•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Vintage Jason Binos

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 May 2005 - 11:28 PM

Does anyone have any experience with the older Jason brand Binos? I picked up a pair of 7x35s for five Dollars at the local thrift store. There isn't a model listed on them anywhere but the care pamphlet that was in the box was copywrighted 1964. They seem fairly well built and the optics are scratch free.

Here is a photo. Jason Binos

#2 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 11 May 2005 - 11:53 PM

Does anyone have any experience with the older Jason brand Binos? I picked up a pair of 7x35s for five Dollars at the local thrift store. There isn't a model listed on them anywhere but the care pamphlet that was in the box was copywrighted 1964. They seem fairly well built and the optics are scratch free.

Here is a photo. Jason Binos

Jason has always been a marginal product at best. That was / is their market. However, a 64 could be quite good. I have a Jason Statesman of the vintage that is really good structurally, and not bad optically. It can't hold a candle to most of my stuff--because I'm an optics snob--but I will not part with it, either.

It's probably not collimated. But, anyone who really knows how to collimate it, will charge you 16 to 20 times what you paid for it.

That particular model is collimated with eccentric rings, and if collimation is out, you can probably bring it into perfect alignment--for yourself--by just working with one set of rings.

Cheers,

Bill

#3 DJB

DJB

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 12 May 2005 - 01:35 AM

Hello,

I agree with Mr. Bill Cook 101%. I generally like my JASONS as a grab-and-go binocular; I have two 7x35mm #138 (WA) and a 7x50mm (EWA for a 7x50 design) JASONS. However, BAK-7 prisims are commonly used in the earlier binos--check your serial number and try to compare, if possible or interested.

Mechanically, I find that they can be somewhat marginal--even within the same model bino, but collimation is almost a breeze with these guys. I purchased all three on e-Bay, and I was fairly lucky, One #138 has a slight decementing of one objective doublet (a slight haze), but this doesn't "hurt" the image for daytime observing at all--execpt for a bit less contrast and brightness on that side.
But, by using both eyes, compensation is on my side.

I prefer the American, single body unit, design. The JASON's bang for the buck is reasonable, in my opinion. You may have gotten a great deal for $5.00. I do not particularly care for the TASCO offerings.

I use my FUJI, OBERWERK, and MIYAUCHI models for the most demanding work.

Good luck with them, and enjoy.

Regards,

Dave.

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 May 2005 - 02:02 AM

Grab and go is why I bought them. My other pair of binos are 12x70. Thank you both for the advice. I wasn't expecting world class performance but I could only find info on Jason models that are more or less current and the consensus was that they were cheaply made. I wanted to know if that was always true. I think I will be satisfied with the capabilities of them for the day/night use I intend.

#5 DJB

DJB

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 14 May 2005 - 01:57 AM

Hello and final thoughts on the vintage JASON binoculars. JASON is no longer a manufacturing company, having been bought out by B&L (BUSHNELL) a number of years ago. I recall that JASON originated in Kansas City around 1947.

Yes, unfortunately, the current product lines do not compare to the earlier endeavors of most of these companies, i.e., with regard to price points vs. quality.

The grab-and-go and then throw-away offerings have been discussed in depth in this forum elsewhere. At any rate, enjoy what you have, as these guys are becoming harder to find these days.

Now I just wonder what some of these binos might sell for on e-Bay in, say, a hundred years from now!

I noticed that a B&L MARK-41 7x50mm WA WWII bino was bid on and sold for very nearly $4000 USD tonight. OMG.

Regards,

Dave.

#6 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 14 May 2005 - 11:37 AM

JASON is no longer a manufacturing company,Dave.

Jason never was a MANUFACTURING company.

Cheers,

Bill

#7 DJB

DJB

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:45 AM

Hi Bill,

Exactly, Bill! Just a brand name put onto an optic made in Japan, for many "companies" in those/and our days.

An inadvertent typo that I missed in the review of my post. Same as with SEARS, WARDS, JC PENNY, SERVICE MERCHANDISE, XYX, etc., ad infinitum.

I should have used "importer to the USA and others" to clarify my statement, to be correctly understood by all. Sorry.

By the way, Bill, do you know which Japanese house produced the JASON brand of binoculars? Or TASCO? Just curious but would love to know.

Regards,

Dave.

#8 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:34 PM

By the way, Bill, do you know which Japanese house produced the JASON brand of binoculars? Or TASCO? Just curious but would love to know.

Regards,

Dave.

Yes I do. However, while it is truly not rocket science, I cannot divulge the name because many years ago I promissed the CEO of that company I would not to do so. Those who really want to know can find out easy enough. Either way, I will not break a promise.

That CEO, when he was #2 (to his father), used to do onsey-twosey oddball favors for me, when his whole company is based on orders in the thousands of units. I hope you can respect my decision.

My shop carries more than 150 binos. This, of course, includes more than a dozen brand names. Even so, at least HALF of my inventory--regardless of the name on the box--comes from this one company.

Yes, they make some pretty cheap stuff on one end. But on the other is the best money can buy. In addition, they have never told me a lie and when they don't know something, they are men enough to admit it. I like that.

Cheers,

Bill

#9 DJB

DJB

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:14 AM

Hello Bill,

Thank you for that info. I appreciate and respect your commitment to the CEO('s) of that company.

The fact that the range is from low-to-high end is quite interesting enough to me, as you have already addressed one of my concerns. Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Dave.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics