•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky Voyager is now Sky Safari

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
125 replies to this topic

#1 MrMartin

MrMartin

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:15 PM

Seems like a major new update for the popular astronomy app. I just updated and it is a much smoother experience. Anyone else know anything new about it and what do you think about the changes?

#2 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:56 AM

I just updated also. Feels nicer and has a few new useful features. Love it on my iPad. Can't wait until the SkyFi USB module is available.

#3 jobo

jobo

Lift Off

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:16 AM

Carina tells me release around christmas for wifi usb

#4 ebusinesstutor

ebusinesstutor

Apollo

• -----

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:34 PM

I liked the old name better.

#5 ChipBee

ChipBee

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:12 AM

I liked the old name better also. The new one does not support task/app switching so now there is an 8-10 sec wait till it starts up again. When working at the scope I need to switch between a few apps to really the product.

Do like the planning and other updates hope they fix it
soon!

#6 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:27 PM

Nothing has changed in the new version with respect to task switching. It still appears to be working for us. Are you sure about this?

With respect to the name change, a change was required by Carina Software as part of our agreement with them.

#7 Darren Bly

Darren Bly

Viking 1

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:58 PM

Don't really care about the name change just keep making the software better. This is the best version yet.

#8 Nop

Nop

Vendor (iPushto)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:36 AM

I love the observing lists! And the object description is now a one click action. The best program since astromist.

#9 ChipAtNight

ChipAtNight

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:13 PM

You need to do a iPhone reboot to get it to work after the update. Ha life is good and computer are not. Now my only complaint is that when you google Sky Safari you get to many none app returns.

Keep up the good work.

#10 kaubhai

kaubhai

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:39 PM

"Email Observing List" feature seems to be broken. It sends only an empty email. No contents or no attachments related to the observation list. (Details: iPhone 3GS, iOS 4.1, Full version of Sky Safari).

OR Do i need to change some settings in the software for this to work. Doesn't seem to be.

Else, the new update is nice. The interface and rendering is crisp. Thanks. I love this software..

#11 peter k

peter k

Ranger 4

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:12 PM

I just updated to SkySafari on my 1st generation Touch running OS 3.1.3 Faster, smoother graphics, but the Info function doesn't seem to work. I select, for example, Izar on the chart screen and press Info, and see "Not Found No detailed data could be found for 'Izar'." I've powered the Touch off and on a couple of times to no avail.

#12 peter k

peter k

Ranger 4

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:10 AM

Milky Way does not display properly either.

#13 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:19 AM

There were a couple of problems with 2.0 SkySafari on 1st generation touches and iPhones. We have submitted a new version to Apple and hopefully it will be available in a few days. Thank you for your patience

#14 Charles B.

Charles B.

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:50 AM

I upgraded my Sky voyager to SkySafari on my 3G iPhone running IOS 4.1. Although it was faster and smoother than the old version I didn't really get a chance to test it since my 3G gave up the ghost a day later (NOT related to the update!). Now I have a shiny new 4G iPhone and SkySafari is quite amazing on it. Nothing like a forced hardware upgrade to make new software run better. :)

#15 peter k

peter k

Ranger 4

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:12 PM

There were a couple of problems with 2.0 SkySafari on 1st generation touches and iPhones. We have submitted a new version to Apple and hopefully it will be available in a few days. Thank you for your patience

I'm sure it'll be well worth a short wait, as the last version of SkyVoyager was my favorite astronomy application on any platform. Also, good to see Southern Stars re-emerge after the Carina merger. SkyChart was always a great bargain, and had some useful features I've not seen elsewhere.

And while I'm on the subject of old, well-loved software, I did a lot of my dissertation on WriteNow back in the late '80s. Much thanks for that, Bill.

#16 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:19 PM

Buggy as heck on my 4th Gen iPod Touch. All seemed fine at first, then today the screen started flickering as if the app though I was flick-zooming then pinch-reducing rapidly in succession.

It's a real bummer too, since I also invested in Sky-Fi and the cable for my CGE mount. I used the app for several days without incident, then all of a sudden, after I set the limiting magnitude for DSOs to 12.5, this flickering bug kicked in. A reset to default settings didn't fix the issue.

I'm debating returning the Sky-Fi at this point. It's worthless without a functional app.

- Jim

#17 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:51 AM

Jim,

A 2.0.1 release should be available on the App Store in a day or so. Hopefully it will take care of your problems. If not please contact us via email or phone so we can figure out what is happening. This is not the norm for other users.

In the meantime, try restarting the app. This means actually getting into the task manager and killing it. Just hitting the Home button does not quite the app. It sound like the app has gotten into some strange state.

#18 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for the note.

I did an app reset *and* and iPod Touch reset, and things are back stable. I'll experiment a bit to see if I can figure out which feature in Sky Safari I tweaked to trigger the glitch, and PM you if I do. I will also download the patch when available.

I really like the app when it's running properly. It is the best of the best of the astronomy apps I have.

Also, I actually liked the old name, but also completely understand the logic of the new. The MacOS/iOS native browser is called "Safari". Sky Safari is to the sky as Safari is to the internet. Clever, really.

Regards,

Jim

#19 Astraforce Paul

Astraforce Paul

Vanguard

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:48 PM

Or, "Safari" may raise Jobs's or Apple's lawyers' ire!

#20 Astraforce Paul

Astraforce Paul

Vanguard

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:31 PM

Just tried the upgrade. Had a few observations and questions.

1. Much appreciate the ability to display gobs of DSO in a wide fov!

That's a great addition and makes Sky Safari unique.

2. It seems slower to load now--or is that my imagination?

Maybe the screen did something before on opening to indicate it was loading. Several times now I've thought Sky Safari had frozen!

3. I'd recommend that the upgrades in the future preserve a user's location!

I didn't know what was going on. Each time I launched it, it kept asking me "Do you want to use location services?".

I was bracing myself for the "fun" of refinding my latitude and longitude and tapping that in! :) Fortunately, I live near a city that's included, so that was a piece of cake-- good feature, a city location list.

4. Is there a way to turn off the sounds?

Now when you tap on an object, there's a click.

5. Was really glad to see that there was a way of turning off the video arcade display of numbers showing altitude, etc.

I'm sure many like it or ignore it, but it was visually distracting, so the option there is great!

6. Has the type of screen projection changed?

It's much more like being in a house of mirrors than before when I slide my finger across the screen-- and that's not good, especially for someone who has benign positional vertigo! :)

7. Has the object information been dropped?

I hope/trust not. That was one of the big plusses of SkyVoyager, the ability to see those photos and get some descriptive info on the objects.

The web page at http://www.southerns...i/features.html

indicates it's all still there, but I can't find it! :(

"558 Deep Sky Object Descriptions"
"287 Deep Sky Object Images"

I must have missed a setting!

In any event, glad to see all the work that's going into the app.

#21 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:19 PM

Descriptions are still there (running the brand new update/patch).

Select your target on the touch screen. Turn phone so it's in portrait rather than landscape mode. On the bottom you'll see a menu. Select "Info". On the bottom right of the "Info" screen you'll see a "Description" button if further information about the object is available. On the description page you get links to one or more images plus lots of historical information.

Regards,

Jim

#22 WOBentley

WOBentley

Deep Sky Denizen

Posted 30 October 2010 - 01:17 PM

I am in the market for a new phone (my upgrade time is now!) and I am on Verizon. They will have iPhone's soon (Jan-Feb estimate). My question is...since I will now have a choice between Droid and iPhone, is this software available on the Droid platform. I do like some features of the Droid phones better than the iPhone (better, in my estimation, voice commands and the ability to multitask)but in the world of Astronomy apps there really is no comparison. The ability to use my phone with a wireless module for mount contrrol is a big plus for the iPhone if this is not Droid available... Anyone know if it is, or planned to be available?
Thanks
Dave

#23 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 October 2010 - 02:34 PM

There's not much in the way of astronomy software for android yet unfortunately. There's google sky (which is fun, but not particularly useful) and various small utilities. I've not heard of any major astronomy apps being ported, although maybe somebody is porting something.

#24 peter k

peter k

Ranger 4

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:53 AM

The new (2.0.1; 10/27) update works great on my G1 iPod Touch! Lots of nice new features. Object info can be viewed by double-tapping a selected object in either portrait or landscape orientation. The beautiful realistic Milky Way display option fades gradually as you zoom, eventually disappearing altogether when you zoom to less than a ~4* FOV--a very elegant implementation. I also like the new (I think?) ability to display a finder or Telrad FOV even when not connected to a telescope.

#25 WOBentley

WOBentley

Deep Sky Denizen

Posted 31 October 2010 - 06:03 PM

Thanks psonice and peter k. I think this sums up my understanding. Not much yet, but more and more slowly being converted so that a few years from now it may be quite a bit closer between th etwo platforms...just not yet.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics