•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NEAIC 2011 speakers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Vendor (NEAIC - North East Astro Imaging Conference)

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:07 PM

Here are SOME of the speakers for the 2011 NEAIC

Bob

Attached Thumbnails

• 4390477-NEAIC 2011-a-sm-2.jpg

#2 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:22 PM

Bob,

Have you set the schedule yet?

Thanks,

Ron

#3 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:20 PM

I'MMMMMM working on it, Sorry it's taking so long this year, Jim has been away and just got back, I'm going to yell at him tonight!!!!

One thing I can tell you is that there will be a 3 hour PixInsight Image Processing workshop on Thursday night from 7:00 to 10:00+
Bob

#4 tfield98

tfield98

Vendor (Field Tested Software)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:25 PM

Just a quick note to introduce myself here. As shown on Bob's original post, I'm one of the speakers at NEAIC.

I'm the author of RSpec, the real-time spectroscopy software. I'll be giving a talk on a bit of the history, science, and state-of-the art in the field of amateur spectroscopy. The talk will not be an infomercial or in-depth software demo.

What amazes me is that so few amateur astronomers are aware of how accessible and exciting spectroscopy is these days. Things have changed a lot over the past few years.

With an inexpensive grating, and a modest 8" scope, even in light-polluted urban skies you can easily capture some really interesting spectra.

Spectroscopy has rekindled for me the excitement I felt when I first got into observing and imaging. I'm not rocket scientist, so if I can do spectroscopy, anyone can!

At NEAIC, I'll be sharing what I've learned over the years. I hope you'll feel free to corner me anytime to discuss this stuff.

See you all in two months!

Tom Field
Field Tested Software
Seattle, WA
www.rspec-astro.com

#5 Thomas Davis

Thomas Davis

Dust Buster

• -----

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:10 PM

In 2007 I was looking at some images of NGC7023 and I noticed that it seemed that there was more "stiff" in the images than just the main blue reflection nebula. So in June 2007 I imaged NGC7023 with the intent to try to capture all of this other "stuff". After investigating various processing techniques I came up with this:

http://www.tvdavisas...es-1_00000f.htm

This image was a turning point in my pursuit of astroimaging. I began to find dust everywhere I pointed the telescope and I have learned some simple and straight forward techniques to bring it out while still maintaining its delicate color fidelity. While there are many ways to enhance dusts, some very complicated, I feel that what I will show at NEAIC 2011 will help you image these fascinating and complex nebulae without having to be a processing guru!

I look forward in meeting everyone. Please stop me and say hi.

-Tom

#6 AstroPixel

AstroPixel

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:21 PM

Hi All,

Jumping in on the introductions, I'm also one of the speakers at NEAIC.

I'm the Science Imager for NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory. When I'm not creating images for our press releases, I've been furiously busy adding rich metadata to our image archive.

My talk at NEAIC will touch briefly on the history of Chandra and its contributions to X-ray astronomy. I'll also discuss my workflow as Science Imager and how you can leverage image metadata to reach a wider audience with your own images.

I'm really looking forward to the conference!
Thanks,

Joe DePasquale
http://chandra.harvard.edu

#7 dsnay

dsnay

Viking 1

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:35 AM

In 2007 I was looking at some images of NGC7023 and I noticed that it seemed that there was more "stiff" in the images than just the main blue reflection nebula. So in June 2007 I imaged NGC7023 with the intent to try to capture all of this other "stuff". After investigating various processing techniques I came up with this:

http://www.tvdavisas...es-1_00000f.htm

This image was a turning point in my pursuit of astroimaging. I began to find dust everywhere I pointed the telescope and I have learned some simple and straight forward techniques to bring it out while still maintaining its delicate color fidelity. While there are many ways to enhance dusts, some very complicated, I feel that what I will show at NEAIC 2011 will help you image these fascinating and complex nebulae without having to be a processing guru!

I look forward in meeting everyone. Please stop me and say hi.

-Tom

Hopefully I'll be able to attend your talk, but most likely I'll be busy presenting at the same time. If that turns out to be the case, rest assured I'll be tracking you down!

Dave Snay

#8 V Peris

V Peris

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:08 PM

Hi all!

I'm Vicent Peris, from Spain. I will be taking the PixInsight workshop. It will be an introductory workshop, starting with GUI and software philosophy, and reviewing some of the most relevant tools it has.

I will give also a lecture on my work at the University of Valencia and at Calar Alto Observatory. Here I am leading an astrophotography program with a 1.23 meter telescope.

Best regards,
Vicent.

#9 Alan Friedman

Alan Friedman

Vanguard

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:44 PM

Greetings!

What a great line-up of speakers. I look forward to sharing some of my solar imaging techniques and recent astronomy adventures with conference attendees. See you in April!

best wishes,
Alan

Attached Thumbnails

• 4393941-sm_not_the_great_pumpkin.jpg

#10 Warhen

Warhen

Vendor (IP4AP)

• Vendors

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:20 AM

Nice lineup Bob. Great image Alan! Vicent, very much look forward to you. Bob don't schedule me opposite Vicent! Vicent I am Dave Raphael's observing partner- he is making magic w/ our data using PixI! Best, Warren Keller

#11 Moggi1964

Moggi1964

Vendor - Astro Laugh

• Vendors

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:06 AM

Looks like another brilliant line-up Bob; congratulations :waytogo: :waytogo:

#12 soreneck

soreneck

Apollo

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:49 PM

Hi all,

I am so stoked to attend my first NEAIC (and NEAF for that matter). The speakers and sessions look fantastic, can't wait. I'm particularly looking forward to Thomas Davis' talk, his images are inspiring.

Thanks to the organizers for putting together such a good line-up!

Will be driving down from Toronto and staying until Sunday afternoon, if anyone reading these boards is looking to carpool I'd be happy to coordinate.

Cheers,
Adam

#13 mrturtle

mrturtle

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:18 AM

Greetings!

What a great line-up of speakers. I look forward to sharing some of my solar imaging techniques and recent astronomy adventures with conference attendees. See you in April!

best wishes,
Alan

Alan, that picture is insane. It's hard for me to believe that someone took that. Amazingly beautiful...

#14 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:53 AM

Alan, that image is.. well the best I have ever seen!!!

I have been flat on back for a week now with the flu, still in bad shape. so thanks to every one that jumped in and picked up the ball.

Bob

#15 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:59 AM

Vicent Peris, WILL BE DOING IS 3 HOUR WORK SHOP THURSDAY NIGHT AFTER DINNER THAT WAY EVERYONE CAN GO!

Bob

from Spain. I will be taking the PixInsight workshop

#16 swalker

swalker

Associate Editor - Sky & Telescope

• Vendors

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:08 AM

I certainly can't wait to see some of these great presentations. I'll be discussing the undertaking of our winter hydrogen-alpha survey I've spent the past two years on with my colleague Dennis di Cicco. Beginning with the planning stages, our first attempt, then a second version that is both deeper and higher resolution (and never publicly released), as well as follow-up research. It's amazing what one can find when you go deep enough!
Here's a close-up sample of our work:
http://masil-astro-i...mosaic-HA-2.jpg

Hope some of you find it interesting.

#17 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:57 AM

Thanks Sean for posting,

hi every one, you have not been hearing a lot from me this year, I have been in the hospital and am right now. As in the past I will be calling everyone that has signed up it's just going to take a little longer. Everything is in place for the conference food, rooms, vendors, Great Speakers!! Tee shirts, ... Door Prizes! and I will be working on the conference book as soon as I get back on my feet.

Bob

#18 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:05 AM

Bob,

My prayers for your quick recovery. :praying:

I still hope to attend, but I am in a similar situation - one of my family members is battling cancer and we will have to arrange trips around chemo schedules. Unfortunately, I won't know anything until early April and that may be too late for this year's conference.

Take care and get well soon. :)

Ron

#19 swalker

swalker

• Vendors

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:18 PM

Wishing you a speedy recovery Bob! Spent some time in the hospital last year myself; it's no fun at all...

#20 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:43 PM

Thanks Ron, hope everything turns out well.

Sean, I remember, everything fine now?

Bob

Attached Thumbnails

• 4424286-Photo_00001.jpg

#21 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:15 PM

Hi Folks, a little up date most you already know but here it is any way.

The 2011 NorthEast Astro-Imaging Conference (NEAIC) will be held on April 14th and 15th, the Thursday and Friday right before NEAF.

The conference will be held at the Crowne Plaza (formerly the Holiday Inn)
in Suffern, NY, which has been completely remodeled and will provide us a lot more space than the previous years.

This year NEAIC will feature:
Peter Ceravolo
Tom Davis
Joseph DePasquale
Tom Field
Alan Friedman
Doug George
Alan Holmes
Dr. Steve B. Howell
Warren Keller
Thierry Legault
Jerry Lodriguss
Alain Maury
Kevin Nelson
Vicent Peris
Mike Simonsen
Dave Snay
Olivier Thizy
Sean Walker
Steve Walters

and others..

We have over twenty exhibitors lined up, and, of course, immediately following NEAIC is two days of the North East Astronomy Forum, with over 100 more vendors.

Please come and join us! Registration is now open.
For more details, see http://www.rocklanda...NEAIC/index.htm

#22 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:28 PM

Here is the Thursday talk Schedule

Bob

Attached Thumbnails

• 4428637-NEAIC2011ThursdaySchedule.jpg

#23 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:30 PM

Here's Fridays

Attached Thumbnails

• 4428642-NEAIC2011FridaySchedule-1.jpg

#24 swalker

swalker

• Vendors

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:31 AM

Everything seems recovered except my olifactory nerves; still have no sense of smell.

#25 Mr_T

Mr_T

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:35 PM

What happened to Chris Cook and Brian Lula ?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics