•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky Voyager is now Sky Safari

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
125 replies to this topic

#76 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:45 PM

Sorry about the delay on the 2.1 update. We are at Apple's mercy here. The certification of the SkyWire communication in the software is what is holding it up. The Apple engineer there that was working on certifying it was killed in an accident about 10 days ago and this (understandably) has thrown a wrench into the schedule. We still expect approval any day now.

#77 taylor910

taylor910

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:26 AM

My god, that is terrible. I will definitely wait more patiently knowing the circumstances. Thanks Bill.

#78 BradC

BradC

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:41 PM

I haven't really investigated using the gyroscope, but have thought about looking into how it could help. It would seem like it couldn't really replace the compass.

With the gyro, you would have to point it at a known object (say the north star) and then sync the software with the star. After that it could probably keep track of where you are pointing the device.

We are in the final phase of getting the next release out so it won't happen in that version. Maybe a future one.

Please consider adding support for the Gyro to smooth the tracking. Its a big enough deal to me that I've stopped using SkySafari or any other app that doesn't yet support the Gyro (see my separate thread here).

Regarding accuracy, I'd assume you'd probably stick with your current methods (compass?) for determining absolute direction on first launch, but then use gyro data for smooth, accurate tracking after that. I wouldn't think you would need to calibrate every time you launch the app.

Star Walk has a very easy "calibrate" feature that lets you drag the screen until the on-screen image matches the position of objects shown by the rear camera. Pocket Universe (the only other astronomy app I've found that supports the Gyro) also can be calibrated, but its much more confusing, and I haven't totally figured it out yet.

#79 Bamaboy

Bamaboy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:21 PM

Does anyone know if there is a way to show the ecliptic in SkySafari? StarWalk shows it as a dashed line which is pretty cool IMHO.

#80 peter k

peter k

Ranger 4

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:36 PM

Sky Safari can show ecliptic, celestial equator, galactic equator, and meridian. They display as different colored solid lines.

#81 Bamaboy

Bamaboy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:48 PM

Sounds cool! But are those features only available in the full version? I have SkySafari Lite and I can't find any way in the Settings to turn those on.

#82 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:06 PM

Yes, those features are only available in the full version.

#83 Bamaboy

Bamaboy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:02 PM

Ah okay thanks! It seems like a great program so I'll probably just go ahead and get the pro version.

Next question: Can I "upgrade" from the Lite version, or do I simply download the Pro version and then delete the Lite version off the iPad? Or keep both?

#84 Bamaboy

Bamaboy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:18 PM

Okay one more question. Is there a FULL list of the differences between the Pro version and the Lite version somewhere? I looked at the Southern Stars website and the only LISTED differences between the two seem to be the much larger database, and the GoTo telescope control functionality (which I don't need). But obviously there are other un-documented differences like the lines for the ecliptic, celestial equator, galactic equator, etc. Since I won't need the telescope control and the larger database would probably be overkill anyway, knowing what other undocumented features I'd be gaining might help me justify spending another 15 bucks. :)

#85 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:49 AM

Ah okay thanks! It seems like a great program so I'll probably just go ahead and get the pro version.

Next question: Can I "upgrade" from the Lite version, or do I simply download the Pro version and then delete the Lite version off the iPad? Or keep both?

You can keep them both installed at the same time. They don't interfere with each other.

#86 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:50 AM

You can keep them both installed at the same time. They don't interfere with each other.

#87 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:53 AM

There is a list of differences here:

SkySafari Lite Features (scroll half-way down).

One thing that is not listed, but is important to most amateur observers, is that SkySafari has the ability to create custom observing lists.

#88 Bamaboy

Bamaboy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:13 AM

Thanks for the info Bill!

#89 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:29 AM

Hi Bill, sorry to be such a pain in the behind but are there any new developments on the SkyFi USB version? Thanks.

#90 taylor910

taylor910

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:29 AM

Any update on when we can use our skywire?

#91 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:47 AM

There's an update just released, with a big alert when it starts saying the skywire is now shipping, so I guess the answer is 'now' :)

About the update: it's a good one! Lots of new features and improvements listed. From a very quick play this morning, it was noticeably much faster, and compass mode is miles better. Tracking seems much quicker and accurate.

Good work Bill!

#92 Darren Bly

Darren Bly

Viking 1

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:42 AM

Pulling it down now!

#93 MrMartin

MrMartin

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:44 PM

I am really impressed by the performance improvements in 2.1, not even taking into account the other additions that are detailed on iTunes, its a major update. I am consistently blow away by the value I and additions we get from this app!

#94 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:53 PM

A lot of the performance improvements came from finally getting the entire star chart drawn using OpenGL. This sped things up by around a factor of 2.

Getting it in OpenGL was necessary for porting to the Android platform. We are making good progress on the port, but it will still be awhile before we have a finished app. Don't hold your breath.

#95 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:55 PM

Hi Bill, sorry to be such a pain in the behind but are there any new developments on the SkyFi USB version? Thanks.

There has been no work on this for the last couple of months. All the groundwork is in place, but we just need to find the time to finish it.

#96 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:43 AM

: ( pleeeese work it out, thanks. Can I pay for a one off unit that is designed to work with ServoCat Gen 3??? I was able to use it on my friends Gen 1 ServoCat and it was awesome. I want to us it with my Gen 3 ServoCat but it is USB. Please help!!! Thanks

#97 mkothe

mkothe

Viking 1

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:01 PM

I just installed Sky Safari a couple of days ago on the iPad and really lke it! Still need to play with it some more, but I do have a couple of comments/suggestions:

I really like e way the DSO images fade in as you zoom. I think it would look even more spectacular if the DSO outlined would fade out at the same time for those DSOs with images. Also, I think especially the emission nebulae show up a little too early or bright given how dim they are.

It would be great if the observations for a given object could be accessed from the Info screen.

Are there plans to have ann eyepiece view or finder circles? I know it's all about wireless connection to your go-to scope, but old fashioned eyepiece simulation would be nice (or is it there and I'm not finding it?

Overall really nice!
Thanks,
Michael

#98 peter k

peter k

Ranger 4

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:42 AM

Michael, there is an option for finder circles: Settings/Telescope/Display
Very flexible, with an option to display circles even if no scope is connected.

#99 273Kelvin

273Kelvin

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

Can SkySafari display constellation stick figures of H.A. Rey?

--
Marcel

#100 mkothe

mkothe

Viking 1

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:10 PM

Michael, there is an option for finder circles: Settings/Telescope/Display
Very flexible, with an option to display circles even if no scope is connected.

Cool! I hadn't noticed that, thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics