•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Wedge or Superwedge for 10" LX200?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 December 2003 - 03:55 PM

Hello all,

I am a new member of the Cloudynights forum and an old member of the LX90 Telescope User's group on Yahoo.

Soon I will be upgrading to a 10" LX200 (yay!) and I need advice about whether to purchase a regular wedge or a superwedge for the scope. What are the advantages/disadvantages for each?

I am interested in astrophotography (please see http://www.tomandaud.../astrolinks.htm ) so if the regular wedge is not "good enough" I'd like to find that out before I buy it!

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Best regards,
Tom Nord
Currently in Yonezawa, Japan but soon
to be back in Georgia, USA

http://www.tomandaud.../astrolinks.htm

#2 Echo

Echo

Gemini

Posted 27 December 2003 - 06:10 PM

Hi Tom,
Welcome to Cloudy Nights. For a 10" scope you will need the superwedge. It is designed for the 10-12" scopes. I don't think the standard wedge will provide enough stability. What part of Georgia are heading to?

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 December 2003 - 07:15 PM

Tom, first, welcome to Cloudy Nights! I've only read that the superwedge is a lot beefier than the regular. If Tina says you need the super, then you just can't argue with her! :D

Question for you...as the owner of the LX90, what does the LX200 buy you that the LX90 can't supply? (The question is for you also, Tina, since you told me at one time to consider the 200 over the 90).

#4 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 27 December 2003 - 07:21 PM

Tom a few things come to mind.....Mirror lock, Pec training, SMT training, Bigger beefier fork arms,bigger bearings and worms, Zero image shift microfocuser, you can get bigger scope (the LX90 is limited to 8"), All these things are beter for astrophotography than the LX90.

Now the LX90 is an excellent scope and I've seen some great images taken with them, but you get more bells and whistles that will make imaging easier with the LX200's

Don't let Charles hear me say that! :p seriously... :shocked:

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 December 2003 - 10:38 PM

Hi Tom,
Welcome to Cloudy Nights. For a 10" scope you will need the superwedge. It is designed for the 10-12" scopes. I don't think the standard wedge will provide enough stability. What part of Georgia are heading to?

Hello Echo,

Thanks for the reply. :) The reason why I asked was that on the online store's web site where I am thinking of purchasing the scope, there is the "Superwedge" for $399 and the "Equatorial Wedge for 10" LX-200" for about half the price. Was hoping to save a few $ but I do not want to sacrifice performance.

Heading to LaGrange, GA which is an hour SW of Atlanta.

Best regards,
Tom Nord

#6 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 27 December 2003 - 10:43 PM

The reason why I asked was that on the online store's web site where I am thinking of purchasing the scope, there is the "Superwedge" for $399 and the "Equatorial Wedge for 10" LX-200" for about half the price. Was hoping to save a few $ but I do not want to sacrifice performance.

I see that all the time in listings for used wedges but I've not seen a dealer say it. The reason you see it on older gear is that Meade DID include that wedge with the earlier, much lighter (pre-LX200) 10" LX series scopes. I am sure Meade doesn't recomend it for current 10" models.

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 December 2003 - 10:44 PM

Tom, first, welcome to Cloudy Nights! I've only read that the superwedge is a lot beefier than the regular. If Tina says you need the super, then you just can't argue with her! :D

Question for you...as the owner of the LX90, what does the LX200 buy you that the LX90 can't supply?

Hello Tom,

Thank you for the warm welcome! :)

I think Grizz answered your question mostly. But I will also add that a lot of LX90 owners have mentioned that the LX90 drives are not up to par with those of the LX200 with respect to periodic error. I have heard that error is worse on the LX90's and is smaller and corretable on the LX200s.

Best regards,
Tom

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 December 2003 - 11:43 PM

Has anyone had experience with an aftermarket wedge like the Milburn Wedge?

Thanks,
Tom

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 December 2003 - 01:04 AM

I've not seen or used the Milburn, but I do have and use the Evolution wedge from Mitty Observatory. It's a beautiful piece of machine work and it's extremely solid. Here's a link to their website if you want to learn more: http://home.cfl.rr.c...y/Firstpage.htm

It's not cheap nor does it look or behave like it is.

Jonathan

#10 R1200C

R1200C

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 December 2003 - 12:26 PM

Can't go wrong with a Milburn or Mitty, if you buy the superwedge you will have to invest more money, (I spent aout $150 extra)to get the adjustments up to the level of a Milburn or Mitty, then it's still probably not as good. I'm using the superwedge on a 10" LX200. If I had it to do over I wouldn't buy the superwedge.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics