•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion Mak 102

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#26 Jim Easterbrook

Jim Easterbrook

Viking 1

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:01 PM

As a first step, I'd suggest getting a Barlow to double your magnification. Then consider getting an 18mm EP to fill in the gap between 26mm and 13mm (26mm with Barlow). This will also give you (with the Barlow) 9mm which, at 140x, is approaching the sensible magnification limit for a 90mm scope.

For finding DSOs I think you are better off with a good finderscope, or a pair of binoculars. You'll never get very good widefield performance from a small Mak.

PS Welcome to CloudyNights. I've not been here long, but I think I've learnt a lot. I've certainly learnt how little I know, so treat my advice with caution!

#27 Ken603a

Ken603a

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:08 AM

I took both my scopes out last night and "compared" the view. Both the hour glass and trifid nebula could be seen using the 25mm eyepiece and a lumicon 0||| filter. I starhopped around the top and side of Sagitarius. The viewing was the best I have seen from my yard in a long time. It wasnt too hard to locate M21, M22, SAO 209411. I could see M22 with the binoculars! Both scopes get a thumbs up on these objects, and I can only say that I had the best viewing night last night. Comparing the scopes was fun. The 6" dob lent more detail to Trifid, though I had no trouble making out in either scope. I wish now I had looked for the Eagle nebula, but I completely used up 2 hours of bedtime already and figured since I have to work today, I should call it a night (hard to do). I love both my scopes and I love clear skys!

PS: The lumicon o||| really works! And another interesting note- I stacked my SkyGlow with it, and that seemed to bring out even more detail.

#28 ianknight

ianknight

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 July 2005 - 06:44 AM

Hi,

Have you considered using the Orion EZ II Reflex (red dot) finder with the MAK ? It slots neatly into the existing dovetail bracket. I use this with my scope and it has made locating objects a breeze !

I am also considering the Mak 102 for lunar and planetary work. My trusty ST80 does not quite cut it at higher magnifications.

#29 Ken603a

Ken603a

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 July 2005 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have a right angle view 6X30 finder. Since I am over 6 feet tall, It is easier for me to point the scope in the general direction and star hop using the finder. I have also used a 3/8 dowl rod that I place on the barrel of the scope to point it to pinpoint locations. I have even used rubber bands to hold it in place while I view through the scope. Neat and cheap way to line up a star.

If I see one of your finders at a star party I will try it out.

Fun skies!

#30 Ken603a

Ken603a

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:49 PM

My initial purchase of a telesope was to learn the skys. I like knowing what is up there. I love nebulas, and planets and open clusters.

It has become clear to me that I can find almost every object I want to find with my scopes... just looking toward the south this time of year makes for some awsome views of clusters and nebulas. Adding a 9 X 50 finder to my six incher, is like having two full scopes in one! For "tracking" The MAK 102 is fun to set on an object and follow using the RA motor.

The only reason I would need a bigger scope is to see galaxy details instead of faint fuzy smudges in space... but for less than a $1000.00 I have two really nice scopes with RA finders, all the eyepieces I want, maps and software, and instant gratification! The rewards of using my small scopes certainly was worth the money I paid. I will never have buyers remorse for these!

#31 chalker

chalker

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 September 2005 - 05:25 PM

Hi everyone, first post here, after alot of browsing!

I am looking at the Orion/Apex 127, and after reading great reviews of this MAK, I have a question ( 2 actually ). I noticed that some prefer a photo-style tripod ( the Paragon Plus XHD ), while others use the EQ-3 that the comes with the Orion package.

If the scope is to be used for terrestrial and lunar, which is prefered of the 2 mounts?

Second question if I may, I have a Canon A75 and was wondering if anyone has any experience using the Canon T-adapter with this scope? I believe the adapter is a LA-DC52C.

Thanks for any input!

#32 scupking

scupking

Mariner 2

Posted 18 September 2005 - 06:59 PM

I have the Paragon Plus XHD and I also just bought the EQ-3. Now for Terrestrial views the Paragon XHD is good but for anything other then that it will disappoint, the 127 is just too much for it. The EQ-3 works very well with the 127 and is a very sturdy mount. I have an Orion ST80 paired up with the paragon plus XHD and this setup works very well. As for the camera I also have a Canon A75 but I do not have the adapter, you can get the adapter from http://www.scopetronix.com/ good luck with your purchase, you will love the 127.

#33 chalker

chalker

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 September 2005 - 07:21 PM

Thanks for the quick reply and the encouragement! I will probably go for the EQ-3 on purchase, and see if I can find a solid photo mount later. Thanks for the link on the adapter, nice to see some options on what's available.

I have done some lunar pictures holding the camera to the eyepiece of my binoculars, ( sort of a where's a third hand when you need one act, :help: ) and they were not too bad. Can't wait to get the scope!

#34 Ken603a

Ken603a

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:40 AM

Let us know what you think of your new MAK 127 after you have had a chance to try it out!

#35 Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 September 2005 - 06:15 AM

Hello!
I'm trying to decide wheter to buy the 102mm or the 90mm version.

My mount can load up to 4Kg, so the 102mm is light enough.

But I heard the 90mm is much more portable, and cool down faster than the 102mm.

And is cheaper.

One question.
Anyone has seen some stars in M13 with the 102mm?

#36 Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 September 2005 - 06:17 AM

I'm sorry for my english.
I was writing fast, and I noticed some mistakes after.
I'm Italian.

#37 Blair

Blair

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 September 2005 - 09:09 AM

The 102mm is only a pound more and an inch longer so I would go with it especially since its focal length is only 50mm longer than the 90mm version.

Blair

#38 Ken603a

Ken603a

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:57 PM

While the 90 is an awsome little scope, I have to agree with you Blair. The 102 is my all around preference for a portable scope.

#39 Darren B

Darren B

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 October 2005 - 01:11 AM

One question.
Anyone has seen some stars in M13 with the 102mm?

M13 looks like a ball of stars through my 90mm Mak so it be a bit brighter with 102. Best of luck with your purchase.

#40 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 13 October 2005 - 12:20 AM

i have the orion 90 mak and its a great little scope! i have it mounted on a orion equat, 3. i like the 3 because it has a built in leveler. it has a single axes drive motor. like the above said, get a ez2 reflex red dot finder, if you get one you will never go back the a finder scope, these things are a must for finding dso easy. this is a great little setup. don.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics