•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What happened to Carina Soft Voyager yahoo group?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 Tim C

Tim C

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:07 PM

It disappeared from my groups and can even find it when searching for it in Yahoo. Also, link to the group at the Carina soft homepage doesn't work either.

#2 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:14 PM

They closed the group when Southern Stars splitted from them.

I have sent several emails asking support for Voyager 4.5 on my Mac, but I have not received a single answer.
:(
Really sad and unfortunate, because Voyager was really great and there's no substitue for it.

#3 Tim C

Tim C

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

Hmmm, that's interesting. It's my favorite planetarium program. I was going to inquire about the status of ASCOM with voyager since I'm moving to an Atlas mount and want to use eqmod. Guess I will have to try another one. I have starry night pro but it is a hawg!

#4 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:33 AM

Tim, by all means, send them an email. Maybe you are going to be luckier than me.
And please, if they do answer, let us know.

I am under OSX here and Voyager is seriously the ONLY program that is worth having, on the Mac.

#5 j.w.white

j.w.white

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:03 AM

Hi Emanuele,

I'm sure you've looked at TheSkyX applications, but I eventually weaned myself off Voyager and moved to TheSkyX (first SAE and then Pro). After a while, I haven't missed Voyager at all.

#6 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:56 AM

Hi Emanuele,

I'm sure you've looked at TheSkyX applications, but I eventually weaned myself off Voyager and moved to TheSkyX (first SAE and then Pro). After a while, I haven't missed Voyager at all.

The Sky X is good, but so is Voyager. Voyager is certainly the more mature of the two programs--for Apple or PC--at the moment.

#7 j.w.white

j.w.white

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:17 AM

I rekon it depends on what you consider "mature". I love Voyager's graphics, but it ain't got T-Point integration, Image Link or Mosaic Grid capabilities - at least when I stopped using it several months ago. I also think X's Database Manager and Chart overlays are more robust. Toss in custom horizons and the developing native Camera plug-in that'll allow you to automatically map stars to your T-Point model (while you sit inside and enjoy yourself a hot beverage), and I'd call that a pretty deeply designed package!

#8 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:58 AM

I rekon it depends on what you consider "mature". I love Voyager's graphics, but it ain't got T-Point integration, Image Link or Mosaic Grid capabilities - at least when I stopped using it several months ago. I also think X's Database Manager and Chart overlays are more robust. Toss in custom horizons and the developing native Camera plug-in that'll allow you to automatically map stars to your T-Point model (while you sit inside and enjoy yourself a hot beverage), and I'd call that a pretty deeply designed package!

By "mature" I mean bug-free and ready for prime time. ;)

#9 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:28 AM

And also, there's no comparison as far as price is concerned.
The UI of Voyager is absolutely beautiful. I have not tried TheSkyX but I have not heard good things either...

#10 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:25 PM

And also, there's no comparison as far as price is concerned.
The UI of Voyager is absolutely beautiful. I have not tried TheSkyX but I have not heard good things either...

I am a huge admirer of Bisque's programs. I would simply not want to be without the wonderful TheSky 6, and I'm sure TheSky X will be there _eventually_ too. :lol:

#11 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:01 PM

I am about to buy Voyager after having given the trial version a try... I like the fact that it computes the orbits of short period binaries.

Jon

#12 Tim C

Tim C

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:20 PM

I tried 'em all and liked Voyager the best. Lots of features, intuitive/very easy to use, and doesn't hog the resources of your computer. Now I have an Atlas on the way and want to use EQMOD but sadly Voyager doesn't work with ASCOM drivers so I'll have to try something else. Been playing with Cartes du Ciel and so far it's pretty good.

#13 j.w.white

j.w.white

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:19 PM

By "mature" I mean bug-free and ready for prime time. ;)

Egad! You've just insulted three fourths of the astro programs I use!!!! :lol:

#14 marked

marked

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:18 PM

Are any of you able to get the update function on Voyager to work, or have they totally gone away and stopped supporting the program. When I try to update it (either the program files or data), all I get is a message "Failed to download the file".

Ed

#15 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:24 PM

Ed

I'm getting the same error messages in Voyager and Skygazer. Looks like the website (http://www.carinasoft.com/) is in the process of being updated. Hope it's temporary...

peace & clear skies,

#16 marked

marked

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:29 AM

An e-mail to support about a week ago has gone unanswered. I hope this is temporary.

Ed

#17 tjay

tjay

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:22 AM

I emailed earlier this week too, and that has gone unanswered.

Anybody here local to the phone number on the website?

#18 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:32 PM

Yahoogroup down.
Website "under construction."
SkyVoyager sold off.
No answers to phone or email.
Program will no longer update.

Hate to say it, but these days that spells "curtains." Hope I'm wrong or that, at least, if worse has come to worst somebody picks up Voyager and presses on with that fine program.

#19 tjay

tjay

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

I agree that it doesn't look good, but the fact that the website is "under construction" with a non-generic page makes me think that there is a possibility that they will be back.

#20 marked

marked

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:41 PM

I guess we'll need to keep our fingers crossed since I really like Voyager and while I haven't tried it yet I'm told it works well with the mount I have (iOptron MiniTower).

Ed

#21 Tim DeBenedictis

Tim DeBenedictis

Vendor - Southern Stars

• Vendors

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:29 PM

I am (was) the developer of Voyager, and Carina was my former employer. Since I'm no longer with the company, I can't formally speak for Carina. However, I can share some of my experiences, which may help give you some insight as to what's gone on (and why I left).

Originally (2008), we wanted to use mobile phones as publicity for our desktop astronomy software (Carina's Voyager). When the recession hit in November 2008, we'd just started our iPhone project. In the face of declining desktop software/telescope hardware revenue, my boss at Carina withdraw funding from the project. I decided to keep going with it, and funded it personally. I signed an agreement with Carina which allowed me to continue to develop and promote the app under Carina's brand, but Carina disclaimed all of the revenue. I wrote about half the code myself, and hired another developer (btschumy) part-time to write the other half.

Carina (my former employer) was very unhelpful financially during this time - their hardware and desktop software revenues were declining, and I was cut back to part-time wages. At several points, I considered just giving up and going to work for Apple. Or google. It was an extremely difficult time.

And then the iPhone app started selling. *Really well.* First came the 40th anniversary Moon landing sale in July 2009, where we sold 135,000 free copies in one day. The next big sales spike came in February 2010, when we won a "best of show" award at MacWorld for the combination the app and the SkyFi wireless controller.

Sales gradually increased over the summer of 2010, especially as the iPad came out. Meanwhile, Carina's desktop software sales declined steadily.

In July 2010, my former boss at Carina sent me a "cease and desist" letter ordering me to drop use of the "Carina" and "Voyager" names. He also attempted to claim ownership of the iPhone app - although somehow he hadn't even shown his own lawyer the agreement we'd signed in May 2009, where he'd disclaimed all revenue from the app. Moreover, he (and his lawyer) attempted this takeover while I was in the hospital recovering from a bike accident. Since July 2010 he has never spoken to me, except through lawyers. I have not gotten a penny of the Carina Voyager desktop software that I am owed - not that it amounts to very much at this point, but Carina has refused to provide even an accounting.

We agreed to stop using Carina's names, and in October 2010 we re-branded ourselves as Southern Stars. The app was renamed from SkyVoyager to SkySafari. Carina has since dropped their claim on the app and its revenue. Additionally, Carina ordered me to destroy all confidential or proprietary Carina information, and to shut down the Yahoo group.

It's pure speculation on my part, but I suspect that Carina will declare bankruptcy later this year. A shell of the Carina web site is back up, but most of the links don't function; the Voyager registration/updates server does not work; you can't actually order anything from the "online store", and even if you could, you can't register it. Carina may have lost the code for the registration/updates server, and I destroyed my copy following their November order to do so.

So - that's what really happened. It is sad, and unfortunate, that the years of my life which were spent on Voyager now seem to have been wasted. But it's not all bad - the iPhone business continues to be a tremendous success. And now I've got a fantastic, highly talented, dedicated developer working with me. We're keeping our eyes on the future. The past is what it is, and while all things come to an end ... an end is also a new beginning.

Stay tuned to the future.

-Tim

#22 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:54 PM

Sorry to hear about all this.

And thank you for two wonderful applications. :cool:

#23 tjay

tjay

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:23 PM

Tim,

Thanks for the update.

I wonder if it would be possible somebody without prior knowledge of the file formats to reverse engineer them and write something that would allow updates to the satellite and asteriod data.

#24 sean76

sean76

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:05 AM

Thanks Tim. Best of luck with Sky Safari. It's my favorite iPhone/iPad app. Looking forward to many more years of great software from your team.

#25 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:21 AM

Voyager was the best OSX planetarium. There were no rivals. This is really unfortunate.

But thank you for the others, which I own for my iPhone and iPad.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics