•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky Voyager is now Sky Safari

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
125 replies to this topic

#51 Darren Bly

Darren Bly

Viking 1

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:41 AM

Or how about this: In the info for Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus?, and Neptune?, have a "moons" button. The "moons" button would zoom the main screen in to a level that shows all the moons and lock on the planet. We can zoom in and adjust the time after that. It MUST show shadows and the Red Spot.

That's a good suggestion. We could extend it to all objects to zoom in to a level that appropriately frames the object. For planets, this would include their moons.

We hope to have shadow transits and eclipses in a version "real soon now".

Glad I can help. I look forward to seeing that implemented.

#52 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:38 PM

Bill how are you? I LUUUUUUUUUUUV Sky Safari and I am anxiously awaiting the release of the USB Ski-Fi module so that I can use it with my Gen 3 ServoCat but there is one aspect of the program that drives me nuts!!! At the moment I am using it on my iPad as my observation planner. I love how things that are over the horizon (search menu) are highlighted but I would like to know if there is any way to control that? Is there any way to adjust the latitude so that it will only display objects that are over a certain altitude? If there is a way to control this could you please let me know if not would you consider adding it as an option? Thanks and keep up the good work.

#53 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:35 AM

Sergio,

I agree it would be nice to set an altitude limit for what is considered "above the horizon". Tim and I were discussing this earlier this week. Although I can't make any promises, I imagine this feature will make it into a future version.

#54 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:05 AM

Yeah, good move. I know starmap's "tonight" feature only shows objects that are more than a certain amount above the horizon to keep the number down and the quality higher. Having objects in the list that just barely make it above the horizon at midnight isn't all that useful :)

#55 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:51 PM

Thanks Bill :cool:

#56 therocksal

therocksal

Viking 1

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:37 AM

I'm also pretty excited for the Skywire cable. I love Sky Safari on the ipad and as much as I might like Sky Fi, I'd rather have something connecting directly in case of wifi issues.

I will have to scrape some money together for next month.

I played around with the PC Voyager 4.5 for awhile and enjoyed making observing lists...can you do that with Sky Safari? Make an observing list for the night and then once it's night, attach the ipad to my CPC1100 and run through the observing list I made earlier from the scope control area?

OK, I see you can go to your observing list, go to the object info for each and from there hit the GOTO button...so I guess you can do it that way.

It would be cool if there was a way to download an observing list from Voyager into Sky Safari and then use Sky Safari to control the mount...it's just a lot easier using Voyager and making lists from that.

Excellent product.

#57 peter k

peter k

Ranger 4

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:29 PM

Bill, is there any chance that a future update will utilize the gyroscope in the new iPod touch to provide the pointing features that currently rely on the iPhone's compass and accelerometer?

Thanks.

#58 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:30 PM

I haven't really investigated using the gyroscope, but have thought about looking into how it could help. It would seem like it couldn't really replace the compass.

With the gyro, you would have to point it at a known object (say the north star) and then sync the software with the star. After that it could probably keep track of where you are pointing the device.

We are in the final phase of getting the next release out so it won't happen in that version. Maybe a future one.

#59 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:39 PM

Bill: from my (fairly cursory) look at what the gyro can do, I'd say it can't replace what you've already got in there, but it could enhance it a lot. We both know how skittery the accelerometers are (I guess the compass is the same?), the gyro seems a lot more 'accurate', except it loses accuracy over time (so you'd have to keep syncing, not good).

One weakness of sky safari is the tracking speed when panning around though. It's nice and smooth, but slow and laggy. How about you sync the gyro to the compass / accelerometer whenever it gives a stable reading, and use the gyro for tracking while moving around? I'm not sure how well it would work without trying it, but in theory it might give nice snappy results with decent accuracy.

#60 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:23 PM

I'm revisiting the compass/altimeter code before the next release. Hopefully I will find a solution to the jerkiness. Possibly it will involve the gyro, but I bet not.

#61 peter k

peter k

Ranger 4

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:35 AM

I presume the degradation of gyro accuracy over time is due to the fact that the gyro is limited to relative positioning, with no north reference, so small errors would be cumulative over time. I'd be happy to have fairly accurate pointing on an iPod touch, even if it needed to be initially synched to a known position and periodically reset. I think a lot of other touch users would be too.

Meanwhile, looking forward to whatever goodies are coming with the next release.

#62 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:42 AM

Bill, any update on the SkiFi USB version? Thanks.

#63 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:06 PM

We are making good progress on it. Currently we are being held up by some licensing agreements. I can't predict an availability date at this time.

#64 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:33 PM

Thanks for the update Bill.

#65 therocksal

therocksal

Viking 1

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:19 AM

I just got my new Sky FI and can't wait to hook it up and try it...I havent even used my new CPC1100 so I keep buying things for it and I know with the weather I'm doomed for the next 4 months...but it's fun to play with inside!

#66 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:22 PM

Bill:

An office mate just purchased an Ipad as a gift for his father and purchased Sky Safari to go along with it. He showed it to me and I played around with it, it looks very nice and I really like the information on doubles stars...

Anyway, we have been able to figure if it is possible to make it "point" as the targets using the gyros/accelerometers, is there some what to do this?

Thanks

Jon

#67 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:46 PM

Jon,

Yes. By default the option "Shake to Use Compass" is on. This means you need only give the device a good shake to turn it on. Tapping the display disables it again.

In the Settings > Coordinates screen you can turn this Shake option off if you want and enable the compass explicitly with the Use Compass and Use Altimeter options.

You will probably find that it is more accurate when holding the device in Landscape mode. This has nothing to do with our software, but is just how Apple's hardware works.

#68 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:01 PM

Bill:

Thanks for the quick response and the clever solution... I will walk over, tell my coworker I want to see if I can get it to work and then give it a shake...

jon

#69 Armsoft

Armsoft

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:15 PM

Bill
Downloaded tonight to my Ipad
Very Impressed, seems a lot quicker than Distant Suns (my main app software to date) and obviously has better capabilities.
I`ve reserved my SkyWire, any idea when these will be ready to ship to the UK?

Mark

#70 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:44 PM

Mark,

Glad you are enjoying SkySafari. We should have version 2.1 available soon (awaiting Apple's approval). It is about twice the speed of 2.0.1 so I think you will be pleased.

We should be receiving the first shipment of SkyWire this week at our California office. We will start sending them out pretty soon after that. You will need the 2.1 update to work with SkyWire.

#71 Rogerio

Rogerio

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:20 AM

Hi everybody!
I've got the Skysafari 2.01 version + expansion runnig on my iPad and love it! But for some times had problems with the milk way and constelation images, they start to blink and only stops if i reboot the ipad.
had problems also setting time. It doesn't match with the time set in ipad.

#72 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:06 AM

Rogerio,

Please contact me via email to see if we can figure out what is happening.

bill (at) southerstars.com

#73 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:46 PM

Bill et. al.

I have been itching to get a platform to run Sky Safari and I realized my oldest son had upgraded to the iPhone 4 and probably had an older iPhone that was up for grabs. If it all works out, I will soon have an iPhone 3 of some sort...

So, I just want it to run Sky Safari, I already have a phone so I am wondering if there is a reasonable way to put Sky Safari on this phone without activating it??

Jon

#74 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:57 PM

Jon,

I think the phone needs to be activated for iTunes to allow anything to be installed on it. However, my understanding is that you can just borrow a SIM card to activate it and then take it out. The phone will then behave like an iPod touch (no phone capabilities).

I'm in a similar situation. I've recently bought an older iPhone 3G without a SIM for testing. In a couple of days I'll be borrowing a SIM to activate it.

#75 taylor910

taylor910

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:35 PM

Ok so I have my Skywire...but I can't use it!! Any word on the 2.1 update?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics