•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cherry Springs 2011?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
272 replies to this topic

#51 peleuba

peleuba

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:33 PM

The Mill Stream Inn is the best motel in the area.

Dave Mitsky

Very true. And better to book now as the energy companies can take all of the rooms if there happens to be active drilling. There are a number of active well sites now in and around Cherry Springs, especially in Germania and up around Ski Denton.

#52 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:58 PM

hi all,

I'll be at the Cherry Springs Star Party this year. Fly over from Ireland on May 20th .... Hope to meet a few CNer's at CSSP 2011 :grin:

John

One “off weekend” (non star party) in October 2008 there were two guys from the UK and another guy from Brazil on the field. All were with American friends. The two UK guys had planned their trip to Cherry Springs as a part of a business trip, but the Brazilian guy just wanted to see the northern sky for the first time in his life and ended up at Cherry Springs. I remember the UK guys being impressed with the dark skies, the views thru my 20-inch, and the bears, but mostly they were impressed with the local coyote pack howling all night. :)

Hope to see ya at CSSP!

#53 John Flannery

John Flannery

Ranger 4

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:27 AM

Many thanks George ... hope to meet up at CSSP. I'm staying at the Carter Camp Lodge on the 27th & 28th so it's not too far from the Star Party site itself.

I know what you mean about getting a peek at the other hemisphere's sky for the first time! The total solar eclipse from Zimbabwe in June 2001 was my first opportunity see the southern sky and we were amazed at the surfeit of deep sky wonders (I brought a pair of 20x60mm binos at the time.) Coming from 53deg north, the opportunity glimpse the Summer groups of Sagittarius/Scorpius better placed above the horizon whenever I'm in the US is always nice too :jump:

John

#54 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:35 AM

The Mill Stream Inn is the best motel in the area.

Dave Mitsky

Very true. And better to book now as the energy companies can take all of the rooms if there happens to be active drilling. There are a number of active well sites now in and around Cherry Springs, especially in Germania and up around Ski Denton.

Yep, it's full of gas workers now so they won't know until a week or two before the star party if they can take a reservation.

I booked us at the Westgate Inn instead. Looks OK.

#55 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:37 AM

Forgot to ask. Is there any other registration paperwork besides making a payment on PayPal? Am I missing something, or is it really that simple?

#56 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:06 AM

It's really that simple, you provided your name and how many are in your party before making the payment. The group that runs it does a really nice job, they have a list of everyone that registered and will just check you off when you check in at the gate. That's it.

#57 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:17 AM

Thanks!

#58 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:55 AM

Forgot to ask. Is there any other registration paperwork besides making a payment on PayPal? Am I missing something, or is it really that simple?

I always print out the e-mail I get back confirming registration, "just in case"..... both at this star party and all others. Showing the entry booth folks the print-out makes thinks go quickly.

#59 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:22 PM

Good tip George. Thanks. I just got that email yesterday.

#60 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:24 PM

Less than 48 days now. :jump:

Anyone bringing any new toys? If all goes according to plan, this will probably be the first major outing for my 16" dob. :)

#61 Chuck Jennings

Chuck Jennings

Vostok 1

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:09 PM

I'll be bringing my new type 2 paracorr, and a couple new EPs. And hopefully I'll have my 12.5" F7.5 completed by then. The family and I are really looking forward to the long weekend.

- Chuck

#62 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:17 PM

Anyone bringing any new toys? If all goes according to plan, this will probably be the first major outing for my 16" dob. :)

I'll keep my fingers crossed that your new 16" will be ready. How exciting! :jump:

I have a new set of ES100° EPs that haven't seen a dark sky yet, and this will only be the second star party for my Teeter. Looking forward to meeting some new folks! :yay:

#63 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:08 PM

I'll keep my fingers crossed that your new 16" will be ready. How exciting! :jump:

I have a new set of ES100° EPs that haven't seen a dark sky yet, and this will only be the second star party for my Teeter. Looking forward to meeting some new folks! :yay:

Thanks. :)

I've been held back by a pulled muscle for months so I can't lift the darn thing to take it out! :( It's all finished, I just need to put the mirror back in the box. I need to get it out once or twice and tweak where the altitude pads are to smooth out the movement, otherwise it's good to go.

#64 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:18 PM

Thinking of Cherry Springs?

Here's ( link ) my pictures from last year's star party.

#65 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:21 AM

George, do you guys usually set up in that part of the field?

David R is a friend of mine and we're usually pretty close to where he was set up. I get a few friends online and my local club to all set up near the back each year.

I'll hopefully have my 16" dob, which will be easy to pick out with a bright orange shroud. :jump: I'll also have a large 4 person green Eureka tent and an ed80 on a CG5 doing some astrophotos.

Only 48 days to go!

#66 t.r.

t.r.

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:50 AM

Can I simply show at the gate and register, say on Friday? My work schedule allows for no long term reservation...Is there a person or number I could call to ensure its still open before getting on the road? Thanks...

#67 tmcasper

tmcasper

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:22 AM

Another question from a CP first-timer. I will be there with my 9 year old daughter and we might want to get out during the day, maybe visit another park or get something to eat...are there clear lanes for vehicles or is there a danger of getting blocked in? Is it organized coming in, or just every man for himself....park where you want? Thanks!

#68 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:43 AM

They try to maintain lanes throughout the field, but some areas near the front can be crowded. Some groups of people that know of each other willingly blocked some of their vehicles in so they can set up better. Most people will set up and place their stuff (chairs, tables, etc) in such a way to keep a short lane in front of their car open up to the roads. Most of the field has gravel roads but the back 1/3 has some paths made in the grass.

#69 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:44 AM

Can I simply show at the gate and register, say on Friday? My work schedule allows for no long term reservation...Is there a person or number I could call to ensure its still open before getting on the road? Thanks...

Everyone is supposed to preregister, though I believe there may have been a few registrations at the gate after they called and confirmed ahead of time that there would be some room.

It's best to preregister though, this star party has gotten a lot more popular over the last ~7 years and unless the weather forecast is bad the field will be filled.

#70 tmcasper

tmcasper

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:59 AM

They try to maintain lanes throughout the field, but some areas near the front can be crowded. Some groups of people that know of each other willingly blocked some of their vehicles in so they can set up better. Most people will set up and place their stuff (chairs, tables, etc) in such a way to keep a short lane in front of their car open up to the roads. Most of the field has gravel roads but the back 1/3 has some paths made in the grass.

Awsome! Thanks for the info!

#71 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:45 PM

George, do you guys usually set up in that part of the field? .....

Unfortunately, no we don’t set up in the same place. I’ve been to the park about 7 or 8 times over the past 3 years, and I’ve never been set up in the same location!

This year the KAS has 8 members registered (so far, with two staying at local motels), and one couple is bringing their large RV. Many of us will probably go a day or two early if that's the only way to get good weather.

Unless I can’t get my 20-inch mirror back from the re-coater in time, I’ll have my 5x8 foot white cargo trailer with “Obsession 20” on the outside. I hope to bring one of my other scopes.

#72 RobTeeter

RobTeeter

Vendor (Teeter's Telescopes)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:22 PM

Will be there with my new 20" F/3.5 with ServoCat and SkyCommander. Had it out for First "Star Party" Light last weekend and WOW-E-WOW was it freakin' awesome to have tracking and Go-To. :jump: This is my first personal scope that I've installed the ServoCat on (I've done several installs for customers) and the first time I've actually been able to use the ServoCat over the course of an entire evening and its literally like seeing the sky for the first time again (well, with 20" of aperture this time around). ;)

But I digress...hopefully I'll also have my 4x6 "Teeter's Telescopes" trailer with me, so feel free to drop by and have a look - you shouldn't be able to miss me. :)

Take care,

#73 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Vanguard

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:18 PM

I am coming too, and will be bringing my 13.1 Teeter Coulter conversion (Right, Rob? Hint, hint.). I will also be a speaker on Chinese astronomy.

#74 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Vanguard

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:21 PM

What is the camping vs. viewing setup. Do people camp in one place, and have their scopes in a separate field, or do they set up their scopes right in front of their tents?

#75 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:28 PM

You camp right next to your scope. A lot of groups will set up in a circle or oval shape with cars on the outside, then tents facing inwards, then scopes in the middle. That way you and your friends are all a lot closer.

A lot of people will set up there telescopes in front of their tents with their car next to their tent. Then you end up with rows of telescopes.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics