•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GOTO #106

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Sidereus Nuncius

Sidereus Nuncius

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:55 AM

Our club has had a "GOTO #106" donated to it. It seems to be the same telescope in a thread from a couple of weeks ago.

I am trying to get a ballpark on its worth, as it was a donation. It would seem to have some collectible value. What would it be worth, say, fair, good, excellent condition?

Attached Thumbnails

• 4399165-GOTO_106_cn.jpg

#2 strdst

strdst

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:21 PM

That is a very generous donation! What condition do you think it is in? It looks very good in your photo. Do you also have the mount and tripod? Have you had any time on it? I think I can see that the paint is mottled a bit and maybe a dent in the dew shield?... damage looks minimal and still lovely in the case. The how to use the eyepiece pasted in the case lid has the word NOTE (spelled properly). I have a Goto 451 where the word is spelled NTOE and is dated 1957. I have seen this typo a few other times. I believe your new telescope is post 1957. If fixing a date on this is important to you it's a start.

Although I have a Goto or two, the real experts are Steve MM, Chuck Faranda, Nave, and DonnW. I'm sure you will be hearing from all of us for the next while. If you could post more photos and physical descriptions it would be helpful. Even the hardware (tripod bolt heads) is of interest and full of detail. Hope you have a good camera with macro!

Are you trying to determine a price for the giver's tax deduction or are you considering selling it to finance something else more useful for the club? Anyway we just can't get enough pictures, please keep them coming.

Oh and although I'm sure you have posted here before, welcome back.

other keith

#3 Sidereus Nuncius

Sidereus Nuncius

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:33 PM

A little background: a club member was in the neighborhood and had this with her. She asked me to take a look at it to determine what it might be worth. As I don't have the 'scope in my possession I can ask her to get more images (I did forward her this thread's URL but I am not sure if she is a CN member).

A little more background: we have an outreach program geared toward children. Some of these children would like a telescope but their parents aren't in a position to buy one for them. I believe this instrument was donated for that reason. However, after seeing it, it is clear it is not a telescope to give to a child. We then thought that we could sell the telescope and use those proceeds to finance instruments for the children who wish one (I think our list is three, and a Starblast would probably be our choice for them).

So, yes, we would like to get a fair value for tax deduction purposes. Given that it may have collectible value, we would likely then sell the telescope and finance more "child-friendly" telescopes for those children who would like one.

Now that I know a little more I wish I'd have spent more time with the instrument. In addition to the OTA, we do have the equatorial head and tripod. Again, I'll have to request more images. The OTA seemed to be in good condition: there are black "smudges" all along the OTA that don't come across in my picture as easily as can be seen with the naked eye. The dew shield has some areas with a couple of issues like missing or damaged paint. I was unable to remove the lens cap: it appeared to have a center screw to hold it in place but did not want to move with 'ordinary' effort and I thought it better to leave that for when I might have more time. So I did not get to evaluate the optics.

I'm a complete newbie in the "telescope appraisal world" but I think I need more images so that condition can be evaluated, an inventory of the eyepieces and other accoutrement and I'll need to see if it can be assembled and look through it and evaluate the optics.

My first estimation is that it is in 'good' condition.

I will post more as I can.

#4 Sidereus Nuncius

Sidereus Nuncius

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:39 PM

I have one other image of the 'schematic' included with the instrument. There is other documentation as well but I don't have scans/images of that yet ...

Attached Thumbnails

• 4399370-schematic_cn.jpg

#5 Nave

Nave

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:49 PM

As I don't have the 'scope in my possession I can ask her to get more images (I did forward her this thread's URL but I am not sure if she is a CN member).

Could you ask her to remove the OTA and take a photo of the box interior and its contents without the tube? The interior of the box I'm working on is in shambles & disarray, and it would be very useful to know how to put things back in their proper place.

If the owner could provide a photo of the objective, that would be useful, too... for my interest in understanding whether these had spacers originally, and to understand condition for valuing.

Also, do you have the mount & legs for it?

If it's anything like mine, which I'm sure it is, it's optics are truly exceptional.

I'm going to defer to others on price.

#6 greju

greju

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:51 PM

I cannot tell you what this is worth but I will say do your research carefully! The only way I know of to tell what it is worth is to put it on the auction and see how much it gets. You and your club may be pleasantly surprised because if this telescope is anywhere near decent condition you should be able to buy many more than three telescopes for the kids!

#7 strdst

strdst

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:56 PM

This scope certainly has collectible value. Getting more photos out will stir up all kinds of interest. I'm already stirred :lol: I understand a great many Goto telescopes may be the property of school districts (in Japan) they do surface occasionally here in the states. I wouldn't be too concerned about the paint right now. I would encourage you to not clean anything. There is no need for you to do so and this old stuff can be problematic.

Here is a link to another #106 recently acquired by one of our favorite CN
members, Nave.

http://www.cloudynig...ll/fpart/1/vc/1

#8 Sidereus Nuncius

Sidereus Nuncius

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:28 PM

As I don't have the 'scope in my possession I can ask her to get more images (I did forward her this thread's URL but I am not sure if she is a CN member).

Could you ask her to remove the OTA and take a photo of the box interior and its contents without the tube? The interior of the box I'm working on is in shambles & disarray, and it would be very useful to know how to put things back in their proper place.

If the owner could provide a photo of the objective, that would be useful, too... for my interest in understanding whether these had spacers originally, and to understand condition for valuing.

Also, do you have the mount & legs for it?

If it's anything like mine, which I'm sure it is, it's optics are truly exceptional.

I'm going to defer to others on price.

The owner is working on getting pictures, possibly tomorrow. I will pass your request on.

#9 Sidereus Nuncius

Sidereus Nuncius

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:36 PM

Update for the group:

We are working to get more pictures and such. Please note that I do not own the telescope, I posted on behalf of a club member. She is going to get more pictures. She authorized me to put her email and phone number up, but even with permission there is something that prevents me from actually doing it ...

If you have an interest and would like her contact info, I will PM the contact info to you.

#10 strdst

strdst

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:43 PM

Hmmm, stirred not shaken. :lol:

Here is a picture of my 3" Goto...

Attached Thumbnails

• 4399639-3318007-IMG_0756.jpg

#11 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:03 PM

Keith, I finally saw that guy in a catalog a few weeks ago. Yours may be a 3", but not a #106 :), way older.

Here is a link to my Goto Catalog showing the #106

Goto 106

106's, 451's and 452's seem to be the most common of all Goto's in the US. I have seen several for sale. But, most are in poor condition. The ones I have seen in Japan are even in worse condition. The value of yours is going to depend on the condition, what is included (even little accessories command top $), and how many suitors you have (I will bet 3-4 already and 6-8 more in the waiting). What I have found is Goto collectors are willing to pay much more for their scopes as they are less prized by collectors in general, but more rare for those who do collect them. Unfortunately, these seem to show up at garage sales, estate sales, and private sales and the actual "value" is never really afforded. I agree with Greg, throw it up on auction and see what happens. If it is complete and in good condition, I for one will be bidding very high.

Looking forward to more pictures :)

Steve

#12 greju

greju

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:11 PM

Our club has had a "GOTO #106" donated to it. It seems to be the same telescope in a thread from a couple of weeks ago.

I am trying to get a ballpark on its worth, as it was a donation. It would seem to have some collectible value. What would it be worth, say, fair, good, excellent condition?

The exact same telescope or the same model?

#13 strdst

strdst

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:00 PM

Hi Steve,

I can't seem to open the pdf to see the #106 Goto so I'm confused. I hope I didn't confuse you or anyone else by throwing in a picture of my "eros" Goto. That was just for show and tell. So which Goto #106 is not a #106? I know not mine. Mine is just plain weird :lol:

other Keith

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics