Jim did an exposure with promissing results. Are you hypering the Ektar? Should be interesting results and looking forward to them.

igor

#24 Rick Thurmond

Rick Thurmond

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:39 PM

Igor,
I didn't hyper the Ektar for this shot. I want to see how this film does unhypered. Does anyone remember any general guidelines for hypering color negative film? I have a 50 deg thermostat on my hypering chamber and I seem to remember some films require 30. At least I can use sheet film instead of roll film for my experiments, so I can try one sheet at a time.

#25 Dave Kodama

Dave Kodama

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:55 PM

Rick,

This document by Don Westergren will give you some hints for starting points for hypering color negative film:

http://home.nethere....tData122004.pdf

Dave

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics