•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Garrett BT70-90 MK II's arrived!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
229 replies to this topic

#226 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:49 AM

I don't really understand the holdup being that long for a redesign that in my opinion wasn't needed. There have been little complaints on the 70mm right angle model and it was selling well. They have succeeded in losing business. If the new model has more clear aperture or an easy way to collimate, then I can see why, but the change better be big to be out for 9 months or more. They can't really raise the price on these either. If they were even $125 more, I would have saved for the 100mm model.

#227 Garfield

Garfield

Ranger 4

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:22 AM

I'm disappointed by the delay too, but this is a very small market after all. Unfortunately changing factories and undergoing yet another redesign (likely to save money) of what appeared to be a "mature" product (based on the reports here) means I'll be waiting at least another year before pulling the trigger on one of these.

I know there are some good 45-degree binos available but based on my experience I will only settle for a 90-degree model...there just no comparison when it comes to comfort.

#228 bgavin

bgavin

Apollo

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:13 AM

During the delay, I dug into other BTs, only to find they are mostly plagued by similar complaints.
The big Obie BT100 is very nice at low power, but seems to get mushy at higher magnification.
The (quiet) understatement is the 45-degree viewing is OK for birding and flat work, but mostly a PIA for over head.

I think Glenn probably has the right idea: roll your own.
It would be interesting to see what a handy fellow can do with a pair of GSO diagonals, a pair of OTA and some budget machine work.

I acquired the LER herd on sale, so I can recover my funds should they go up for sale.
The LER do indeed offer a desirable Long Eye Relief.
In f/4.7 the LER don't compete with TV plossls, other than providing much higher ER in the short focal lengths.
I'll check out LER performance in the f/6.7 APO when it arrives in late October.

#229 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:48 PM

The (quiet) understatement is the 45-degree viewing is OK for birding and flat work, but mostly a PIA for over head.

I think many of us here agree that 45 degree viewing is just fine for astronomy. What quiet understatement are we talking about?

I'd hate to do birding with a 45 degree bino!

Rich V

#230 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:58 PM

Indeed, it was the appearance of (relatively) affordable 45° binoculars that opened the way for to binocular astronomy for me.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics