•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

100x zoom bino's

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 December 2003 - 05:23 PM

Thought these looked interesting.

www.gadgetwizard.com/product_info.php?products_id=59

#2 Charlie Fisher

Charlie Fisher

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 December 2003 - 11:44 PM

100X on a 30mm objective binocular. Hmmm. That's a new record I imagine, at least since Tasco's demise.

Quite interesting! With the optional nuclear strobe maybe something is instanteously visible? ;) "Gadget wizard" indeed. Don't breathe or let your heart beat while observing, Mt. Everest would bounce out of view.

Thanks for reminding us of the, unfortunately, less than occasional wacky claims of sellers, danM!

Here is what the *reviewers* say at the website:

"What can I say suitably impressed you can read a car number plate from a unbelievable distance, I just bought a stand for mine and you can't imagine what you can see.
A Ritchie , Stafford - Jun,2003"

Hey, I can imagine, A Ritchie: you can't see a **** thing.
Here's the next review, and pretty darned honest:

"Wow these binoculars don't half get you up close and personal.
Tam Ross , Oldham - May,2003"

No, Tam, like you say I bet they don't...

Charlie

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 December 2003 - 12:56 AM

It would be interesting to see how they perform (probably very very poorly). That's the first attempt I've seen at EXTREMELY high mag. for binoculars. Probably way too dark by the time you reach 25-30x.

#4 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 December 2003 - 01:55 PM

With its miniscule 0.3 (3/10) exit pupil at 100X, about the only thing you'd be able to see clearly would be the sun, WITH OBJECTIVE SOLAR FILTERS, of course. And your eye position would be so critical that if you so much as breathed the image might disappear. This is one of those cases where you have to scratch your head and say, "What were they thinking?!"

OTOH, zoom binoculars (at a reasonable power/aperture ratio) would be a wonderful thing to use if some manufacturer could overcome the basic design flaws of zooms: narrow FOV, dim images, and collimation problems.

My Nikon 8-16X40 XL Zoom is the best zoom I've seen, very sharp optics almost to the edge of the 5.2* FOV (wide for a zoom). However, when comparing it back to back with other good quality binoculars at 8X, 10X, and 15X, the XL Zoom is somewhat dimmer. This may be in part due to the smaller exit pupil (e.g., 2.6mm at 15X vs. 4.6mm for a 15X70), but probably mainly due to inherent light loss of the zoom lens since they are also dimmer, though less so, at 8X and 10X.

Despite this flaw, having the ability to "dial up" the right magnification for the object you want to view is a very nice feature. I'm not sure if aspherical lens technology, better coatings, etc. could overcome the inherent design flaws of zoom bins, but if they could be designed as good or even nearly as good as fixed power bins, they would surely be the most popular bins on the market.

Until then, the Nikon XL Zoom is probably the best compromise possible. The new dual power Leica Duovids look very promising, but are very pricey and heavy for handheld use. If anyone has used one of them (8+12X42) or 10+15X50), please post a review. Thanks.

Brock

#5 Charlie Fisher

Charlie Fisher

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 31 December 2003 - 11:47 PM

Technological and manufacturing advancements are a wonderful thing, and always seem to proceed faster than imagined. Since zoom is, really, a very nice feature that anyone would reasonably want so long as optical quality weren't overcompromised, I imagine smart people are working on it, as a market would surely be there.

Roofs are a less optimal optical arrangement than Porros, but for a number of years now there have been roofs that perform as well as Porros, for a price. And people buy them, even optical nuts that want every last ounce of performance, because for many they are easier to use and hold. So maybe zoom bins are the final frontier for binocular optical performance enhancements. No compromise, top optical quality image stabilized zoom roofs, imagine.

Hope springs eternal!

Happy New Year all,

Charlie

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 January 2004 - 09:13 PM

a hunnert x's in a bino...never thought I'd live to see it...bet I could see Wichita if I got up on toppa the house with one a these....

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics