•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Clock to mount on the 8SE

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
116 replies to this topic

#101 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:23 AM

What a thread - simple question - this post marks the 100th of the thread. Who'd have thought it.

Some folks say that the nearest minute and the nearest city are good enough for alignment.

I have my location tied down tight (Lat & Long from Google Earth) and so I aim to get the time as accurate as I can to.

To this end, I bought a "radio-controlled alarm clock" from a local store. Nice high LCD figures so that I'll be able to read it as I get older and a red display so night-adapted vision won't suffer either.

I've stuck 4 plastic "bumpers" (like those you get for cupboard doors to stop them from slamming) and put them on the base so that it is a snug fit into one of the 2" eyepiece holes on the tripod spreader.

For those in the UK, this is what I got. You may possibly have a similar thing in the US.

Plus, it doubles as a travel alarm. Brilliant or what?

Posted Image

#102 pedalmasher

pedalmasher

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:30 AM

Gee Art, you came up with that great clock just too late as I now await the one I sent for. I particularly like the fact that it is an atomic clock hence no need to worry about checking of the accuracy. The good news is that if someone has the same mission as mine - to find a clock to keep with a telescope - this thread will certainly be a good resource! :)

#103 Peter9

Peter9

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:46 AM

And here's that beaten up old wristwatch of mine that I keep in my E.P case.
It only shows me the Day, Date and time to the second. :rofl5:
It's all us poor people can afford. :bawling: :roflmao:

Regards. Peter.

Attached Thumbnails

• 4324648-Watch.jpg

#104 mexjon

mexjon

Poet Laureate

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:14 PM

Regards. Peter.

I think you had better get yourself a motofocus for that camera!

#105 mexjon

mexjon

Poet Laureate

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:28 PM

What a thread - simple question - this post marks the 100th of the thread. Who'd have thought it.

Some folks say that the nearest minute and the nearest city are good enough for alignment.

I have my location tied down tight (Lat & Long from Google Earth) and so I aim to get the time as accurate as I can to.

To this end, I bought a "radio-controlled alarm clock" from a local store. Nice high LCD figures so that I'll be able to read it as I get older and a red display so night-adapted vision won't suffer either.

I've stuck 4 plastic "bumpers" (like those you get for cupboard doors to stop them from slamming) and put them on the base so that it is a snug fit into one of the 2" eyepiece holes on the tripod spreader.

For those in the UK, this is what I got. You may possibly have a similar thing in the US.
Plus, it doubles as a travel alarm. Brilliant or what?

And HERE is what I found for the US on Amazon, by Honeywell. Looks very similar to yours Arthur. 4.02-Inches-by-2.56-Inches-by-3.66-Inches

#106 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:58 AM

Thanks John.

Looks very similar. I didn't post to this thread at first because I know that you guys over there don't have Argos shops! Couldn't resist when I saw the thread had 99 posts though! Glad it has been of some help.

#107 pedalmasher

pedalmasher

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:01 AM

John, I missed that one - looks good, especially for the price. Well first light should be approaching rapidly for my unit!! :)

#108 Peter9

Peter9

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:04 AM

Regards. Peter.

I think you had better get yourself a motofocus for that camera!

:funny:

Now thats funny right there. :roflmao:

Regards. Peter.

#109 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:12 PM

Well folks, it finally cleared enough to do the test. It was a success and the results are what I expected. In one respect it matters and another it doesn't. The writeup will be rather lengthy and I need to put it in a separate document then copy over to a new thread tomorrow.

PS - Jupiter is looking nice tonight.

#110 pedalmasher

pedalmasher

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

We'll be looking for it John.

#111 pedalmasher

pedalmasher

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:18 AM

Well, the Ambient Weather unit arrived yesterday and I think the review that I just wrote on Amazon says it all:

I purchased this unit for a unique purpose. I'm an amateur astronomer who owns a telescope that has to be synchronized with each use. Part of the process involves entering the correct time. In that I don't typically wear a watch (one of the benefits of retirement), I often found myself out in the field, ready to synch my telescope, but discovering that I had forgotten to bring my watch (I usually don't carry my cell phone either). I wanted a small watch that could be attached to the telescope for the aforementioned purpose. This unit "looked" better than the other ones for sale on Amazon, albeit more expensive and didn't qualify for free shipping. I ordered it because of the pizazz factor.

For starters, I was disappointed in the unit physically. The picture depicts the item as being a dark color, ideally black, but it is a bright blue color. The picture depicts the numerals as being bold - the numerals are considerably less bold then depicted. The unit is much thicker than I expected it to be. The description of the unit, which I presume comes from the manufacturer, indicates that the time is displayed in minutes and seconds. The latter is untrue - there is no seconds display.

Setting the compass mode is all but impossible. I have tried the procedure numerous times on two days. The procedure calls for slowly turning the unit clockwise until 360 degrees is displayed, waiting 3 seconds and then slowly turning it clockwise to the next cardinal point, pausing 3 seconds, until finally returning back to the starting point. Prior to finishing the procedure, the unit leaves that setup mode before one can finish the setup. I have tried doing it faster with the same result. Finally, prior to writing this review, I tried the procedure again. The unit on numerous, careful tries, would not calibrate and locked itself in the calibration mode. No combination of switches could get it out of this mode and frustratingly, I had to remove the battery to accomplish that mission.

Finally, knowing that I at least had a functioning clock, which was my main mission for this thing, I carefully set the time with my atomic clock. The next day, I checked it against the clock and it had gained 7 seconds!

Don't buy this unless you want to pay more for less!

I have attached the unit with velcro to my 8SE.

Attached Thumbnails

• 4331410-DSC02213.jpg

#112 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:58 PM

Most of the electronic compasses use the "around the circle" idea. It works fine but only if the internal software is written correctly. I would be tempted to send it back as aggravation should not be on our retiree menu any longer. I performed a sync on my Coghlan last week and it's now 10 seconds behind. I'm thinking the "Atomic" feature is getting more important. A clock mentioned earlier in this thread is looking good. It's atomic with backlight and seconds. If you always view from home a compass isn't very useful. In the field you always have Polaris.

http://www.amazon.co...ef=pd_rhf_p_t_2

#113 pedalmasher

pedalmasher

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 22 January 2011 - 02:10 PM

John, probably more hassle packing it up and going to the post office. It again proves the adage, the highest priced item is not necessarily the best one. That little atomic clock is nicely priced and would certainly fulfill the mission. It's slightly larger than I would like for the particular mission at 3.66". As an aside, are you aware of the astronomy program every Friday evening at St. Pete College? I attended last night.

#114 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 22 January 2011 - 02:19 PM

Was not aware of that program. Need to talk to someone in SPAC as I have an LX200R-8 that I might sell.

Do a search on Amazon for "casio atomic watch". I saw one suitable for $20. Walmart might have a Timex that will be ok.

#115 pedalmasher

pedalmasher

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 22 January 2011 - 02:26 PM

A wonderful free program every Friday night in their planetarium at 7 & 8:30 changing programs every few weeks as the skies change. After the last program, guests who want to can go up the observatory just outside of the planetarium and view some of the objects discussed on their 20+ inch telescope. 66th at 5th Ave. Unfortunately, the fog didn't allow the viewing part of the program.

#116 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:13 PM

I remember it well as I took astronomy courses there in 1959. We saw the same stars. Durability, what a nice thing. :crazy:

#117 pedalmasher

pedalmasher

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

Yup, I guess that planetarium hardware is from the 50s - Japanese made. A bit outdated, but effective. My only objection was that my favorite constellation, Orion, is not the proper relative brightness. Nothing a donation of a few hundred thousand can't cure! :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics