•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky Voyager is now Sky Safari

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
125 replies to this topic

#101 Armsoft

Armsoft

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:47 AM

Bill
SkyWire arrived ok, thanks.

Looks like a well made piece of kit!

Just hoping for some `Clear Sky`s` to try it out

Mark

#102 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:05 AM

Can SkySafari display constellation stick figures of H.A. Rey?

--
Marcel

Yes, choose "Modern" constellation lines in the Settings. They are based upon H. A. Rey's figures.

#103 dymy24

dymy24

Mariner 2

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:25 PM

I just discovered Sky Safari last night. After reading the revues, and searching CN of course, I downloaded direct to my iPad.

Cool app. My previous iPad/Phone app was Distant Suns, also a cool app. This one seems to be quite an improvement, as is already covered in this thread.

I ordered the Sky Wire today, and will begin learning to use it as soon as it arrives. Can't wait to try point and go and leave my handheld controller behind.

#104 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:11 PM

I imagine this has been addressed before but anyways:

I am running Sky Safari on a standalone 3G, that is no simm card, no wireless just the phone itself. The compass in the live mode doesn't seem to work. I remember reading this was some kind of a something, just wondering if there is a fix.

jon

#105 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:46 PM

Jon,

This is probably because the current version of Sky Safari only tries to use "true north". In order for iOS to determine the magnetic declination for your location, it needs web access (at least initially). Without it, the system just returns 0 when asked for the current heading.

The next release (available in days) will fallback on using magnetic north if true north is not available.

#106 dymy24

dymy24

Mariner 2

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:35 AM

Any idea how long Skiwire takes for delivery to the East Coast? I' traveling next week and I don't want to miss it.

#107 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:51 AM

Delivery is hard to predict. By default or shipping service generally uses UPS ground. However, they will occasionally use USPS priority mail.

#108 dymy24

dymy24

Mariner 2

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:57 PM

My Skywire arrived today. It's very windy out, but clear and reasonably warm, so I'll give it a try tonight.

#109 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:36 PM

Well your in luck because SkySafari 2.1.1 was just approved by Apple today. Be sure to update. Fixes several bugs.

#110 dymy24

dymy24

Mariner 2

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:40 AM

Worked like a charm. Installation is a snap - literally just plug the device in and connect the telescope.

I liked everything about it - with one tiny exception. My cable seems to be a little easy to unplug. Not a big deal, really. Set the iPad down on a chair and the cable stays secure.

#111 MrMartin

MrMartin

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:57 PM

In case anyone is interested in buying this app and is looking for more information on its features, I recently wrote a review for SkySafari on my blog if you are interested!
http://latenightastr...astronomy-apps/

#112 Delta608

Delta608

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:18 PM

Worked like a charm. Installation is a snap - literally just plug the device in and connect the telescope.

I liked everything about it - with one tiny exception. My cable seems to be a little easy to unplug. Not a big deal, really. Set the iPad down on a chair and the cable stays secure.

Does it unplug when actually holding your Ipad and guiding your scope...??

#113 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:14 PM

There are 2 types of dock connector, one that just slides in and one with little hooks to hold it in place. If it's a standard dock to USB cable, try and find one with the hooks.

(And on a general note, I got an ipad 2 a while back - sky safari runs great on it.)

#114 Delta608

Delta608

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:27 AM

There are 2 types of dock connector, one that just slides in and one with little hooks to hold it in place. If it's a standard dock to USB cable, try and find one with the hooks.

(And on a general note, I got an ipad 2 a while back - sky safari runs great on it.)

I think he was referring to the "SkyWire" which is proprietary to Sky Safari..RS232 to Apple Dock...Dont know which type they used, the hook or unhook version...Now Im not so sure about making that purchase..(Not cheap !!)

#115 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:51 AM

Yeah, I'd gathered that. But I don't know if it's a specific wire, or just a dock -> USB cable plus an adaptor. If it's the latter you can just swap the cable. If not, you're stuck with whatever is supplied.

#116 dramodt

dramodt

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:12 AM

FWIW. That Skywire is a joke, as is the SkyFi! Love their software, hate their hardware. I have both, and both completely unreliable. The SkiFi is only slightly worse, when it disconnects constantly. The Wire works, as long as you dont touch your iOS device, well whats the point then?
Chinese junk probably, and *BLEEP* service from the company.

#117 Delta608

Delta608

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:01 PM

FWIW. That Skywire is a joke, as is the SkyFi! Love their software, hate their hardware. I have both, and both completely unreliable. The SkiFi is only slightly worse, when it disconnects constantly. The Wire works, as long as you dont touch your iOS device, well whats the point then?

Thanks...I couldn't get passed the outrages shipping price..but your review settled it..!!

#118 dramodt

dramodt

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:12 AM

Yeah, sadly, its a great idea, just does not work with much reliability. I use SkySafari while I'm out all the time, both my iPhone, and iPad, and both get disconnected every time, and often.

#119 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:23 PM

Dave,

We have found that many of the connection problems with SkyWire are due to dirty contacts in the iOS's dock port. People carry these around in their pockets for years and they become full of lint and debris. The SkyWire uses many more of the pins than does the basic cable for syncing and charging your device. You might try cleaning out the dock port with canned air or by just blowing by mouth.

We have gotten back several SkyWires where the owners were having connecting problem yet they appear to work just fine for us when we receive them. We suspect the phone is the issue.

I'm not sure what problems you have had with our service. Please contact us again if you are unhappy and we will try to resolve things.

Bill

#120 dramodt

dramodt

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:43 AM

Thanks Bill, but the only offer I got was to "just send in your wire" well, as a consumer, that sorta thing dont sit well with me. Especially for spending $70-80 on a wire, now I have to go look for a box, figure out your shipping info, take it to some shipping place, pay out of my pocket, and wait it them lines from hell. And maybe in a few weeks a new one will come, and good chance it'll act the same.

It does the same thing in the iPad, as it does with my new iPhone 4. Disconnects if you move it around.

Works fine if you dont touch the darn thing. But then, why have it.

#121 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:13 AM

Dave,

If it is doing the same thing on the iPad then it is probably not dirt but is the connector is defective in some way. There are plenty of customers that are not having your problem so there is hope.

I can sympathize with the hassle of sending it back but I'm not sure what else we can do. The wire will fit in a padded envelope and it shouldn't cost more than $1 in postage.

#122 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:14 AM

Oh, I should also say that if you'd rather have a refund, we can certainly do that. Just return it with that request.

#123 dramodt

dramodt

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:13 PM

How about sending another one out with a postage paid return. I'll even throw in a few bucks to cover it, but I'm working 12 hours a day, and don't have time to send them in and all that. So if that's too much for them, then I'll speak my mind on every forum. And every one I meet.

But, no hard feelings, cause the sky safari is still by far the best app out there and recommend it highly.

I know you're cool bill, but whoever I contacted was not. And sometimes the pen IS mightier than the sword.

#124 dymy24

dymy24

Mariner 2

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:06 PM

I've had the "disconnect" issues virtually every time I've used mine. I'll send it back as soon as I get the chance. Maybe that will help you isolate the problem. I just returned from vacation and we are moving next week, so it may be a while. No worries - the device works well so long as I don't move it around.

I'm generally an active consumer, and I dislike poor service as much as the next guy. That being said, I don't share dramodt's frustration - although I can understand it. This device is a hobbyist/enthusiasts product. These are usually low production run niche products. They come with the same "bugs" that most early production model products do, and don't benefit from the high volume consumer testing/feedback that more mainstream products do. I desire for cottage products to continue to show up, so I am more willing to participate in the testing process.

#125 dramodt

dramodt

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:01 PM

Now I wish they would update the search engine. I cant just put in a number, it has to have ngc in front of it. Or part of the name of a DSO, or if I screwed up the spelling, how about some hints?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics