•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Likes/Dislikes of Kindle

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
100 replies to this topic

#26 knightware

knightware

Vendor (Knightware)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:57 PM

Carol,

I have a new Kindle Wi-Fi. The only negative I've found is that the reproduction of some photos and maps leave a bit to be desired. I like history books and maps are often difficult to see in print, let alone in e-ink.

The positives are mainly convenience. My local public library takes a while to get new releases and the waiting list gets quite long. I may have to wait months to get a copy. Buying the Kindle edition of a new release is much cheaper than buying a new hardback. It's really neat to shop for a book and download it from your favorite reading spot. Another nice thing is the built in dictionary - cursor to a word and its definition is displayed onscreen.

A very practical advantage is that you can modify the font size if you want, and the e-ink really is legible even outdoors. You can also read a Kindle holding with one hand more easily than a book.

I guess you can tell I'm enjoying mine!

- Phyllis

#27 ebusinesstutor

ebusinesstutor

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:09 PM

I had a look at the Kindle, but I find my iPhone works fairly well for ebooks, so rather than buying/carrying a second device, I think I will stick with the iPhone until I decide to buy an iPad.

A "good enough" ebook reader for now.

#28 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:37 PM

Phyllis

Thanks so much for your input on the Kindle! I think I will really enjoy it, based on what has been posted. I'm excited!

#29 Paula E

Paula E

Non-standard Title

• -----

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:41 PM

You will enjoy the kindle. Only person I know who had one and didn't like it was a really avid tv watcher and just didn't read. My wife loves hers. (well both of her ebook readers!)

#30 csa/montana

csa/montana

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:46 PM

Thanks Scott, I do read quite a bit; especially during the Winter.

#31 dkb

dkb

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:17 AM

It should be noted that the iPad has a Kindle App (along with Kindle apps for Mac OS X and Windows) so any book that you can purchase for the Kindle can be viewed or purchased from any of those platforms. You will be pretty unhappy with the Kindle if any of your reading material consists of photos, color, or any detailed graphics of any sort. Amazon actually digitizes all their material in color and higher resolution then what the Kindle device can actually use because other devices like the iPad can take advantage of that. You also need some sort of external light to use a Kindle whereas the iPad you do not. The Kindle book format is proprietary to Amazon. Apple's iBook app on the iPad/iPhones/iPod touches uses the industry standard ePub format.

#32 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:26 AM

iBooks uses ePub which is a standard, but don't they apply their own DRM to protect it? If so, you probably can't buy a book bought in iBooks on another device.

That was my understanding of it, maybe I'm wrong. But that's the reason I'm totally against buying anything with this kind of DRM - if I buy a book, I might want to read it again in 10 years time. If the DRM no longer works for any reason, the book is lost.

#33 csa/montana

csa/montana

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:14 AM

It should be noted that the iPad has a Kindle App (along with Kindle apps for Mac OS X and Windows) so any book that you can purchase for the Kindle can be viewed or purchased from any of those platforms. You will be pretty unhappy with the Kindle if any of your reading material consists of photos, color, or any detailed graphics of any sort. Amazon actually digitizes all their material in color and higher resolution then what the Kindle device can actually use because other devices like the iPad can take advantage of that. You also need some sort of external light to use a Kindle whereas the iPad you do not. The Kindle book format is proprietary to Amazon. Apple's iBook app on the iPad/iPhones/iPod touches uses the industry standard ePub format.

I realize the iPad is a much more sophisticated item; but the price is about 3- 4X the price of a Kindle; and I believe one has to sign up for internet (AT&T)? for the iPad, which is another expense. All I want is something to read paperbacks & novels on. :confused:

#34 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:39 AM

You don't need an internet connection on an ipad unless you need 3G internet. The standard wifi model would just work on your house wifi network (if you have one). You'd only get a 3G ipad if you wanted to take it away with you and have internet access.

I guess as a rough rule of thumb:

- If you want to read books and nothing more, don't need colour or detailed pictures in them, and don't want to use it for anything else, get a kindle. It'll be much better and much cheaper.

- If you want to read books with colour images or detailed pictures, or you want to browse the web, or use it for the billion or so other things that the apps enable, get an ipad. The kindle won't do this, and the ipad will easily justify the money spend.

#35 csa/montana

csa/montana

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:13 AM

- If you want to read books with colour images or detailed pictures, or you want to browse the web, or use it for the billion or so other things that the apps enable, get an ipad. The kindle won't do this, and the ipad will easily justify the money spend.

I have an extensive Astronomy library; for any books that I wish to see the color/detailed pictures. As far as internet connection; since I do absolutely no traveling, it would seem a waste for the iPad, since I have my home computer sitting right here. And, as I mentioned, the price of the iPad is a major factor, for just reading books.

As I mentioned, a few posts up; I am definitely getting a Kindle. :jump:

#36 groz

groz

Vanguard

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:12 PM

Chris wanted a reader of some type for a while, our real concern was, with various options available, what is best for reading in direct sunlight, and, what is 'good enough'.

A few weeks ago we were visiting some friends that have all the gadgets, and got a chance to put the sony, kindle, and ipad side by side, out in the yard, in the sun, all with the same book on the display. That pretty much sealed the deal for us. On the way home, we stopped at future shop, and bought not one, but two ipads.

Bottom line is, the readers are a 'one trick pony', and the ipad will do that trick very well. it also does another trick extremely well, it's a 'couch friendly web browser', something the netbooks never really shined at, and a dedicated reader doesn't even pretend to try.

We got one with the 3g data option and gps, the other is just the plain wifi model. I really expected they would soon fall into the category of 'yet another toy not used to much', but, our experience has been just the opposite. It's not unusual at all now to see us both in the living room on the couches, browsing the web after dinner. For books, we've got tons of them on the ipads.

In terms of 'gadgets', I can only say, upspending from a dedicated reader to the flexibility of the ipad was probably the best money I've spent on gadgets in a long long time, and we have no shortage of gadgets around the house here.

For us, the real kicker in deciding it all was when we were looking at the 3 side by side, and realized just how flexible the ipad can be, as compared to a dedicated reader. It's _not quite_ as good as the dedicated reader in direct sunlight, but, it's certainly 'good enough', and far far superior to a typical laptop lcd screen. For us, the ipads have replaced 3 large / heavy bags when we next head out to a star party. One is her 'daytime reading material', one is her 'bag of star charts and books', and the third is my bag of 'daytime reading material'. The other real surprise for me, the email on the ipad is emminently useable, and, it does just fine for email on the road.

FWIW, altho mine is the 3g capable ipad, I did not buy a data plan for it. I didn't really want the 3g, but I did want the gps, and they come part and parcel in the same model. I didn't buy a data plan, and only have data thru the wifi, which works fine for me. We do like the gps on this one, and, I think the biggest mistake we made when buying them, was to buy one without that option. You dont have to put a monthly plan on the 3g capable models, but if you want the gps, you do need to buy the 3g capable one.

and another FWIW, our friends that have both, will tell you. Since they got the ipad, the book reader has become a dust collecting 'book end'.

#37 csa/montana

csa/montana

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:01 PM

Post deleted by csa/montana

#38 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:22 PM

Carol; there are lurkers to this thread that find this extra info very interesting (OK, so I'm not lurking any more but there may be others..... it could happen!).

So. It's not all about you. :poke:

:smarty:

#39 csa/montana

csa/montana

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:43 PM

My apologies Ron; I had gotten the information I needed, and didn't consider others may want info on the iPad.

#40 dkb

dkb

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:00 PM

I realize the iPad is a much more sophisticated item; but the price is about 3- 4X the price of a Kindle; and I believe one has to sign up for internet (AT&T)? for the iPad, which is another expense. All I want is something to read paperbacks & novels on. :confused:

Just to clarify for others, the 3-4X the price you are referring to is for the small 6" screen Kindle. The Kindle DX that has similar size screen as the iPad is $379 compared to $499 for the wifi only version of the iPad. And no, you don't have to sign up for AT&T even if you get the wifi+3G version of the iPad. Even then you only need to pay for the month you want to use 3G (which you do online), no contract involved. The Kindle DX is also LARGER then the iPad even though they both have similar screen size because the Kindle has to use up physical space for a keyboard on the device.

#41 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:18 AM

Free Kindle Reader for the PC .. :money::money::money:

Attached Thumbnails

• 4197965-reading.gif

#42 BoriSpider

BoriSpider

Skylab

• -----

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:49 AM

That's what I have StarWars. Then I go here and look at the free book thread for free books.

#43 WOBentley

WOBentley

Deep Sky Denizen

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:09 PM

While I personally have a Nook (and prefer it for a couple of reasons that are all personal preference) I am certain you will love your Kindle.
My input is in regard to covers. I do think they are important to keep the device safe and since you will be looking at it all the time...and holding it while reading...I would highly recommend the (somewhat expensive at $69) covers by a company in California called Oberon (I have no connection with them at all other than being a satisfied customer). They make many different styles of cover (24 designs for the Kindle 3), all from very durable leather, hand tooled. I love the feel and smell. They even have a few styles that are remotely astronomical in theme.
There website page for Kindle covers is located here:
http://www.oberondesign.com/Kindle.php

#44 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:36 PM

A small update: I bought an iphone 4 today. I've just been comparing ibooks on both the 4 and my 3gs - the iphone 4 has a new screen, with 4x more pixels in the same area.

Wow! The difference the new display makes is absolutely massive! Comparing them side by side with the same page from the same book, they're identical except that the 4 looks like a really well printed book with pin sharp text, and the 3gs now looks blurry and faded. The difference is much bigger than I was expecting.

How to describe it for reading? I'd say the 3GS is like reading an old, cheaply printed paperback. It's fine to read, but the letters aren't that clear and the ink has started to fade. The 4 is like an expensive glossy hardback reference book, the type with really crisp black text and lots of colour photos.

Lesson learned from this? I think screen resolution (or more accurately pixel density, how many dots per inch it has) is probably a lot more important than whether it's epaper or lcd (discounting the cheap and nasty LCDs, which I would never ever recommend attempting to read a book on). This is going to apply to both tablets and kindle type devices. Only problem is that I don't think either the tablets or the ebook readers will have anywhere near this density for a few years :(

#45 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:23 AM

...and back to that issue of ebook pricing, the register has an article on just that that's well worth reading: http://www.reghardwa...e_book_pricing/

In summary: they're expensive. There's good reasons for them to be expensive (both the author and publisher need to make money, and unlike the music industry they don't have other sources of income) but the way they're pricing them they often end up more expensive than the hardback even.

What they do say though is that there's a fair bit of price difference between ebook stores, and you're better off with a smartphone that will support multiple ebook formats so you can shop around. (You'd obviously be much better off with a tablet that supports the same apps on a bigger screen).

Personally, if I think a product like this is overpriced, I'll either buy the traditional paper version.

#46 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:01 AM

(And just to be clear - there are decent priced ebooks around it seems. But unless you can shop around, there's a high chance you'll be asked to pay too much for your book of choice!)

#47 Deb and Todd

Deb and Todd

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:30 PM

I have the original Kindle. I read a lot and spend over 120 days a year traveling.

I enjoy the kindle very much as I only carry that one device when I travel. At home, I probably read books I've bought much more than e-books.

I really consider the Kindle a fiction only device, but I do find myself using the dictionary quite often.

You can get books from many sources other than Amazon. You just have to back these up on a computer.

I also have an Ipod touch with the Kindle reader. Well organized kindle books (I have a reference bible) are a joy to use on the I-pod, but not so much on the Kindle reader. The reader's response time is just too slow. The downside to a kindle reader on your I-pod or droid based phone is that it's not easy to get non-Amazon purchased books loaded into those devices.

A quick note: Amazon will allow you to link 6 devices to one account. Your kindle, and kindle reader on the I-pad count as two. If your share books amongst the family this limitation may cause you concern. It's not for me at the moment, but I do have 5 devices linked to my current accout, my kindle, my I-pod, my daughters kindle, my daughtors I-pod, and my son's I-pod.

#48 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:20 AM

Tod: if you buy books from some non-kindle store, how do you load them onto the kindle? Does the DRM protection not stop it working?

As for android/iOS, you just need to install a different reader app instead of the kindle one. There are apps which support more or less all of the popular formats and DRM systems. The downside is that you end up with a bunch of apps, each with their own selection from your library.

Note that both of those points emphasise why we need to either get rid of the DRM entirely or at least have a single standard system. There wouldn't be any of these issues then. But it took many years to get rid of it in the music stores, so we might be waiting a while.

And, again, that other lesson from the mp3/DRM saga: anything you buy now with protection might possibly not be readable in 5 years, and might not work with any new devices. If that's an issue, try and find the book you want on a DRM-free store, or buy it on paper.

#49 dkb

dkb

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:44 AM

And, again, that other lesson from the mp3/DRM saga: anything you buy now with protection might possibly not be readable in 5 years, and might not work with any new devices. If that's an issue, try and find the book you want on a DRM-free store, or buy it on paper.

Apple did have DRM protection in iTunes for music but got rid of it and allowed you to remove it from all your previous music purchases as well. So what lesson did we learn from that? It was companies like Microsoft, Napster, etc. who didn't understand customers and the market that left people out in the cold.

And why shouldn't the authors/publishers be rewarded for their work? We only shoot ourselves in the foot if we want this industry to succeed by having wider selection, cheaper prices, and possibly DRM free paid books in the future.

Can you list a single legal "e-book" store that sells books of a decent selection without DRM?

#50 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:01 AM

Nope, I'm not yet convinced that I should purchase an ebook. Mostly because of my reading habits, and the fact that I'll often leave a book on the shelf for many years before reading it again. I know it'll still be there on the shelf, while a file can get lost or unreadable when formats change. That and the fact that I'll lend it to friends + relatives if it's good.

I fully agree that the authors need paying. As a rule, I'd say I read 70% on paper. Of the e-books, most are classics that are available for free (I've got 'around the world in 80 days' on the go just now, bit disappointing so far ;)). The remainder are free books that I spot now and then.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics