•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

IS LX200-ACF 12" IS RIGHT FOR ME? PLEASE HELP

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
649 replies to this topic

#626 Paula E

Paula E

Non-standard Title

• -----

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:30 PM

Thanks for the battery suggestion Scott K. So you are saying that the Power Supply I have picked out is safe and adequate for all-nighters?

Yeah, it should be OK, especially since you aren't using a dew heater. I needed a dew heater, and those things can use quite a bit of power. Also the newer lx200's run on 12V, while my classic ran on 18v, so I lost some efficiency there as well. If you start trying to run lots of other stuff from it (camera + laptop, for example), I'd suspect you'd need a beefier battery. Even with some accessories I'd think you'd get several hours from your setup, just depending on the outside temp and what you are running. The scope itself is not that much of a power hog.

#627 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:53 PM

Really, $7k on the scope and you want to save $ on the battery?

Think about it.

-Rich

#628 Marwatso

Marwatso

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:15 PM

Really, $7k on the scope and you want to save $ on the battery?

Think about it.

Hey Rich. Who said anything about trying to save money on a battery? I just don't really want to "build my own." Maybe I am imagining it to be harder than it is. I just want something that is safe and will power my scope and a few accessories all night.

I bought a DC power cable instead of the A/C because I was told that this would be safer and less of a drain on the power supply.

Do you have a recommendation other than what Scott has suggested?

#629 Marwatso

Marwatso

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:02 AM

I got a chance to try out the 13mm Ethos. Unfortunately, tonight's skies were wrapped a cellophane of high cirrus clouds.

I took my new eyepiece outside with the top and bottom caps on. I took them off, stuck them in my pocket and carefully put the monster eyepiece in my old diagonal. I dared not tighten the screw to avoid marring the beautiful new steel. I settled instead for holding it with my hand. The Moon and Jupiter were the only thing that had enough light to really penetrate the clouds.

After figuring out where to put my eye (which took a second or two) I got to see the entire half moon in the field of view. I found myself not really able to take the whole image in. I also found it difficult to look around and if I veered away from the center my view would become distorted or difficult to maintain.

Jupiter on the other hand was a completely different story. Because there was no need to look around, I got the sensation of hanging out it space in orbit around the planet. The "spacewalk" sensation is real for sure! Wow! It was also much easier to keep my eye the proper distance with the the smaller object in view.

I will not make a judgement on clarity since tonight's viewing was extremely poor. I look forward to trying the Ethos out on DSO's on my next clear night. I imagine the view is going to be spectacular. I must say though, I am so far unimpressed with looking at the Moon.

A few things I realized I need now that I have tried out a piece of my new setup. My new eyepieces aren't old enough or cheap enough to tuck in my pocket while I am switching between them. It was also a bad idea to put the covers in my pockets. I am now trying to pick tiny pieces of lint out of the eye-cup so it doesn't get on the lens. So, I'm adding an observing table and eyepiece case to the list of needed equipment. Any recommendations?

Mark

#630 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:10 AM

At home, you can run off AC. They make an adapter for that scope.

For portable power, the 22 amp hour battery is the right sort of size. The thing to keep in mind is if you aren't going off the grid early, wait and get a battery just in time- they don't age particularly well. Break out power for separate devices away from the battery driving the scope. If an accessory drains that power supply, you're done for the evening.

-Rich

#631 Marwatso

Marwatso

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:23 AM

At home, you can run off AC. They make an adapter for that scope.

For portable power, the 22 amp hour battery is the right sort of size. The thing to keep in mind is if you aren't going off the grid early, wait and get a battery just in time- they don't age particularly well. Break out power for separate devices away from the battery driving the scope. If an accessory drains that power supply, you're done for the evening.

Ok, for some reason I got it in my head that the AC adapter was a bad thing. I can run an extension cord into my basement and power everything all night. There is no danger right?

I will wait until I am ready to go to a Dark Site to purchase my power supply as you suggest. It will probably be a couple months after I get my scope before I go anywhere with it.

Also, I am getting some brief clear spots in the clouds tonight. I just took in M42 with the 13mm Ethos... absolutely incredible! I've got cirrus clouds scattering moonlight everywhere, and that was by far the best view of that nebula I have ever had.

Mark

#632 Paula E

Paula E

Non-standard Title

• -----

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:41 AM

Ok, for some reason I got it in my head that the AC adapter was a bad thing. I can run an extension cord into my basement and power everything all night. There is no danger right?

Yeah, that will be fine. It is what I'd do.

There are many available DC 12v power supplies. It's better if you get one that's regulated. I haven't looked at the Meade supply - it may well be regulated, a 12v power supply is one of the most common voltages out there, well that and 5v. It's also possible that regulation doesn't matter - the Meade circuit board could have a voltage regulator on it. (Someone with a more recent scope could answer that, sorry I don't actually know.)

On the older classic scopes, running them on a battery used to be problematical, because the 12v -> 18v converter tended to slag itself if the battery voltage dropped too low. This isn't an issue with the newer scopes.

#633 snowdragonusa

snowdragonusa

Apollo

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:16 AM

I don't think Meade put a power regulator on the board. I think I remember hearing that in a post from long ago.
Running the AC from a battery is a horrible loss of efficiency so only use the DC with the battery pack when you get it. I have run my scope all night (just the scope) on that battery pack. But the suggestions of a deep cycle marine are sound.

When at home I run my scope off of the house AC. Everything has been just fine. I do use a surge protector as well. I also keep the power strip and plugs covered inside a 12x9x5 rubber made container with some holes in the side for the lines to go in and out. It just makes me feel better with dew or snow.

Don't worry about the moon man :) It will look amazing through the 13mm and the 12"... you'll be diving into craters :woohoo:

#634 Marwatso

Marwatso

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:20 AM

Thanks Adam and Scott. I ordered an A/C adapter.

I will pickup a surge protector and a rubber container as well.

I am also going to order the Meade piggyback bracket for my Olympus.

Thanks for the help!

Don't worry about the moon man It will look amazing through the 13mm and the 12"... you'll be diving into craters

I had no concerns once I looked at M42 at 100 degrees. WOW. The Ethos has delivered!

#635 Marwatso

Marwatso

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:27 PM

Hey everyone,

So, I am looking at my Ethos 13mm inside this morning. I can now see about 10-15 little white specs on the top of the lens. I thought to myself, UGH! What is wrong with my new expensive eyepiece?

I contacted the dealer who in turn contacted Tele Vue. I talked with David there this morning. He acted like the eyepiece might have been demoed before it was sent to me. He also acted like this was no big deal since the eyepiece coatings are very resilient and that I could probably just clean any spots off.

Cleaning expensive eyepieces sounds like a bad idea for me to be in charge of. :) He repeatedly told me the procedure (warm breath, q-tip, acetone), but could not instill the confidence in me to carry it out. I tried cleaning my old 1.25" eyepieces long ago and in my opinion I ruined the coatings. They still perform great but look like they went through a war on top.

I suggested to David that Tele Vue put a video on their web site to literally show people how to clean the lens. He was saying things like "use the right technique." Which had me thinking, "What if my technique is terrible?" :)

Anyway, he said that he would get to work on making a video for the Tele Vue web site and that I could credit our conversation for making it happen. Pretty cool. :)

So what do you guys think? Do I have the new eyepiece jitters?

Thanks for any input.

Mark

#636 Paula E

Paula E

Non-standard Title

• -----

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:59 PM

If you have a lens brush, try gently dusting off your lens. You could easily have put the specs there yourself when you used the eyepiece.

Other than that, I'd be inclined to leave this alone unless the spots are seriously bad.

I doubt you ruined the coatings on your other eyepiece - what's more likely is that while cleaning it, you smeared other stuff onto the lens so you actually made it dirtier. There are all kinds of residues from soaps, oils, etc. that will do this. (For example, if you use facial tissue to clean the lens, many of them have moisturizer in them. Guess what that does to your optics?)

In general, my advice about cleaning optics is this:
"If you think you need to clean your optics - YOU DON'T NEED TO CLEAN IT YET!"

I clean the interior of my observatory far more frequently than I clean the optics therein.

You won't destroy your eyepiece if you clean it, but other than dusting it off (and I wouldn't even do this unless the specs are pretty big), I wouldn't mess with it if it were me. If there's something opaque deposited pretty firmly on the lens, that's a different story. Not trying to scare you off - the televue coatings really are pretty tough - but just trying to tell you that laziness is almost always actually the correct choice when it comes to cleaning glass.

#637 Jared

Jared

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:21 PM

Eyepieces quickly collect schmutz on them during real use--the specks may have been there when you received the eyepiece, or you could easily have added them during even a single use.

In any event, don't stress about it. I would go ahead and follow David's advice on cleaning them. The acetone will even act as a mild static barrier to keep dust off the lens. One thing to watch out for with acetone and optics... While it won't hurt the optical coatings, it will dissolve paint. If your cell is painted rather than anodized you should probably stay away from acetone.

#638 Marwatso

Marwatso

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for the input Scott and Jared.

I noticed the spots before I tried the piece out.

I tend to side with Scott, that unless there's a big chunk o' mud on the lens, leave it alone!

I don't know if I am making a big deal out of nothing. The dealer has given RMA from Tele Vue. Looks like I might have to pay shipping back to Tele Vue. The dealer will send me a new piece but wants to inspect it first. I am afraid they will put a big thumb print on it for me just for spite. Or get a little tiny spec on it, to which I will say, "nay! imperfection spotted!" :)

Hrmmm. I realize that I am going to get specs and spots on these lenses eventually. I just wanted to start out with a clean surface and then ruin it in my own timely manner. ;)

I'm probably just wasting everyone's time.

Thanks for the help,

Mark

#639 LcJ

LcJ

Ranger 4

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:35 PM

Mark, you might want to consider ROR for cleaning your lens. http://www.ror.net/product/order/ It was recommended to me and it seems to do the job and is safe. ROR stands for Residual Oil Removal. I am sure someone will chime in if this isn't worth telling you about.

Still enjoying this thread even if I have little to contribute.

For lengthy outings with the scope you might also want to consider a very small generator for nothing more than keeping your batteries charged.

#640 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:21 PM

If you're going to go and get a dealer to issue a return authorization over some dust on an eyepiece, what are you going to do if you have any real issues?

If you can't learn how to clean eyepieces correctly, get them out of your possession. The Human eye sheds stuff constantly. Eyepieces get dirty. But these eyepieces are like getting a Ferrari to learn to drive a stick shift. If you can't handle these, what's about to show up is even more so. If you aren't gifted with a fine touch with your hands, this is going to be difficult. If you aren't mechanically inclined, this is really going to be no fun. You've just seen a preview of the place you're stepping into.

-Rich

#641 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:34 PM

Way back when I used to do a lot of public stagazes I used to spend quite a bit of time cleaning make-up off of my best eyepieces. Ack!

#642 Marwatso

Marwatso

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:42 PM

If you're going to go and get a dealer to issue a return authorization over some dust on an eyepiece, what are you going to do if you have any real issues?

If you can't learn how to clean eyepieces correctly, get them out of your possession. The Human eye sheds stuff constantly. Eyepieces get dirty. But these eyepieces are like getting a Ferrari to learn to drive a stick shift. If you can't handle these, what's about to show up is even more so. If you aren't gifted with a fine touch with your hands, this is going to be difficult. If you aren't mechanically inclined, this is really going to be no fun. You've just seen a preview of the place you're stepping into.

Another "feel good","go get 'em" post from my biggest supporter. :)

It's not dust on the lens. I talked in detail with David at Tele Vue about it. It is a residue of some kind. It should not be there on a new lens.

I know I am going to have to clean lenses. I would just rather have them come new to me first.

The dealer has been exemplary and Tele Vue has made everything a breeze. I'll get my new one next week at no cost to me.

Mark

#643 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:16 PM

To have something like an Ethos show up damaged is indeed extraordinary. You need to post photos in case anyone else has seen this.

-Rich

#644 Paula E

Paula E

Non-standard Title

• -----

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:17 AM

It's not dust on the lens. I talked in detail with David at Tele Vue about it. It is a residue of some kind. It should not be there on a new lens.

I didn't realize this was the case, sorry Mark. Your initial description just sounded like dust.

#645 Marwatso

Marwatso

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:03 AM

To have something like an Ethos show up damaged is indeed extraordinary. You need to post photos in case anyone else has seen this.

Sorry, I mailed it back to Tele Vue today.

It wasn't something you would notice right away. I had to hold it under a lamp to see it.

I didn't realize this was the case, sorry Mark. Your initial description just sounded like dust.

Nothing to be sorry about! Everything is getting corrected. It only took a trip to UPS and a couple of phone calls. I gave David my number and I hope to hear if the piece just needed a simple cleaning or if it was something else.

If he contacts me I will post about it here.

Also, I found out that Tele Vue boxes do not come taped up in any way. This includes the bags around the pieces. Also, it is nothing of note (according to David) that my Panoptic had a red sticker on the bag.

I was told by another vendor that Tele Vue does not allow refurbished versions of their product on the market. They do some kind of yearly "blem" sale. Anyone heard of that? I guess that Ethos will end up there.

Mark

#646 Muffin Research

Muffin Research

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:34 AM

It wasn't something you would notice right away. I had to hold it under a lamp to see it.

Well the first thing you should do when that LX200 arrives is take a flashlight and ..... :grin:

#647 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:05 AM

I think Mark should be capable of distinguishing between dust and some could of residue on the lense. I think if I paid $700 for an eyepiece, I'd expect it to be nearly perfect too, and without even any dust on it! No one should have to clean a brand new eyepiece like that!! You did right to send it back Mark. And yes, TV has a yearly blem sale, at NEAF if I'm not mistaken.

Patrick

#648 gillmj24

gillmj24

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:17 AM

If he contacts me I will post about it here.

Get permission first.

And this discussion belongs in the eyepiece forum -- I think this thread has run its course and doesn't need to be on top of the cats and casses forum every few hours. Your original question has been answered by many people many times over and the whole forum shouldn't be devoted to one person's quest.

Think of it this way if you want to document your ethos story wouldn't you want someone else to benefit from it years from now? Chances are they're not going to look for an answer to their eyepiece trouble in this forum and dare I day if they did search here try might not want to read the other 33 pages to find what they're looking for.

Please understand I'm not trying to discourage Mark from posting but hey, why not make a new thread with your recent observing reports with your 8"? Someone might be interested and forgive them if they gave up on this thread long ago. Not everyone is lookig for answers about a 12" a beginner or firsttime sct buyer is going to look for reports about people and their 8".

Respectfully
Joe

#649 LcJ

LcJ

Ranger 4

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:22 AM

I've had a couple of those lens and the only difference I could tell was a stamped mark on t body. Televue has always been helpful. Bought a used lens wtth scratches on eyepiece and after describing the prolem they said I had two options. Use it and enjoy the lens because I would never notice the scratches visually or send it in and for about $100 they could make it like new. The only way I notice te scotches is look at them under a light. But it is good idea to ask if a lens is one of those before you buy as resale is less.

#650 rick rian

rick rian

Seeker of Truth(s)

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:16 AM

IS LX200-ACF 12" IS RIGHT FOR ME? PLEASE HELP

The OP's question seems to have been answered, a thread meandering on and off topic for three months has probably run its course.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics