•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky Voyager is now Sky Safari

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
125 replies to this topic

#26 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 31 October 2010 - 06:20 PM

I think peter k is referring to an ipod touch rather than an android g1? It's confusing :) But if so, he's back on topic and we're off it :D

#27 peter k

peter k

Ranger 4

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:26 PM

Yes, iPod Touch--earlier post edited to make this clearer.

#28 Markovich

Markovich

Viking 1

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:36 PM

The one feature I'd really like to see is a very accurate moon position tool for both Jupiter and Saturn.

#29 Tom Polakis

Tom Polakis

Vanguard

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:46 AM

The one feature I'd really like to see is a very accurate moon position tool for both Jupiter and Saturn.

I've had SkyVoyager, er, Safari at the eyepiece a number of times while viewing moons of Saturn and Jupiter, and the positions are very accurate. What would you like to see improved?

One thing it doesn't show is shadows and eclipses. I go to the laptop and use WinJupos when I want that.

#30 Markovich

Markovich

Viking 1

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:43 AM

I'd like a built in tool and not have to center Jupiter, zoom in.zoom in..zoom in.... I'd like to place an icon on the bottom toolbar for this. I tap it and it takes me to Jupiter ( pick your planet) and have it display the current positions. I'd also like to be able to do typical time modifications ( fast forward, revers, specific time,etc).

#31 Tom Polakis

Tom Polakis

Vanguard

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:02 PM

I'd like a built in tool and not have to center Jupiter, zoom in.zoom in..zoom in.... I'd like to place an icon on the bottom toolbar for this. I tap it and it takes me to Jupiter ( pick your planet) and have it display the current positions. I'd also like to be able to do typical time modifications ( fast forward, revers, specific time,etc).

OK, got ya. Those are very good requests, and I'd also like the software to navigate through space and time better than it currently does. My unsolicited comment in this thread is that Voyager is vastly superior any other planetarium software I have seen in the areas of navigation and interface, so it would be nice if they can stay ahead of the competition the same way for mobile devices.

Tom

#32 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:04 PM

Mark,
Are you aware that there are hot corners in the lower left and right for zooming in and out? They are indicated with +/- while panning. This is much more efficient than pinching to zoom.

More time controls are possible, but the question is always how to incorporate it into the interface. Everyone has their favorite feature that they want quick access to.

You are aware of the Time Flow tool for fast forwarding (and reversing through time, right?

#33 Markovich

Markovich

Viking 1

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:10 PM

Hey Bill,

Yes, Im aware of the hot corners. I just think that the ability to customize my toolbar to give me quick access to this feature would be very helpful.

I must add that I think your app really is a great product. Just a wish list to make it even better.

Thanks!

#34 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:16 PM

Bill,
I didn't know about the hot corners (DOH!).
Thanks for the tip!

#35 Darren Bly

Darren Bly

Viking 1

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:16 PM

Or how about this: In the info for Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus?, and Neptune?, have a "moons" button. The "moons" button would zoom the main screen in to a level that shows all the moons and lock on the planet. We can zoom in and adjust the time after that. It MUST show shadows and the Red Spot.

#36 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:30 PM

Or how about this: In the info for Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus?, and Neptune?, have a "moons" button. The "moons" button would zoom the main screen in to a level that shows all the moons and lock on the planet. We can zoom in and adjust the time after that. It MUST show shadows and the Red Spot.

That's a good suggestion. We could extend it to all objects to zoom in to a level that appropriately frames the object. For planets, this would include their moons.

We hope to have shadow transits and eclipses in a version "real soon now".

#37 Markovich

Markovich

Viking 1

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:31 PM

Yeah, I like that idea too!

#38 GrassyPond

GrassyPond

Messenger

• -----

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:38 AM

I would like to see a small server program to run on the PC connected to the scope so that SkyFi would not be necessary. Also a hardwire USB connection would be nice.
Thanks

#39 dtsmith

dtsmith

Viking 1

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:53 AM

Let me add another vote for moon, shadow transit and GRS support. I've been looking for an app that replicates the functionality of the Jupiter 2 program for the PC without much luck. I really enjoy Voyager/Safari and if those functions could be readily accessible in the app without having to zoom in to the planet every time, it would be a great addition.

#40 BradC

BradC

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:56 PM

Looks like a 3-day sale on both SkySafari and SkySafari Lite!!

http://www.southerns....com/index.html

http://appshopper.co...tion/skyvoyager
http://appshopper.co...cation/skygazer

#41 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:11 PM

Woohoo! \o/

Even better: I appear to have got it for free!! \o/

I'd been thinking of picking this up for a while (quite why I even bother to think about it for the amount the charge I don't know..) so this was a good excuse. I hit the purchase + install button, it started installing.. then popped up a message saying I'd purchased before so it was a free upgrade?!

Well, I don't remember buying it before. Infact I'm 100% certain I've not bought it before. I can only think that maybe it was free at some point ages back when I was deciding which app to buy, so I installed it then, and then bought starmap pro and uninstalled the rest? No complaints anyway, I just wish I'd known earlier so I could have been using it longer ;)

#42 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:40 PM

Quick first impressions:

- Wow, the lack of buttons is a massive improvement over starmap! It's nice and easy to navigate, I see why people like it.

- On the other hand, it's quite a lot slower moving around the map. Is it software rendered? Why? I can see it being painful on the iphone4 if it's software! Cured by a reboot, probably my fault (developing another opengl app on the device). It's actually pretty fast.

- The search screens desperately need a 'sort by magnitude' button, and a way to hide objects that aren't visible. Searching for something new to look at is painful when there's a huge list, half of which you can't see anyway, and 3/4 of the rest are beyond the powers of your scope.

- There's a nasty bug in landscape - the screen seems to jump around every frame, but only part of the image (like the background stays fixed but constellations will move). Cured by a reboot again, and probably my fault. If you get this, restart your phone :)

- The satellite support is cool. It's amazing to zoom out with them turned on - you see a perfect ring of green where they go round the equator! (It gets slow as hell at this point, but hey :) (It's moderately slow after a reboot, but for the amount of stuff on screen with satellites moving around and such, pretty respectable.)

I'd say it's definitely a worthwhile complement to starmap pro for what it costs. If I had to choose one or the other I'd still go for starmap pro, but I'd probably recommend this instead for less technically inclined people :)

#43 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:05 AM

psonic,

That's not a bug we've seen (at least not in 2.0.1). If you can reproduce it, please let us know how.

We use OpenGL for part of the rendering and Quartz for others. I find it reasonably fast overall (about 16 FPS on my iPhone 4). I wonder what might be different about your phone?

#44 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:32 AM

I was able to reliably reproduce that bug last night, but having just given it a reboot and tried again it's working fine. And MUCH faster too - a bit slow when lots of objects are visible and it's zoomed all the way out, but that's to be expected so I'm happy there.

This is probably my own fault actually, I'm writing an opengl app myself and this is my test device - I'd probably screwed up the driver state somehow :)

I'll update that last post.

#45 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:21 AM

Psonic,

Thanks for the update. As you certainly know, just because it was cured by a reboot doesn't necessarily mean it is not our fault (although I hope not). Keep an eye on it.

Bill

#46 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:37 AM

Will do. It's behaving fine now. I really suspect I broke something in openGL though while testing my app last night ;)

#47 Firewood

Firewood

Mariner 2

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:15 AM

Looks like a 3-day sale on both SkySafari and SkySafari Lite!!

Brad, thanks for posting this! I don't even have an iOS device yet (gonna get a Touch this month), but I had to pick SkySafari up at that price. I'd already decided on buying it due to all of the great reviews it's gotten, but the sale made it worthwhile for me to get now.

#48 morceli

morceli

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:45 PM

I noticed on the appshopper site that SkySafari Lite goes to magnitude 8. Does anyone know what magnitude SkySafari and SkySafari with the expansion go to?

#49 Firewood

Firewood

Mariner 2

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:48 PM

From the Southern Stars website:

SkySafari Lite: Magnitude 8.5
SkySafari: Mag. 9.5 (or Mag. 10, depending on the page)
SkySafari w/Expansion pack: Mag. 12

Comparison between SkySafari and SkySafari Lite
Expansion pack info

#50 morceli

morceli

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 November 2010 - 03:59 PM

Cool. This helps. Thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics