•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mallincam Xtreme Review

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Olivier Biot

Olivier Biot

Amused

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:05 PM

Mallincam Xtreme Review

By Jim Welisek.

#2 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

Thanks for the great review, Jim!

I'm sure that, once current Virgo galaxy cluster season is over for me, I'll be sending my Mallincam off for the upgrade.

You are certainly right about Rock being a stand-up guy.

#3 Snaproll

Snaproll

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:16 PM

I'm sure that, once current Virgo galaxy cluster season is over for me, I'll be sending my Mallincam off for the upgrade.

Like I said, "So many galaxies, so little time", ;)

#4 mega256

mega256

Apollo

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:22 PM

Very nice review...good info!

#5 Craig in Tacoma

Craig in Tacoma

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:32 PM

Glad to see your review published Jim. I am glad to be getting an MC Extreme soon (as soon as my check clears) Your article would have tipped the balance if I had not already had one on order. Thanks again for the review!

#6 Snaproll

Snaproll

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:29 PM

Glad to help :) Thank you.

#7 JimT

JimT

Viking 1

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:06 PM

Jim

What a great review you covered about every good point of the MCX and video astronomy. The community of video astronomy is growing fast now. Articles like this just help all the more. Young and old ,they are all impressed when they see objects using the MCX. No harm intended , but no eyepiece is going to give a jaw dropping view in color like the MCX and impress new comers like it does. Your well written review may help those who have been in the hobby think twice about video astronomy. It's not a bunch of bad web cam images any more.I could go on, but don't need to. Your review says it all. Well done Jim. :bow: :bow: :bow:

#8 Snaproll

Snaproll

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:00 PM

Thanks Jim :)

#9 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:28 PM

Some things look better with the cam, some look better without. Cams can be amazing but they got a long way to go till they perfect them. Saturation without processing being one of those major problems. Very great effort with the review though.

#10 George N

George N

Skylab

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:56 AM

..... Saturation without processing being one of those major problems. .....

Is it possible to “feed” these video images thru some sort of software that allows for simple “image processing” on the fly? If you are using an astro CCD camera to stream tenth-second exposures to a PC, and you are using typical software (like CCDsoft), you can adjust the display for the best view.

#11 Snaproll

Snaproll

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:37 PM

The Mallincam software has the ability to do sharpening and noise reduction filtering on the live image, (as well as downloading single images in multiple formats). When you're broadcasting through, you can't use the special filters, I guess they are incompatible with the broadcast stream. So yes if you aren't broadcasting you can do live image manipulation. Since I mainly broadcast I haven't used these features extensively, just played with them a bit but they seem to work ok.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics