•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

127 mak or 100ED

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 oxygen

oxygen

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:53 AM

Which of these would you prefer for grab n go on the planets. I do like the wider field of the refractor. How much more detail will the mak show?

#2 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:32 AM

The 100ED and the 127 Mak will be quite similar on planets. If the MCT is a premium version like Intes Micro, I might give it a TINY nod as a better planetary scope, but that would only be becuase for the same magnification, you get a bigger exit pupil, and if you have problems with floaters, this MIGHT be a bit of a benefit, but only a tiny one.

The 100ED is a better all-around scope due to its ability to do everything well. It also requires a bit taller mount, but if I were forced to choose, I would go with the 100ED (And I own a 100ED and a 5" SCT with superb optics, so this I am not a refractor bigot at all...I just think that below about 6", a refractor is a better telescope because it is more flexible).

If you get a premium 6" MCT, then that would be a better planetary scope. I owned an MN61 once and it was superb. If the choice were between a 4" APO and a 6" Intes Micro MCT, I would go hands down for the 6" MCT for planets.

#3 Rat8bug

Rat8bug

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:41 AM

I have both. IMO, the Mak is better for planets and moon. The refractor is better for deep sky and imaging.

http://www.barrie-tao.com/apex127.html

http://www.barrie-ta.../wotriplet.html

Ciao...Barry

#4 Ed Holland

Ed Holland

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:48 PM

Shop the used market and get both!

OK, that's partly in jest, but I have 3 scopes all about the same aperture size (see my signature) and enjoy each of them for different reasons. Vareity is the spice of life.

Ed

#5 dweller25

dweller25

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:27 PM

Sorry to contradict you Barry but ....

I have both and the ED100 easily VISUALLY outperforms the 127 on the planets.

Plus it cools down quicker too.

The ED100 is amazing value for money, the 127 is a bit disappointing.

#6 KerryR

KerryR

Soyuz

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:07 PM

I have an Orion ED100 and an Orion 127mm Mak.

Details seen in one scope are seen in the other. The ED100 has a better 'snap' to the focus, and a bit sharper image. On double stars, the Mak's bright first diffraction ring often hides dimmer companions.

Both scopes require cooldown when doing high power planetary observing. I've been shocked at the degree of tube currents visible in the ED100 when it's first brought out on a cold night. It stabilizes markedly faster than the 127mm Mak.

While I like them both, I prefer the images in the ED100.

The Mak is comfortably cheaper ($200 less), but not quite enough to make the decision easy on that note alone.

The Synta Maks may have more sample variability than the ED100's, so, if you can swing the +$200, I'd go with the ED100. (It's very rare to hear a complaint about the ED100's (other than the Orion Crayford), but somewhat more common to hear complaints about the Maks.)

They can both be mounted similarly, but the Mak will be much more stable with lower dampening times.

#7 j3ffr0

j3ffr0

Apollo

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:34 PM

A 127mm Mak is a good scope for the money, but I would rather have the 100ED. It should cool down quicker, and has great wide-field capability.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics