•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

10x50 orion ultraviews....input please

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Alby

Alby

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:35 PM

Hi all;

Thinking of getting these as a gift for my folks.
They would be used terrestrially and near water, just taking in the sights.
They both wear glasses, is 22mm eye relief enough?
Are there better options in this price range(169USD)?
Any thoughts on these would be appreciated.

Thx

Alby

#2 Alby

Alby

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:56 PM

Hi;
Thought I'd mention that this is a last minute gift idea that I only have 2 days to act on.
Otherwise I would probably order the 10x50 Oberwerks like I would for myself:)

Alby

#3 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

Posted 06 May 2005 - 04:04 PM

I have a pair of these binos, purchased several years ago. They are decent binos, I have used them a lot, and they have served me well. You may check the bino mini review link, however, as EDZ compared them to a couple of other pairs of binoculars and I believe he preferred another brand. It's worth checking out!

#4 lighttrap

lighttrap

Soyuz

Posted 06 May 2005 - 04:54 PM

Alby, do you know if your folks can hold a 2lb 10x50 steady?
I gave my Dad a set of Swift Kestrel 10x50s awhile back, but I think he's reverted to something smaller, and Mom never could use the Kestrels. Depending on how old your folks are, and what physical shape their in, size weight, and magnification levels may need to be adjusted downwards. Just a thought.

#5 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

Posted 06 May 2005 - 04:56 PM

I do recall EdZ' comments about the Orion Ultraview. I think the prefered choice for 10X50 is either the Pentax PCF WP or Nikon Action Extreme right now. Another well informed regular member of our group(Brocknroller) has posted about the Ultraview. You can find it in the mini review section at the top.

Erik D

#6 Alby

Alby

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 May 2005 - 05:32 PM

Thx Erik;
I had a quick look around in the reviews first, I suppose not well enough! I'll check again:)

Lighttrap; you raise some good points which I'll take under advisement.

I don't have the luxury of time so my brand options are limited:(

THX
Alby

#7 edcannon

edcannon

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 May 2005 - 07:16 PM

I believe 22mm eye relief will be very good. I always wear glasses and have had 22mm on two models, and that much eye relief has been very good for me.

If your parents aren't too familiar yet with binoculars, consider Orion Ultraview 8x42 -- lighter weight, larger field of view (so things easier to find).

Maybe consider Nikon Action Extreme 7x35 (as well as 8x40 and 10x50), as they're waterproof, maybe lighter weight, good FOV, similar price. Make sure it's not just plain "Action" but "Action Extreme".

Ed Cannon - Austin, Texas, USA

#8 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 06 May 2005 - 07:28 PM

The 10x50 Ultraview may be advertised as 22mm eyerelief, but it actually measures about 14mm. You cannot see the entire filed in the Ultraviews when wearing glasses.

I've written several reviews of this binocular. The most recent can be found in the CN Reports in the Nikon Action Extreme review.

edz

#9 SaberScorpX

SaberScorpX

Skylab

Posted 06 May 2005 - 10:08 PM

[re: The 10x50 Ultraview may be advertised as 22mm eyerelief, but it actually measures about 14mm.]

I'm suprised to hear that, as Orion touts the 22mm eye relief of the entire UltraView series as a major draw. Do you recall the ER without the eyecups extended?
UV reviews at Excelsis.com also report ample ER from eyeglass wearers.
For me this is academic. I don't wear glasses, but have passed on the UV series for not having roll-back eyeguards to shield peripheral light.
Personally I find the Vista series more appealing (more expensive, very light weight, but less field). I'll be ordering the 8x42s for review soon.

Saber

Ready to tackle the Herschel 400?
http://www.geocities...rpx/SGH400.html

#10 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 07 May 2005 - 06:26 AM

I looked up my data

On the Orion Ultraview 10x50,
the exit pupil image focus is at 18mm, the lens recess is 3mm.
With the cups down the usable eye relief is 15mm
cups extend to 15mm from lens

The Orion Vista 8x42 is worse for eye relief if you wear glasses.
the exit pupil image focus is at 15mm, the lens recess is 4mm.
with the cups down this leaves 11mm of usable eye relief.
cups extend to 12mm from lens.

The Orion Ultraview have two other poorly designed features.
The forward prism protrudes into the light path blocking about 6-7% of the light.
The right diopter is very limited. Even with my glasses on, I barely had enought to correct for my (corrected) vision.

I had a pair (still have) of Orion 10x50 Ultraviews for years before getting a variety of other binoculars. I liked them. the view is bright. But now that I've used them compared to about 10 other binocs, they would not be my choice. Neither would the Vistas.

edz

The Orion Ultraview 10x50 are referenced in these reviews

http://www.cloudynig...=180&pr=2x48x62

http://www.cloudynig...=179&pr=2x48x62

http://www.cloudynig...ments/nikon.pdf

#11 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 May 2005 - 06:47 AM

I have used the 7x50 Vista Saber. You'll like the 8x42 Vistas bins I'm sure. Mine were outstanding for terrestrial viewing.

#12 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 07 May 2005 - 07:53 AM

The 8x42 Vistas that I had were so loose you could not put them to your eyes without loosing focus. Not acceptable, but fixable.

edz

#13 SaberScorpX

SaberScorpX

Skylab

Posted 07 May 2005 - 12:21 PM

Thanks for the input, guys.
I've always been pleased with Orion's solid mechanics, but I'll critique my specimen and let you know.
I've also owned the 8x Outsiders and Scenix and plan on submitting the 3-way comparisons.
In the meantime, maybe the OP could inform us of his decision. What did you end up getting 'em, Alby?

Saber

Ready to tackle the Herschel 400?
http://www.geocities...rpx/SGH400.html

#14 Rich N

Rich N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 May 2005 - 12:47 PM

I have an older Orion 8x42 Ultraview (fold down/pop down rubber eyecups). The resolution in the center of the field and its color rendition is better than my Leica 8x42BN. Not by much but it is better. When you pan the Ultraview you get a big rolling effect that you don't the in the Leica.

Unfortunately, this is an older version of the Ultraview

Rich

#15 Alby

Alby

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 May 2005 - 02:01 PM

Hi all;

Below is a link to what I purchased for my folks. Wish I was keeping them:)
I believe these are fairly new(Pentax PCF WP2 10x50).
They seem quite nice to me.
Gift to be opened tomorrow so I'll have time to play with them then:) Then I won't see them again for 3 months.

Thx to all for your thoughts

Alby

http://www.pentaxcan...wpII_series.php

#16 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 07 May 2005 - 03:19 PM

Of the five or six 10x50 binoculars that I've tested, with the exception of not having the widest field of view and being a little heavier than some, the Pentax PCF WP 10x50 ranked first in nearly every other category. Least reflection off the coatings, best on-axis resolution, best off axis sharpness to the edge, deepest limiting magnitude, nice mechanical operation and feel, sufficient eye relief for glasses, all first. Good choice.

edz

#17 Alby

Alby

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 May 2005 - 04:50 PM

Edz;

Perhaps my folks would be happy with some McDonalds gift certificates instead.....I'm gonna keep these babies!!! lol

Good to read your above post Edz. I now feel I've made a good purchase and my parents ought to be happy!

I'm curious as to the changes made to the WP 2 series from the WP?

THX

Alby

#18 Penarin

Penarin

Vanguard

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:29 AM

Below is a link to what I purchased for my folks. Wish I was keeping them:)
I believe these are fairly new(Pentax PCF WP2 10x50).
They seem quite nice to me.

Good call!

I got mine a few weeks back and love 'em. VERY comfortable to hold, light enough, plenty of ER (even with my glasses on), and the views- land or sky- are great.

There was a post here about how someone found them at Adorama for $130 (50 less than what I paid)... might be time to order another pair for yourself :cool:

#19 Alby

Alby

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2005 - 04:45 PM

Hi;

Got to play with them yesterday for a bit.....OH so cool!
The views(terrestrial) were very revealing(crisp). Great increase in detail over the 7x50s I'm used to. Colors are so vibrant in these!
Solidly built and nice feel. Slightly stiff focus wheel but thats not a complaint, perhaps it'll free up with use?
In recap.......I LOVE EM!!!
I would strongly consider purchasing this model or another Pentax binocular for myself:)

Cheers

Alby

#20 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:13 PM

Alby ,

I'm pleased you have become a happy owner of the Pentax PCF W2 10 x 50.

The range one of VERY few specific models I have ever dared to positively suggest to anyone on Cloudy Nights as being representive of very good value for money.

It's a shame the heading of these posts is still containing the words Orion Ultraviews.

I suspect anyone reading just a few of the posts to this thread could easily be misled into thinking you are so happy about the Orions rather than the PENTAX :-)

Regards , Kenny

#21 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:23 PM

Hi;
.....OH so cool!
The views(terrestrial) were very revealing(crisp). Great increase in detail over the 7x50s I'm used to.
Alby

Are you SURE you prefer the higher power 10X50 binos?? Don't you like the larger 7.1mm exit pupil and less "hand shake" with 7X50s? ;-))

Seriously, Pentax does have a nice selection of mid priced binos....very good value for the money. They seem to be coming out with new models every year... I just picked up another pair this past week:

http://www.adorama.c...UCF R&item_no=2

I'll be taking it instead of my Celestron 8X25 monocular on my next business trip. As KJ says "2 eyes and.........."

Erik D

#22 Alby

Alby

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:01 PM

Hi Eric D;

Indeed I prefered the extra magnification and can deal with the hand shake......at least I hope my folks can:)

I'm so impressed with them that they'll be given as a gift a second time, to my sister and bro-in-law. They'll appriciate them around their family cottage, plenty of Osprey!

HEHE now I just need a pair for myself....maybe next year?

Damm I've gotten addicted to binoculars!

Cheers

Alby

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics