•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Collimation via Eccentric Rings

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 12 May 2005 - 07:35 AM

Bill Cook said in another thread:

That particular model is collimated with eccentric rings, and if collimation is out, you can probably bring it into perfect alignment--for yourself--by just working with one set of rings.

Has anyone found a web page that describes how eccentric rings work and how to adjust them? I need something visual to help me get my mind around it.

#2 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 12 May 2005 - 07:51 AM

While Googling around I did find this very interesting page. It is a "FireTrucks and Equipment" technical manual and seems to have a wealth of information about optics.

http://www.tpub.com/...9-258/index.htm

The info on eccentric rings is on page 4-35.

#3 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 12 May 2005 - 11:33 AM

Has anyone found a web page that describes how eccentric rings work and how to adjust them? I need something visual to help me get my mind around it.

Navy Rate Training Manual OM 3 & 2 (now reprinted by Dover Press as OPTICS AND OPTICAL INSTRUMENTS). You will also find some information in #5, #6, and # 7 of Amateur Telescope Making Journal--Now published in volume 1 of the Best of Amateur Telescope Making Journal, by Willmann-Bell publishing.

I used some drawings and photos. It is not all inclusive, but then I am saving that for the book. Also, I let my company take over the magazine, and I don't profit from sales of the books, except in that it does not hurt a freelancer to have his name on two, thick, well-respected books.

Hope this helps,

Bill

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics