•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cave Mirror Registry

• Please log in to reply
828 replies to this topic

#826 jcricket

jcricket

Vostok 1

• Loc: Denver Area

Posted Yesterday, 09:24 AM

Well, maybe it is time for a sixth new mirror?

I just received my 8" f4.5 cave

Here is the info inscribed on the side of the mirror

Cave Optical Co.

M-738720 

-F/4.5 - 36 1/16 f.l. 

Dec - 19 - 1973

I hope to be able to get first light on it today, but I may have some other issues to bug out of this scope before I get to it.............

till later

mark

Just an update on my mirror. I sent it to swayze Optical. He found it was petty badly over-corrected. It  has been reworked and is in rout to Spectrum Coatings for its new coatings. Steve says "it turned out fabulous" I would imagine it will be several more weeks(at least) before I get it back. 

I'll update more when I do get it back.

• TSSClay likes this

#827 apfever

apfever

Skylab

• Loc: Colorado

Posted Yesterday, 12:27 PM

I know Steve, been to his shop many times. Had my 36" checked last year. If he said it turned out "fabulous"  you just scored big time. Steve lets me do the test also and he walks me through the view. He's a great guy. Testing usually involves a quick town trip and lunch while the mirrors acclimate to the shop temp. I took two 25" in at the same time once, to compare. One was from his shop and the other I'll spare the makers name. The non Steve 25 was OK, not worth refigure and recoat considering size, but there was no comparison to the one from his place. The non Steve 25 was made using Zygo DPAC and had papers stating .92+ strehl.   I know where his 40" ended up and I'm looking into it. I'd sure like to do a comparison with yours and this 8".  This blue mind blower has the best 8" I've ever seen. It's F6 so some apple to oranges but it would be fun. My focus fingers aren't back to where I'd like but I'd manage.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010006.JPG

• Geo31 likes this

#828 jcricket

jcricket

Vostok 1

• Loc: Denver Area

Posted Today, 09:05 AM

I know Steve, been to his shop many times. Had my 36" checked last year. If he said it turned out "fabulous"  you just scored big time. Steve lets me do the test also and he walks me through the view. He's a great guy. Testing usually involves a quick town trip and lunch while the mirrors acclimate to the shop temp. I took two 25" in at the same time once, to compare. One was from his shop and the other I'll spare the makers name. The non Steve 25 was OK, not worth refigure and recoat considering size, but there was no comparison to the one from his place. The non Steve 25 was made using Zygo DPAC and had papers stating .92+ strehl.   I know where his 40" ended up and I'm looking into it. I'd sure like to do a comparison with yours and this 8".  This blue mind blower has the best 8" I've ever seen. It's F6 so some apple to oranges but it would be fun. My focus fingers aren't back to where I'd like but I'd manage.

Me too, but it is going to have to wait for many weeks. Maybe alter in september we could try.

till then................

• Geo31 likes this

#829 Geo31

Geo31

Cosmos

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted Today, 11:15 AM

Jon, I guess it’s time to transfer the Gustavo’s Cave from Chuck’s ownership to mine. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics