•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Another film shooter

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Kodama

Dave Kodama

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:18 PM

Hello,

I'm another astrophoto film shooter. I'm glad to see an active forum for film users. Thanks to Rick Thurmond for pointing out this active group.

Dave Kodama

#2 d.sireci51

d.sireci51

Arachnoid

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:29 PM

Hi Dave, I'm a film shooter too, [try very hard at it anyway]. But you really need to check out Clownfish [Pete]photo gallery!! Fantastic To put it mildly! :p

#3 Dave Kodama

Dave Kodama

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:49 PM

Holy smokes! Is that a list of your current equipment? I thought I had a lot of scopes!

I'll make a point to check out the gallery you recommend. First I need to figure out how to navigate the Cloudy Nights site. I've only been a very occasional visitor over the years.

Dave

#4 Rick Thurmond

Rick Thurmond

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:04 AM

Welcome, Dave
I monitor both this newsgroup and the Yahoo film astrophotographer's group, and in the past I cross-posted to both, but lately I've been lazy and only posting to this group. I'm not sure what the best policy is, and how many people read both.

Rick

#5 d.sireci51

d.sireci51

Arachnoid

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:24 AM

Hi Dave, Ya! Actually the list is bigger. I've max'd out my Sig. I also Have another; Starfinder 16 Dob, Zhumell 10" Dob, An Orion 120 Skyview EQ4, A Celestron Omni 102R-ota, Another Celestron C5-SCT fork. Too many SLR Camera's/lenses/and EP to list even here! I guess you could call me a collector of sorts? I was up to 22 scopes and recently sold off 4 of them. I love scopes, Astronomy, and astrophotography. Oh ya been at it since '75 too. But alas,all my scopes wont hold a candle to some out here that you'll see!!! :roflmao: D.Sireci

#6 d.sireci51

d.sireci51

Arachnoid

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:39 AM

Oh ya, If you click on the forums page and scoll to the bottom, you'll find the member galleries, ENJOY! Also theres a great bunch of people out here with lots of knowledge in every aspect of Astronomy that you can think of???? :tonofbricks:

D.Sireci

#7 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:18 AM

Welcome to CN Dave. We got a pretty good group here. I appreciate you joining in and adding your work and experience. For those of you not familiar with Dave's work, (never mind his newbie status here at CN) He is an accomplished shooter. I stepped up into medium format wide-field work, in part because of his amazing images.

Again, welcome aboard Dave.

#8 Dave Kodama

Dave Kodama

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:36 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome and extravagant praise. I'm still working on living up to being an "accomplished" shooter, hopefully before I run out of film. I'm particularly interested in the discussions I see in the archives on processing your own color film (I have b/w experience), and want to get into hypering TP. I've done a very little TP, and need to get serious about it as a few years ago I got a Schmidt camera.

It is encouraging to see activity in this area. At my club I'm the only one out of around 700 members still shooting film. In theory one other member still shoots film, but he hasn't been out for a couple of years. Anyone out there actually going out there shooting with someone else? Or are we all loners, at least in terms of media preference?

Thanks again for the welcome!

Dave

#9 Michal1

Michal1

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:31 PM

Welcome to the forum Dave. That's great you've joined. I know your website and like much the pictures on it (link).

I know nobody still shooting film here, in the Czech Republic.

Michal

#10 Dave Kodama

Dave Kodama

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:08 PM

Hello Michal,

That sounds very lonely out there for you! It's a good thing we have the internet.

Are you developing your own film? So far I'm lucky to have a store nearby for color processing but I'm interested in getting started processing my own film.

Dave

#11 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:51 PM

Dave, great to see you here and welcome. This forum is growing, and with additions like yourself, becoming quite the group dedicated to our love of film. Amazing the guests that drop in once in awhile as well to offer encouragement and advice.

I'm also on the verge of developing my own film - E6 & B&W mostly. There are a number of members that do it all, besides Rick. We are spread out all over, unfortunately, so the internet is it for us.

Might be the time to start our own Emulsion Star Parties on a local level? Could we gather a few members near specific zones which could be done over a weekend?

Anyway - glad you are here.

igor

#12 Dave Kodama

Dave Kodama

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:01 PM

"Emulsion Star Party" ... Now that is a concept. I guess if you can figure out what that is, you're qualified to attend.

Seriously, I'd love to see a special conference for film astrophotographers. I still occasionally attend astroimaging conferences so I know what everyone else is up to, but the thought of sitting in yet another session about setting up Maxim 5 and CCD Commander is getting to seem more like work and less like a fun hobby.

Dave

#13 d.sireci51

d.sireci51

Arachnoid

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:57 AM

Indeed Dave, welcome to CN, to the forums, and the film loving group here. I've just checked your website and I must complement you on the fantastic work! You truely are an accomplished shooter. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Clear skies, D.Sireci

#14 Michal1

Michal1

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:55 AM

Hello Michal,

That sounds very lonely out there for you! It's a good thing we have the internet.

Are you developing your own film? So far I'm lucky to have a store nearby for color processing but I'm interested in getting started processing my own film.

Dave

Dave, I let my film developed and scanned. I don't undertake to develop my film myself. When I destroyed the result of my efford and nights awake, I'd get probably mad. I'm the only person in the town shooting 6x7 format. I'll have to bring a bigger amount of films to let it scanned. They will have to completly rebuild their scanning machine. I hope I finish the last roll with the comet Hartley shortly and then I'll get my first MF images.

It's intresting there are no people shooting stars on film. I think film beats the digital almost every time, at least in the widefield work. Are film shooters people with a special kind of taste?

#15 Rick Thurmond

Rick Thurmond

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:32 AM

I used to develop color film, both negative and positive. I have a Jobo film processor, which makes it easy. I think temperature control is very important, and the Jobo takes care of that. I stopped developing color film because there is an excellent professional lab nearby, and I'm not sure I ever had E-6 processing just right. My film came out with a slight purple cast.

I still develop my black and white film, both hypered tech pan and hypered Acros, also in the Jobo.

Dave, do you have equipment for hypering film? What sizes do you plan to hyper? I think I'm the only one left in this group still hypering film. It was a challenge to find hypering gas last time I looked.

Rick

#16 Dave Kodama

Dave Kodama

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:03 PM

Rick,

Yes, I have the equipment (and film) for hypering 35mm, medium format, and 4x5). A few years back when there was a mass exodus from TP to digital, I bought a bunch of used equipment. Now I need to get going and make use of it.

As far as hypering gas is concerned, I was assured that all you need to do is to go to a welding supply place and specify what mix of gas you want. Someone gave me a scuba tank which I guess could be used for that, but I don't have any plans for using that (anyone want it?). So far I have been using gas from the small tank that Lumicon used to sell.

I'm interested in E6 processing at home mainly because my Schmidt camera uses medium format "chips", which are hard to get processed commercially. The real problem I see in doing it at home is that most of the chemicals would probably go bad before I can use them up. I'm guessing I would only process a dozen frames per month on a good month.

So actually, TP might be a better solution for my Schmidt camera. Besides being familiar with b/w processing, it's not such an expensive problem to waste b/w chemicals. I need to start experimenting with hypering times/temps and plan when to hyper before an imaging session, and how to store hypered film for an aborted imaging weekend, etc. Your advice would be very welcome!

I'm also open to suggestions as to how to handle developing small amounts (single frames) of film in the field. Ideally I'd like to be able to develop 1 or 2 frames at my observatory where there is not a big supply of water available.

Dave

#17 Rick Thurmond

Rick Thurmond

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:47 PM

Hi Dave,
I got the gas at Mesa Gas, I'll send you details. I checked with a lot of welding shops around here, but couldn't get what I needed. It could be different in your area, but then again, Mesa Gas is in your area, in Santa Ana.

I've been developing hypered Tech Pan in HC-110 dilution B 12 minutes at 20 degrees C. I have a syringe that lets me measure 7.8 ml of the syrup into 250 ml water to get the right dilution without having to make a working solution first. I got that technique from Robert Reeves, "Wide field astrophotography". I find that I have to hyper the Tech Pan 48 hours at 50 deg C, though that may vary. I've only hypered 4x5 sheet film.

To conserve Tech Pan and to get better sensitivity in the blue-green part of the spectrum I've been hypering Fuji Acros 100 sheet film. That only takes 20-24 hours at 50 degrees C. I develop that in Tmax developer for 8 minutes. Acros isn't sensitive to 656 nm H-alpha light, or else I'd use it for everything. It can probably be used unhypered in your Schmidt camera.

After hypering film, I load it into 4x5 film holders. A few years ago I found some plastic containers that have a gasket that makes them airtight. Tupperware is not airtight. Each of those has a few dessicant packs in it and holds the film holders until I'm ready to use them. I think these containers were made for fishing. I think hypered film in sealed dessicated containers can last from one month to the next, if kept out of the heat.

I hope that helps,
Rick

#18 Dave Kodama

Dave Kodama

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:52 PM

Rick,

Thanks for all the info! That will be very helpful and it's certainly motivating me to get into using TP. How about Acros? Is the primary reason for hypering because of reciprocity failure? How much difference does it make? I should probably do as you are doing to conserve the TP for red exposures.

Dave

#19 Rick Thurmond

Rick Thurmond

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:53 PM

Hi Dave,
Acros is pretty good unhypered. Here's a comparison I made, unhypered on the left and hypered on the right. The subject was the crescent nebula
http://www.rickthurm...crosHypered.jpg
I picked up more nebula and dimmer stars by hypering it, and I needed to do that to make a decent tri-color along with my hypered techpan red exposure. But this was a 1 or 2 hour exposure at f/7. I shot Comet Hartley in 15 minutes with unhypered at f/7. I bet you'd get a lot at f/2 with your Schmidt. It might even be able to use unhypered techpan for brighter objects.
Rick

#20 Dave Kodama

Dave Kodama

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:29 PM

Rick,

Nice comparison. It does seem to benefit from hypering. I'll put it on my list for testing with my setup.

By the way, I noticed in the info you sent me for getting forming gas that the shelf life is stated as 3 years. Have you found that to be the case? I'm wondering if I need to get rid of my old gas and start fresh. I suppose if it has a shelf life, it is because the H2 leaks out.

Dave

#21 Rick Thurmond

Rick Thurmond

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:15 PM

Dave,
I hadn't thought about the hydrogen leaking out, though I've now had it two years with no apparent loss of effectiveness. I had my first bottle from Lumicon for about six years. Can Robert Provin shed any light on the shelf life of forming gas?
Rick

#22 TxStars

TxStars

Vanguard

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:25 AM

Other than the gas leaking out the only problem you could have would be from contaminates coming from a cheap reused storage tank.

99.9%H with separate Nitrogen purge and storage. FTW

#23 hiro

hiro

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:21 AM

Hi Dave,
I found you here for the first time today, and I feel happy. I have been a fan of your widefield images.

#24 Dave Kodama

Dave Kodama

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:48 AM

Hiro,

Thanks for the kind words. I see you have a very impressive collection of shots and that you travel to many different places to do your shooting. I was very interested to see that when you shoot from Hawaii, you go to Mauna Loa instead of Mauna Kea. How did you select that location? One of these days, I hope to go to the island of Hawaii for some imaging, so I'm interested to find out about different spots. Usually I'm on Maui and shooting from Haleakala since my relatives live there.

Dave

#25 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:04 PM

Hiro, we are honoured by your visit to the film forum. Your work is exceptional, and I look forward to your exchanges with the more experienced within this group.

This is very inspirational to me and makes me more determined to strive for better results.

igor

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics