•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hope some of you guys are out there tonight....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
806 replies to this topic

#51 astroman68

astroman68

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:54 PM

Clear in huddersfield again for the second sunday in a row. So, experimenting autoguiding a ST80 with a SPC900 on a AS-GT via PHD. Got it working at last. Next step, attach st80 to C8-NGT.

#52 THEPLOUGH

THEPLOUGH

ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:59 PM

Clear in huddersfield again for the second sunday in a row. So, experimenting autoguiding a ST80 with a SPC900 on a AS-GT via PHD. Got it working at last. Next step, attach st80 to C8-NGT.

Let us know how you get on with that. It sounds very impresive.... :bow:

#53 Grahamjs

Grahamjs

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:52 AM

Hi Everyone.
Did you all see Saturn last night?
Fantastic views.
Graham

#54 Peter9

Peter9

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:50 AM

Let us know how you get on with that. It sounds very impresive.... :bow:

Clear also here in Leeds. After what I thought were Iffy skies it cleared up and conditions turned out to be excellent.I spent a wonderful 4 hours observing.

And what Geoff said.

Regards. Peter.

#55 THEPLOUGH

THEPLOUGH

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:58 AM

Hi Everyone.
Fantastic views.
Graham

Their you go rubbing it in.... :mad:........ :lol: :lol: :roflmao:

#56 Peter9

Peter9

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:00 AM

Hi Everyone.
Fantastic views.
Graham

Hi Graham,

I missed Saturn last night. I started my session around 18.30 and called it a day around 22.30. Saturn at that time is still too low in the East for me. I could have waiting the other half hour or so for Saturn to be viewable, but there's always another night, besides, after 4 hours, I was ready for a break.

Pleased you manage to see Saturn and you were happy with what you saw.

Regards. Peter.

#57 Peter9

Peter9

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:04 AM

Hi Everyone.
Fantastic views.
Graham

I'm just guessing now Geoff, but I'm betting you didn't manage to get out last night. :rofl2:

Regards. Peter.

#58 THEPLOUGH

THEPLOUGH

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:18 AM

Hi Everyone.
Fantastic views.
Graham

I'm just guessing now Geoff, but I'm betting you didn't manage to get out last night. :rofl2:

Regards. Peter.

:bawling:.....................

Attached Thumbnails

• 4448521-Cloudy.gif

#59 Grahamjs

Grahamjs

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:47 AM

Hi Peter
I started at 1130, having been out all evening, just for a quick peep as it was clear. Did a sky align with the 5SE and was only going to spend 30 mins or so looking around and trying to take pics of the moon. Saturn was a surprise and after 2hrs trying this lens and that, I had to call it a day. I was cold but a very happy bunny.
Will have another go tonight and try the NexImage. Must capture those rings.
Graham

#60 haytor

haytor

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:33 AM

Forecast says my skies should be clear tonight, temps down to -2deg C expected, going to give some imaging a go, possible targets are, M101, M104, M63, Oh and Saturn later if the conditions allow.

Hope to hear you guy`s can get out too.

fingers crossed,

Tom.

#61 Tel

Tel

Voyager 1

• In Memoriam

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:51 AM

Hoping for you Tom ! :praying: Goodness knows you need a weather break from those drab Midland skies of late !

Mine too are supposed to be clearing by this evening to give a cloudless night according to the local forecast, (and we all know how reliable they are, don't we? :idea:) but at the moment they do have some way to go. Currently, it's dull, totally overcast and raining !

(BTW. I can just see Andy, ("Mushroom Bill") gazing forlornly out of that IT office window, praying for clear skies but most of all, for 5:00pm !

Make it sooner Andy, and we might make a night of it yet ! Don't forget it's POETS day) !

:rofl2:

Best regards,
Tel

#62 haytor

haytor

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:58 AM

Have faith Tel,

the cloud cover is moving southward and should in theory clear for you tonight, at the moment i have clear blue skies and a weird yellow sphere hanging in the sky. wonder what that could be :scratchhead:

Tom.

#63 Peter9

Peter9

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:42 AM

Hi Tom and Tel.

Its also looking good for Yorkshire tonight. Last time out I used an old favorite of mine, i.e the constellation feature on the H.C.
I enjoyed it so much that I plan to do the same (different constellations) tonight all being well.
I wish you both well and hope your threatened clear skies materialise.

Regards. Peter.

#64 MushroomBill

MushroomBill

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:49 PM

I couldn't see out of the office window for all of the rain this morning. Its turning out nice now.

Hope everyone gets a good, clear evening - wrap up warm though!

#65 Peter9

Peter9

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:20 AM

HI,
My skies remained clear and so, despite the full Moon, (some objects are washed out but there's plenty that are not) I enjoyed a good few hours in Dream maker.
The highlights were Caldwell 58 (NGC 2360) O.C, Caldwell 64 (NGC2362) O.C and 145 Canis Major, a lovely double with Gold and Blue components.
Hope others also enjoyed clear skies.

Regards. Peter.

#66 haytor

haytor

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:38 AM

Good to hear you managed to get out Peter, same here, but i had forgotten about the moon being up which dashed any hope of my capturing any DSO`s, i could get them onscreen, but very poorly.

So instead i turned my attention to the lunar limb, here`s two images i managed to get, both taken with my 6" f/8 refractor,2X barlow, Spc900nc web cam fitted with IR/UV. filter.

Posted Image

Other image to follow,

Tom.

#67 haytor

haytor

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:41 AM

Second image, i rotated this image 90 degrees, just looks better that way, well at least to me, LOL.

Posted Image

Tom

#68 Peter9

Peter9

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:18 AM

Managed another hour and a half at the eyepiece last night in far from ideal conditions.
It was a night of broken hazy cloud, and bright stars that always showed spikes no matter how good the focusing.
Viewed Beta Mons, a lovely triple star system with three bright young hot stars.
Spent some time on Saturn before the conditions finely made it impossible to continue.

Regards. Peter.

#69 ftrobbie

ftrobbie

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:23 PM

Peter

I commend your dedication to the cause. :bow: I thought with the weather we had yesterday lunchtime, we were going to get another clear cold night, despite the MO suggesting otherwise. Last night like most others was WTW cloud with occasional clear patches rolling through. Not enough to want me to sit outside and view.

Now cocooned up in a POD with a permanent, or at least protected setup might make me think again. So keep up the running reports it is encouraging to know that it can be worthwhile outside.

Today looked promising earlier on but billowing cloud has arrived. Another night of doing something else, I suppose.

Regards

#70 Peter9

Peter9

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:59 PM

Thanks Rob.
Having the Pod, which affords a permanent setup and comfortable observing, has made a great difference.

There's still time for it to change, but it's looking good for tonight here in Leeds. Clear skies at the moment.

Hope you have better luck soon.

Regards. Peter.

#71 ftrobbie

ftrobbie

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:06 PM

Just got back from playing 3 hours of tennis to see clear skies, oh pumperknickel.

Perhaps I need to arrange to do other things more often for the rest of you. :grin:

The extension dovetail arrived today, so looking forward to getting it fitted and using the scope safely.

Have fun

Rob

#72 THEPLOUGH

THEPLOUGH

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:40 PM

Spent best part of the day in the garden under reasonably clear sky. Come 18-30hrs clouds banked up, same old same old... :bawling:

#73 Peter9

Peter9

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:06 AM

My luck didn't hold. Got the same cloud cover as you've all been reporting.
Never mind, I've had my fair share of good luck.

Regards. Peter.

#74 haytor

haytor

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:13 AM

Sorry to hear that Peter, personally i never bothered, tonight mist is forecast for my area for later, which is a shame because i wanted to shoot Saturn, oh hum!

Tom.

#75 flboy

flboy

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:12 AM

We had some high thin clouds, so I used the small refractor since I wasn't going to stay out long.

I wanted to share how awesome Pleiades looked through the TV 32mm Plossl. The stars were bright & sharp and having the added sky around the cluster gave it a really neat appearance.

Tonight is looking great! I'm going to hunt some faint fuzzes that Uncle Rod wrote about in the April S&T.

Enjoy!!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics