•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Opinions on some used widefield eyepieces

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 asaint

asaint

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 29 December 2003 - 10:48 AM

Opinions on some used widefield eyepieces

#2 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 30 December 2003 - 09:10 AM

Very timely article; nice to have all those names in one group instead of dicreet articles.

I do think John should get some nice wood cases; the kind you see woodplane collections in, and start KEEPING eye pieces for a change. He would, over time, have the biggest and best eye piece collection in the world and he would still have those eye pieces he loathed to give up.

This article could easily be expanded into a small book; something John should consider. As it is he did a good job keeping the length down and having the article get away from him.

Nice job John!

#3 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 30 December 2003 - 07:04 PM

I agree with Ron 100%, great article John!

Charles

#4 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 30 December 2003 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for them kind words, Charles (and Ron).

I gotta talk to Allister, though. He's nice enough to leave the text pretty much alone but likes to change the titles to sound pretty dull! This one hasn't attracted nearly the response or interest I expected.

#5 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 30 December 2003 - 08:31 PM

I do think John should get some nice wood cases; the kind you see woodplane collections in, and start KEEPING eye pieces for a change.

Hi, Ron.

I probably have more eyepieces than telescopes, but find that I use only a few of them. I think I have my "pry them from my cold, dead hands" list just about complete:
3-6mm TV zoom
Vixen LV zoom
8.8mm UWA
12mm T4 Nagler
14mm UWA
17mm T4 Nagler
22mm T4 Nagler
35mm Panoptic
40mm SWA

bino pairs
16mm Nagler T5
24mm Panoptic

I'd replace the 40mm SWA and the 8.8mm UWA with the Tele Vue originals if the deal was good - but I bet I'd get them again later just to have 'em. I miss my 27mm Pan and will probably replace it. I kinda miss the 55mm TV Plossl. I am sure I'll trip over another 20mm T2 Nagler sooner or later - and wouldn't mind another 16mm T2 at the right price. I'm curious about the 26mm Nagler T5 but not curious enough at this point to pull the trigger on one.

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 30 December 2003 - 09:29 PM

So, what's your title for the article, John?

#7 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 30 December 2003 - 09:29 PM

Great job, John....I wonders why the Pentax XLs weren't in there...I haven't had much of a chance to use mine, but the 21mm and 40mm look like shoo-ins for the "pry from my cold dead hands" category. But then, I need the eye relief...

#8 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 30 December 2003 - 10:23 PM

I wonders why the Pentax XLs weren't in there...

Hi, Rusty.

That's one of the reasons I kept it so short; I dunno anything about the Pentax EP's because nobody around here uses 'em.

The original title was "'sleeper' eyepieces" because my intent was to draw attention to some older designs that I feel are better than folks realize. I thus restricted my comments to EP's I haven't seen much comment about but which I REALLY like.

#9 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 01 January 2004 - 09:48 PM

I'm sure eventually I sell/swap some of mine; the only 2 you and I have in common is the Pan 35 and the TV 8-24 zoom.

I tend to pick mine for the eye relief (glasses), so the shorter ones are Radians and XLs, and 27 and above Pans (and a 40 XL). The shorter Naglers and Pans aren't WF EPs to me, 'cuz I can't get close enough. :bawling:

#10 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 01 January 2004 - 09:59 PM

I tend to pick mine for the eye relief (glasses), so the shorter ones are Radians and XLs, and 27 and above Pans (and a 40 XL). The shorter Naglers and Pans aren't WF EPs to me, 'cuz I can't get close enough. :bawling:

Hi, Rusty.

I haven't tried, but I'd guess the Type 4 Naglers would be fine with glasses (they have adjustable eyecups sorta like the Radians), and probably the 8.8 and 14 UWA's. I've owned and didn't like the 4.8mm and 7mm original Naglers, and the Meade 4.7mm and 6.7mm versions. Most of my observing is with the 14" at 3500mm, so I don't need the shorter ones very often anyway. This spring I plan to use the dobs a lot and may end up looking at some shorter Type 6 Naglers.

#11 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 05 January 2004 - 02:54 PM

I just saw a sleeper on Astromart at what sounds like a reasonable price:
http://www.astromart....asp?cid=240092

#12 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 06 January 2004 - 12:44 AM

I agree that the T4s would ALMOST do it (at least Al seems honest on ER claims) - but 17mm is my personal minimum, so I've stuck with the Radians and XLs.

So quit tormenting me with the extraordinarily good deal on the NT4 13mm, which has a sale pending...(pouting)

#13 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 January 2004 - 01:06 PM

Hi John,

Great article there.

I've been trying to find the best candidate for the "pry from my dead hands" category that I can afford. I was considering getting one of the Meade SWA 13.8 (I think I'd rather have the UWA 14, but it's out of my price range).

Other than a slightly smaller FOV, are these two EP's comparable?

Oh yeah, I'll be using them in an 8" SCT for the foreseeable future.

Thanks,
Dave

#14 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 07 January 2004 - 01:28 PM

Hi John,

Great article there.

I've been trying to find the best candidate for the "pry from my dead hands" category that I can afford. I was considering getting one of the Meade SWA 13.8 (I think I'd rather have the UWA 14, but it's out of my price range).

Other than a slightly smaller FOV, are these two EP's comparable?

Oh yeah, I'll be using them in an 8" SCT for the foreseeable future.

Thanks,
Dave

Hi, Dave.

I have a pair of the 13.8SWA's; nice eyepieces. That one's a bit of a sleeper itself. Used ones show up on astromart for under $100 and that's a lot of EP for that money. I'm sitting here trying to think of another EP in that focal length range that I like as well for the money - and nothing comes to mind. Maybe a Tele Vue 15mm Widefield (very similar optically) but they don't turn up very often and have been out of production for a long time. At F/10 it'll do a great job - it might be a little challenged at F/5 or less. That's an eyepiece which has gone through some changes. If you are shopping used and have a choice, go for the Japan-sourced version. All of 'em work well but the earlier versions have a much larger eyelens, which I prefer. Either way, it's a safe place to store some money because you can always sell it quickly at the same price if you buy it right.

#15 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 January 2004 - 02:08 PM

Thanks John.

I have a $50 certificate at Opt, so maybe I'll just apply toward a new one of those. I like a really big eye opening too (that's what I like the most about my Siebert 9mm Ultra), but that certificate is burnin through my pocket pretty quickly. ;)

Dave

#16 SAL

SAL

Vanguard

Posted 09 January 2004 - 09:18 PM

John: Great article. As you know I'm a relative newbie, and I really appreciate your taking the time to detail some good eyepiece products on the market. I've only recently expanded my Plossl set to include 10mm, 17mm, 25mm, 26mm, 32mm, and 40mm, and 2x Barlow (the 25mm came with the scope and the 26mm came with a set I bought, so I'll probably sell one of them since they are so close in focal length, although on certain objects the slight difference is nice). I've fallen in love with the 32mm and 40mm for my Synta 1200 (f8.3) refractor. Your article will come in handy as I start to "upgrade" my EP's. Thanks again... (Scott)

#17 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 10 January 2004 - 09:10 AM

I've fallen in love with the 32mm and 40mm for my Synta 1200 (f8.3) refractor. Your article will come in handy as I start to "upgrade" my EP's. Thanks again... (Scott)

Thank you, Scott.

It was my goal to let folks know about some premium stuff out there with which they might not be familiar. If you like the 32mm and 40mm Plossls (and have a 2" focuser, as I think all the 120mm Syntas do) then a premium wide field 32mm would be a great place to start.

#18 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 11 January 2004 - 11:02 PM

That was an interesting article.

On a related note, why is it that there doesn't really seem to be much competition with the Panoptic line? Meade has Nagler competators (up to 14mm) and there are some pricy Pentax's that are much more expensive than Panos that seem to be Nagler price but little that seems to provide good correction at less than f5 and less than $400.

This seems to be a real sweet spot of price, FOV, and correction that is really owned by TV.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics